Poodle Forum banner

81 - 96 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Oh and in the short term situation, personally I would bring my dogs. I take them with me to various places and they are not anxious types, so I would expect them to be fine in a hotel for a few hours. My only concern would be barking if there was a lot of surrounding noise.
Hi ..I show my Standards SO it usually means Hotel or Motel accommodations. I check the room. 1st. for cleanliness .. (around the edges of the room, under the beds, behind furnituer and the bathroom ! ) then contact Maid service. Let them know .. tip them when we leave too. Keep Do Not Disturb sign on door when we are out. BTW ... If I can't have my dogs go with me .. I don't go !

·
Registered
288 Posts
I agree with Peggys mom. Always check on the dog sitter you’re meeting! Ask many questions! I am meeting a potential dog sitter today for a meet and greet and also meeting his dog. His reviews are all good but I will be asking for a list of references!!!
Hoping to find another potential sitter just in case

·
Registered
215 Posts
We left our Aussie Terrier at a boarding kennel that we'd happily used for years. But the morning I was to pick up the owner wasn't there at pickup time. I called and she met me, but our dog was covered in feces. I doubt that anyone had checked on him all weekend.

I will never again leave any of our pets with just one person. I have no idea what went wrong that weekend. I was too angry to speak much less ask.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
Hi ..I show my Standards SO it usually means Hotel or Motel accommodations. I check the room. 1st. for cleanliness .. (around the edges of the room, under the beds, behind furnituer and the bathroom ! ) then contact Maid service. Let them know .. tip them when we leave too. Keep Do Not Disturb sign on door when we are out. BTW ... If I can't have my dogs go with me .. I don't go ! View attachment 464281
Adorable photo! They love their mama!

·
Registered
288 Posts
So I met with the Rover person and I am very impressed with his ability to understand dogs. Norman marked on his plant inside and I was so embarrassed but he made me feel better by saying that literally every dog does it to the same spot. He said it’s all natural and to not feel bad (though I still do).
The only thing that bothered me is how he will take any amount of dogs at any time. I was at his house and there was literally around 10 Or more dogs of all sizes and temperaments. Barking and barking and barking. One dog was so shy she coward in the corner and barked for him to leave her alone (he handled the situation as best he could).
but there were dogs in almost every room and back yard. He said they all enough it since they are pack dogs which I get but... I don’t know that’s just so many dogs to care for.
Needless to say I don’t think I’ll be bringing my Norman there with that many dogs. He won’t get the quality attention I’m looking for!!
Or am I being harsh???

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
So I met with the Rover person and I am very impressed with his ability to understand dogs. Norman marked on his plant inside and I was so embarrassed but he made me feel better by saying that literally every dog does it to the same spot. He said it’s all natural and to not feel bad (though I still do).
The only thing that bothered me is how he will take any amount of dogs at any time. I was at his house and there was literally around 10 Or more dogs of all sizes and temperaments. Barking and barking and barking. One dog was so shy she coward in the corner and barked for him to leave her alone (he handled the situation as best he could).
but there were dogs in almost every room and back yard. He said they all enough it since they are pack dogs which I get but... I don’t know that’s just so many dogs to care for.
Needless to say I don’t think I’ll be bringing my Norman there with that many dogs. He won’t get the quality attention I’m looking for!!
Or am I being harsh???
Wow, run fast! That does not sound like a good situation. The person I'm leaving my dog with has her own two small dogs, and I made sure those two small dogs met my dog, and they got along, before I decided to use her. I told her that I don't want her taking in any more dogs while my dog is boarding with her, and she was fine with that.

I did also interview someone else who takes in more than one dog at once and she made it pretty clear that my dog wouldn't have the chance to meet the other dogs in advance. If I'm leaving my dog at someone's house, I want to make sure that my dog has met the other dogs, that they all get along, and that there are no more than 3 or so dogs there total.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Or am I being harsh???
No!!!

Marking on the plant indicates to me that he's not done a great job of cleaning up previous urine. 10 dogs is WAY too many. We had one of our dogs babysat somewhere they had 5 dogs (2 of their own, 3 visiting), and it was awful. Came back after a few days, and she'd apparently been submissive peeing on the floor, and growling, and was frantic to get in our car. Considering this was a dog I had seen another dog bite and hang from her neck, while our dog wagged her tail and looked confused... this was concerning. We never took her back. Instead, she was babysat by a friend who had one other dog, got to sleep on the bed, and didn't want to get in the car when it came time to go.10 dogs is way too much for one person to supervise, especially if he isn't choosy about temperment. With a choice between someone with 5 + dogs, or leaving my dog at a kennel (the local kennel walks the dogs 2x/day, and you can arrange for supervised daycare with dogs of similar energy levels as well), I'd go with the kennel.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Oh my goodness, I could CRY. The sitter I met with today is, dare I say, almost perfect??

She took Peggy's frantic hello leaping in stride, and within five minutes Peggy was laying quietly at her feet. She also asked great questions; she's a professional, in-demand sitter, not just someone who's put themselves on Rover on a whim; and her rates are fair.

Her plan while she watches Peggy this weekend is to bring her laptop to our house and do her taxes. Not much fun for her, but Peggy will be thrilled! Just having someone around, hanging out, is all she really asks for. And I'm happy that the sitter won't be popping in and out all day, working Peggy up and potentially messing with our rock-solid crate training.

For context: I've been actively searching for a sitter since September. It's not been a quick or easy or especially encouraging process. So don't give up! They're out there.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
Oh my goodness, I could CRY. The sitter I met with today is, dare I say, almost perfect??

She took Peggy's frantic hello leaping in stride, and within five minutes Peggy was laying quietly at her feet. She also asked great questions; she's a professional, in-demand sitter, not just someone who's put themselves on Rover on a whim; and her rates are fair.

Her plan while she watches Peggy this weekend is to bring her laptop to our house and do her taxes. Not much fun for her, but Peggy will be thrilled! Just having someone around, hanging out, is all she really asks for. And I'm happy that the sitter won't be popping in and out all day, working Peggy up and potentially messing with our rock-solid crate training.

For context: I've been actively searching for a sitter since September. It's not been a quick or easy or especially encouraging process. So don't give up! They're out there.
Yay!! Fabulous news! Let us know how it goes!

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
We've been in Seattle this weekend for my husband's birthday, and Peggy is home with her first overnight Rover sitter! We've received photos and regular updates. The sitter even took the initiative to empty our puppy poop bucket into the garbage bin and roll it out to the curb this morning, along with the diapers Peggy's been wearing for her first heat.

A little thing, but so nice.

Her rate is very affordable, even with "add-on" time. (We wanted full day coverage in addition to the overnight.) And when we've done quick checks with our Ring camera, they're just relaxing together.

We were able to have so much fun, knowing Peggy was being well cared for. And I'll be honest - I love travelling with my dog, but it was nice not having to rush back to the hotel for potty times, wondering if she's barking or anxious. I think a break sometimes is good.

81 - 96 of 96 Posts