Poodle Forum banner

61 - 80 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
We had dinner and a horror show. We left the little guy in our cabin in Disneyworld. it is a free standing unit, and he had his own little perch on a pillow in front of the window. He loved it there. We decided to turn on the camera and go out to eat and were gone no more than 1 hour 15 minutes. During that time, the phone notifications were coming fast and furiously. We turned on the live feed, and to our horror, he was running from the window to the door, whining and crying, and at one point, he sat up on his perch and howled (nose pointed in the air). We couldn't shovel the food into us fast enough and get back to him.

He does NOT do that when left at home alone, and we thought we left him enough of our scent, plus he had been in the cabin for 2 days already. Lesson learned, and we put him in Disney's day care, as I mentioned above.
That would have been very distressing!! So glad they had the daycare option for you.

Our old little girl Gracie started stressing like that when I left my career and she no longer had a "job" to go do with me every day. The lack of routine and stimulation really took a toll. I set up my iPad to record her when I went out one day, because I kept coming home to uncharacteristic messes (pees, poos, shredded things) and the chaos started within a minute of my departure. It was HORRIBLE to watch. And the yelping broke my heart. From my typically well-mannered, very mature girl!! I was shocked.

So I started crating her when I had to go out without her and voila she was a dream again. Settled right down. Perfectly relaxed. I could take that crate anywhere and get the same behaviour.

She was a dog that desperately needed structure.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
I just checked and Amazon.ca still has the version mary2e has, in stock for $39.99 Canadian. In fact, they seem to offer most of the Wyze smart home products now.

Without looking it up, I think the primary difference in the two camera types is the lower priced one is a fixed field of view, still quite wide. The higher priced has pan/tilt capability.

--------------------

It is hard to watch when they're not ok with being alone, but I find it comforting to know either way.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
PeggytheParti, so happy that you found someone you're comfortable with! Such a relief! Mary2e, good thing for the camera, your poor little guy! Sometimes I think ignorance is bliss, if they're safe and you'll be back in a bit, of course; we would have done the same thing with shoveling the food into us to speed back to the the unit!

·
Registered
11 Posts
We have a hotel stay of a few days in a couple of weeks plan to take our dog gate in order to contain our mini in the bathroom of the hotel without closing the door. She will have her bed, water and room to move about. We will also leave the tv on, the no entry tag on the door and notify the hotel office of our cell numbers. Hoping that works for the few hours we will leave her. Except for a few meals, she will be with us all other times.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
That might work very nicely. One thing was brought to my attention during a hotel stay was that if the bathroom is vented, sound will travel in and out. Register covers may help with that, if there are any, and if they're metal.

Magnetic Vent Cover

·
Registered
41 Posts
We have a toy poodle who we adore. Before we got him, our family used to travel a lot. Since we've had him, I haven't booked any far-away vacations because I'm nervous about leaving him. I've left him for a day or two with extended family, and they've been wonderful, but I don't want to keep imposing. I'm on the look out now for a good dog sitter as I could never leave him in a kennel environment due to this size and that fact that he's an incredibly picky eater. How did everyone here go about finding a good dog sitter? Also, related question, we are heading for a short vacation next month within driving distance and are planning on bringing our toy poodle. What are thoughts on leaving the dog in the hotel room for a few hours when we go out to dinner? He does have a crate, but we've always left the crate door open for him to freely move in and out. Is it more traumatic for the dog to be in an unfamiliar hotel room alone for a few hours or to be away from us completely for a several days with a pet sitter?
I lost a dog to an extremely careless sitter I found through Rover. She left her door open to take out the garbage! It was truly horrible, her incompetence and lack of concern. Rover is a bulletin board, period. Please check all references personally, do not depend on site "raves". Do a couple visits before you leave for any length of time. Even the best sitters cannot prevent all problems, but they greatly improve the chances. KNOW YOUR SITTER WELL. I had a timid pup who wouldn't go to strangers which made the situation much worse, however.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
I lost a dog to an extremely careless sitter I found through Rover. She left her door open to take out the garbage! It was truly horrible, her incompetence and lack of concern. Rover is a bulletin board, period. Please check all references personally, do not depend on site "raves". Do a couple visits before you leave for any length of time. Even the best sitters cannot prevent all problems, but they greatly improve the chances. KNOW YOUR SITTER WELL. I had a timid pup who wouldn't go to strangers which made the situation much worse, however.
This is absolutely the fear with any sitter. I was even anxious leaving Peggy with my parents and my in-laws. No one can care for your pet the way you can.

I find it very stressful watching other people's dogs. I've done it once for money, and many times just as a courtesy for family, and it's always challenging. It takes a long time to know an animal's rhythms and vice versa. Even dogs I've known well were anxious when their humans didn't show up again quickly.

·
Registered
276 Posts
We have a toy poodle who we adore. Before we got him, our family used to travel a lot. Since we've had him, I haven't booked any far-away vacations because I'm nervous about leaving him. I've left him for a day or two with extended family, and they've been wonderful, but I don't want to keep imposing. I'm on the look out now for a good dog sitter as I could never leave him in a kennel environment due to this size and that fact that he's an incredibly picky eater. How did everyone here go about finding a good dog sitter? Also, related question, we are heading for a short vacation next month within driving distance and are planning on bringing our toy poodle. What are thoughts on leaving the dog in the hotel room for a few hours when we go out to dinner? He does have a crate, but we've always left the crate door open for him to freely move in and out. Is it more traumatic for the dog to be in an unfamiliar hotel room alone for a few hours or to be away from us completely for a several days with a pet sitter?
funny to see this post now. I was going to make the same one on advice until I found my solution.
All last week I was out of the country and my dad took care of my dog while I was gone. They love each other and we live in the same house so nothing changed much in his routine. But unfortunately my Norman did not take kindly to me being gone with no one to play with 24/7. Let’s just say he tore a couple things up, including a blue pen on out white carpet.
Now I am home for good and Norman has been an angel since I stepped through the door. But this week and maybe into next week out roofing shingles is being redone completely. So this means people walking outside, on the roof, and tons of banging. This would be a disaster for my Norman.

I posted on Facebook to see if any of my friends had any good sitters they use. An old sorority sister reached out and said she worked for “Rover” which is an app and offers pet sitters for a day, or over night. They have reviews, photos. Etc. this is a total blessing to now have and know about.
They show you a detailed description of the person, their lifestyle, what types of pets they take care of, if they can administer medication, etc etc. tons of very good information that helps us fur-parents feel safe about our choice.
Yesterday I took Norman to his potential “day care” home where he met two new friends. At first they were apprehensive but within minutes they were having the time of they lives! Norman didn’t want to leave. His new day care host stays at home for work and has lots of experience to go with her. I asked a million questions and she answered them all. I dropped him off this morning and he was pulling with full strength to get inside the house to see his new friends.
I highly suggest trying Rover out if it’s offered in your area. They have a great selection of Options Such as if you want to have the sitter stop by your house, how often, or if you want the pup to be at their house. Etc.

I sound like an advertisement now so so sorry. But this is what I will be using when Norman needs a day-care with people I can trust based on their qualifications and reviews.
also much cheaper than a boarding facility!!!

·
Registered
276 Posts
To add to my post... Others are right to be cautious about Rover. I chose it because of how great the reviews were for this sitter in particular and because she is a past sorority sister so I have trust in her. Others I would go through a long conversation and a few in person meetings and ask for references.

Terrible stories about dogs being left and uncared for. Very very terrible. But the good thing is you can always give it a try and do a meet and greet to get to know the person better.
Hopefully you find someone trustworthy!! It can be tough for sure to give your fur baby over to someone. I agree with Peggys mom that having a sign in sheet or cameras is a great way to make sure they are doing their job!!!

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
I just met a great dog walker today through Rover. I really appreciated the way she handled Peggy, making use of our training treats and asking for basic behaviours like sit when Peggy kept (obnoxiously) jumping up on her.

She doesn't feel comfortable doing overnights (can't blame her, honestly), but it's nice to have a team of dependable folks you can turn to in case of emergency. I'm actually going to have her back next week just to play with Peggy for half an hour to give me a break and let them get to know one another.

·
Premium Member
1,420 Posts
I just checked and Amazon.ca still has the version mary2e has, in stock for $39.99 Canadian. In fact, they seem to offer most of the Wyze smart home products now.

Without looking it up, I think the primary difference in the two camera types is the lower priced one is a fixed field of view, still quite wide. The higher priced has pan/tilt capability.

That is the exact cam I got recently. It is good for a doggy-cam or a nanny cam. I haven’t used it yet to watch people or record it as I just added the micro sd card today. it is cheaper in the US site (at least when I bought it) but probably about the same or more once customs and fees are paid on it.

If you talk to your dogs the speaker is pretty good on the cam. You can also listen to them without them hearing you. I would definitely recommend this one. The Wyze app is also easy to use, and walks you right through the setup.

I have mine near the corner of the room and it shows the entire room except right up against the wall near where it is located. Probably about a 140° view of the room. Not bad for an inexpensive camera.

From the left edge of the rug to the slidingdoor it’s about 2 feet, and behind Stella I it’s about -2’ to the wall behind me.

·
Registered
276 Posts
That is the exact cam I got recently. It is good for a doggy-cam or a nanny cam. I haven’t used it yet to watch people or record it as I just added the micro sd card today. it is cheaper in the US site (at least when I bought it) but probably about the same or more once customs and fees are paid on it.

If you talk to your dogs the speaker is pretty good on the cam. You can also listen to them without them hearing you. I would definitely recommend this one. The Wyze app is also easy to use, and walks you right through the setup.

I have mine near the corner of the room and it shows the entire room except right up against the wall near where it is located. Probably about a 140° view of the room. Not bad for an inexpensive camera.

View attachment 464219

From the left edge of the rug to the slidingdoor it’s about 2 feet, and behind Stella I it’s about -2’ to the wall behind me.
how was the setting up process for you?? also is it a 24/7 recording or only when you look at it in your phone?

I have been thinking about a doggy can to keep my eye on Norman while I’m away.
I see there’s a 2 pack on amazon but I’m wondering if I should do the motion sensor ? Thought I think two cameras recording would be good too

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
I've been really happy with how well this camera works. They're readily available in the US thru Amazon, Micro Center or the Wyze site, and yes, lower USD price. I'd checked Amazon.ca when I first got and recommended these, and they had limited stock, and only sold the camera. Now Amazon.ca seems to offer most, if not all, of the products available in the US also.
how was the setting up process for you?? also is it a 24/7 recording or only when you look at it in your phone?

I have been thinking about a doggy can to keep my eye on Norman while I’m away.
I see there’s a 2 pack on amazon but I’m wondering if I should do the motion sensor ? Thought I think two cameras recording would be good too
Both versions of the cameras have the same features with the exception of the ability to pan and tilt.
Both are live stream whenever you view thru the app. 12 seconds of motion capture each time there is motion are stored in their cloud for 14 days free. If you install an sd card up to 32gb you can have continuous recording with automatic overwrite. The app is free, set up is pretty easy... Plug cam in, follow instructions in app and done.
I chose the pan and tilt version for about 10$ more. I started with one and now have 3 lol.
I put one in the front room where they hang when we're out. Then I got a second to watch them in the backyard and a 3rd for the bedroom because Remo sometimes goes up there to watch out the window.
I just noticed they're available from Home Depot too.
Check out the website

·
Registered
11 Posts
Dogs in the wild, well wolves, love to migrate- they are always on the move. It is always better to travel with your dog when you can.
With other breeds I traveled without incident without a crate, but my poodle gets crated. She's far more vigilant than my other breeds (aka velcro) and if
I didn't crate (and cover her crate,) she would spend the whole time in a hotel sniffing under the door waiting for my return and probably barking at every noise.
I only cover her crate when we travel so she knows it is time for her to sleep and she does.

I have used Rover several times with other dogs. They gave very good care and daily updates and usually have a friendly dog at home who likes company on his walks.
If you are in a pinch- give them a try.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
I have used Rover several times with other dogs. They gave very good care and daily updates and usually have a friendly dog at home who likes company on his walks.
If you are in a pinch- give them a try.
I'm so happy to hear you've had good experiences.

Just want to remind everyone, though, that Rover is not a dogsitting business. It is a platform to introduce you to independent dog-sitters and manage bookings.

They don't provide care any more than Craigslist (for example) sells couches or refrigerators.

So be sure to vet each sitter thoroughly. They may or may not have any experience, professional or otherwise, regardless of what their profile says.

I'm having my second meeting tomorrow with someone I found on the app. Will let her play with Peggy for half an hour to let them get acquainted and see how it goes. I've yet to leave Peggy alone with any of the folks I've interviewed.

61 - 80 of 96 Posts