Poodle Forum banner

41 - 60 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
We never leave Charlie alone in the room. The aforementioned guest children frequently gallop up and down the hallways , whooping and shrieking and although Charlie is silent on command, I worry he might bark if we are not there.
This! We love traveling with Jessie and started the week after we got her (she was an adult- 18 months at the time), but I would never under any circumstances leave her alone in the hotel room. If we can't rent a pet friendly house where we're going, we just restructure our vacation to include only dog friendly activities and bring her everywhere with us :) Next adventure we want to do is rent a pet-friendly RV and take her on a camping trip.

·
Registered
275 Posts
We travel with Dancer all the time but by car only. We also stay in a lot of hotels. Every hotel we have stayed out requires that she is not allowed to be in the room by herself. We just eat in shifts or get take out. It is worth it to travel with her as she loves to explore new trails. We would never leave her alone in a strange environment.
As an aside, we stayed in Prince George, BC & the hotel was very dog friendly, said that she could be at the front desk with them so we could eat dinner together.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
I think it really depends on the hotel (and of course the dog, too). Some clearly stipulate no dogs left alone in rooms. Others pride themselves on being dog friendly and ask that you just ensure your cell number is on file in case of any noise complaints.

We've had to complain once about incessant barking and howling, not so much because it was bothering us (though it really was) but because we felt so bad for the dog. It took hotel staff close to an hour to track the owners down. They were in the hotel pool.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
I'm enjoying reading all of these, thank you, so many great perspectives. I loved reading the post about the dog on vacation in Disney and good idea to the poster who rents a house instead of a hotel.
We have a nice, new, pricey boarding facility near us that screens dogs before allowing them to board and also has a video cam to allow you to watch while you're on vacation, but I can't leave my toy poodle there.... he's just too small and with so many employees I don't see how they would monitor if he wasn't eating his meals (which is likely, he goes on a food strike when we've left him with family). Plus, I've seen small dogs terrified at the dog park and even at the groomers around bigger dogs, and I would never leave him in an environment that would be stressful. I'm interviewing someone tomorrow who will take him at her home. A friend told me that when I decide to use someone, I should first leave him there for a few hours, see how he does, then pick him up. Next time, do one overnight. Then, if that's ok, leave him for a few days. It lets him know that we will eventually come back.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I'm enjoying reading all of these, thank you, so many great perspectives. I loved reading the post about the dog on vacation in Disney.
Disney has become dog friendly. We rented a cabin in Ft. Wilderness so we would have our own little detached cabin and not have to worry about leaving him and bothering other people. But it is not inexpensive.... It's $50 a day for a dog in your room (or cabin). Next trip we may rent an RV again to be set up in Ft. Wilderness for us so we don't have to deal with that ridiculously high pet fee.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
We had our meeting with potential pet sitters and they were lovely. Exactly the sort of folks I want watching Peggy. But their version of petsitting in your home is evening-early morning. Anything else costs extra.

I thought they'd basically move in for the duration of our trip. But nope. We'd have to pay for and schedule each day visit separately. Gets very expensive very fast! Plus, I think Peggy would be miserable being home alone that much, and the short visits would make her anxious.

Will use them for a night here or there, but still searching for a vacation solution :(

·
Registered
91 Posts
We're dropping Normie off for a two-hour stay at a kennel near us on Tuesday. If that goes well we'll leave him for an overnight before we go away in late April.

He's not going to like anywhere that's not home with us in attendance. But as long as he comes back to us in good health, we'll count it as a win.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
PeggytheParti, I'm sorry it didn't completely work out as planned. The more people I ask, the more people have told me that they found great people to board their dogs with on Rover.com. I know there have been a few nightmare stories on here, but I have heard from numerous people that that's where they found the person who takes their pet overnight. I've just heard that sometimes you have to drive a bit to find someone good.
I had an interview today with someone who takes dogs into her home; she has two small dogs herself, stay at home mom of teenagers. She seemed great, and my toy wasn't afraid of her dogs, in fact he really took to one of them. I'm leaving him for one day for a few hours to see how it goes.
Dianalee, good luck with Normie's boarding. He's super cute!

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
PeggytheParti, I'm sorry it didn't completely work out as planned. The more people I ask, the more people have told me that they found great people to board their dogs with on Rover.com. I know there have been a few nightmare stories on here, but I have heard from numerous people that that's where they found the person who takes their pet overnight. I've just heard that sometimes you have to drive a bit to find someone good.
I had an interview today with someone who takes dogs into her home; she has two small dogs herself, stay at home mom of teenagers. She seemed great, and my toy wasn't afraid of her dogs, in fact he really took to one of them. I'm leaving him for one day for a few hours to see how it goes.
Dianalee, good luck with Normie's boarding. He's super cute!
I hope it goes really well! Sounds like a great fit.

I agree regarding Rover. In fact, I didn't find them there, but the lovely couple I just met actually uses Rover, too. It's simply a facilitator for connection. It's still up to the pet owner to do their due diligence (though I think some people get lulled into a false sense of security by the sleek booking interface).

I've only contacted one sitter through the app so far, and while her home wasn't a good fit for Peggy, that wasn't Rover's fault. They encourage meet & greets prior to booking for that very reason. I just wish I knew how to request one. I can only see an option for booking and then it's up to the sitter to respond back with a meet & greet offer.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm not that familiar with that area. We are here since June, so learning my way around. Our kids and grandkids live in Bellingham, so we made the decision to move here to be closer to family. I researched sitters on Rover, but after reading about them not screening their people, I'm not so sure now.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
I'm not that familiar with that area. We are here since June, so learning my way around. Our kids and grandkids live in Bellingham, so we made the decision to move here to be closer to family. I researched sitters on Rover, but after reading about them not screening their people, I'm not so sure now.
Yep, lots of scary stories, but I suspect this is true of all babysitters, petsitters, housesitters, etc.

Rover is really just providing a platform for connection, which is convenient for both owners and sitters, but can make sitters seem more professional than they are.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
P.S. Welcome!! You live in a place with endless opportunities for stunning day trips and explorations. We had to really push ourselves to book this Alaskan cruise, since our motivation to stray far from home has dramatically declined since moving to western Washington. :)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
That would be great if it worked out for the two of you to exchange pet sitting! I'm on the other coast, in Massachusetts....a bit far, haha!

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Well I've booked someone! She'll be staying in our home for a night in February, and then for a week in the spring during our cruise.

She's a VERY experienced sitter with many repeat clients on Rover.

My question to you all: Would you install a "nanny cam"? I've been looking at a 2-pack from Ring, one to cover the main living area where Peggy's pen and crate reside (well away from the private bathroom and bedroom spaces) and one to position at the front window, looking out at the porch.

I'd of course tell her about it. It would just make me feel so much better to be able to check in.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I just bought 3 cameras to keep an eye on our little guy, both at home and while we're traveling. We bought Wyze. They are inexpensive ($25) and work beautifully. Take a look at them. The Ring & nest cameras are really expensive.

Wyze cameras have sound and motion alerts that can be adjusted. We basically keep the motion alerts low and the sound at mid-level. All we are concerned with is if, and how often, he's barking AND that he's not whining for us.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
I also have the Wyze cameras and have been recommending them since summer 2018 when I got them. You can go nuts and spend $35 USD for the pan version. If you have a Micro Center store near you, you can buy there or buy online from Wyze directly.

Link below to 2018 thread/description with photos of my LR in lit and unlit conditions. We use the cam to keep an eye on the boys when we're out and on the house when we're all out. If we're out to dinner, I just connect to wifi (don't have unlimited data plan) and watch them. We call it dinner and a movie lol. The servers usually comment and drop by more often to see what the boys are doing :).

There is no subscription fee for their service either. Their basic services, which are well featured, are free. I don't remember positively but the company was started by former google or amazon techy folk and they're very attentive to keeping the products updated.

Wyze cam photos

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
I'd heard of Wyze cameras, but never considered them. Thank you so much!! I'll do some more research.

"Dinner and a movie" is hilarious. Love it.

We're considering transitioning Peggy from being crated while we're out to just confined within her x-pen. But I don't want her getting into the habit of barking, so keeping an eye on her from afar would be helpful. She's silent while she's in her crate, so I'm reluctant to mess with a good thing. But I don't want her cooped up excessively while we're away and not here all day, every day, as is our current norm.

·
Registered
217 Posts
We had dinner and a horror show. We left the little guy in our cabin in Disneyworld. it is a free standing unit, and he had his own little perch on a pillow in front of the window. He loved it there. We decided to turn on the camera and go out to eat and were gone no more than 1 hour 15 minutes. During that time, the phone notifications were coming fast and furiously. We turned on the live feed, and to our horror, he was running from the window to the door, whining and crying, and at one point, he sat up on his perch and howled (nose pointed in the air). We couldn't shovel the food into us fast enough and get back to him.

He does NOT do that when left at home alone, and we thought we left him enough of our scent, plus he had been in the cabin for 2 days already. Lesson learned, and we put him in Disney's day care, as I mentioned above.

41 - 60 of 96 Posts