Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
Everywhere!!!! :lol:

Meau's crate is in Katy's bedroom... Meau is the only one who stays in her crate while we're at work (she will counter surf occasionally - so we set her up for success by not letting her get the urge to do it!)

I have a crate in my bedroom, but it rarely gets used. I could probably put that one in storage again...

There's another one in our living room, with the door propped open at all times... It will get used from time to time if someone wants a quiet place to relax, but mostly it just sits there...

We have one more giant crate in the basement. This one is for visiting dogs. For example, I'm currently babysitting a friend's black lab and this is her bedroom while she's with us... My brother's yellow lab will be coming for a visit on Thursday for the weekend, and sometimes I have multiple small dogs from the same family who I babysit and they get to share the big crate...

Besides the crates that are "set-up" I have about 8 more in storage (of all different sizes, some plastic some wire) just in case I need them for a rescue/foster or to lend to someone who "just got a puppy" and weren't prepared for crate training. :wacko:

Seeee!! I told you they were everywhere! :)

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
Vegas's crate is right next to my bed, and my boxer mix has never been crated, she roams the house where ever she wants to go.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
In my bedroom. They are only crated at night so we all sleep in the same room.

I have 2 big wire crates, 2 medium plastic crates and 2 small plastic crates in the grooming shop.

If I had the money I would a few more!

·
Registered
356 Posts
LOL They're all in my bedroom. The dogs start off the night on my bed, and then when hubby comes to bed at 2 or 3 in the morning (he's a night person), they get crated. All the giant crates make for a really romantic bedroom! LOL

Now, that being said I have baby gates everywhere that can be closed to contain a dog (mainly visitors) to one small area of the house.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, Harry doesn't get crated so Mia's crate is in my bedroom but I think Harry might like to be crated at night. I just don't want two giant crates in my room. I guess I could hide his in the living room some where.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Its nice when you get them ALL the same size. Put a piece of painted plywood or laminate counter top on them and use the bank of crates as a table or counter.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Captain's is in the kitchen, right by the back door so we're setting him up for potty training success (mostly worked so far!). Midge's is up in our room, but she only gets put in it if we'll be gone for more than two hours or so, or if we have guests who are fearful of big dogs.

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
Basement family room. Our home is built into a slope so the front of the basement is open to the outside. It is convenient to open the crates and just open the door to send them out for their potty. I am also going to make this into my grooming room as the kitchen just isn't going to cut it long term. Cleaning dog hair up from every surface, especially with grease on it, has gotten very old!!

·
Registered
356 Posts
Just a thought for those who don't let their poodles sleep in their bedroom with them - my previous standard poodle bloated three times in his life - and the episodes all started in the middle of the night. If I had not had the dog sleeping in my room with me, I'd never have heard him struggling for his life. Now, my dogs ALL sleep in my room. Every little sound from them will wake me up - but that's OK.

·
Registered
918 Posts
We're only juggling one crate and it's in the living room. I'm going to buy the table that goes over it. ( http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3432640 ) Not sure why as the table will be big enough to use as a dining room table LOL, but in a smaller house any extra storage space is useful.

I used to keep my GR's crate in our bedroom but I didn't want the long jaunt to the front door for a puppy. Perhaps when he gets older I'll move it up there.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Misters mammoth sized great dane wire crate is in the living room in the corner at the end of the couch, it actually fits really nice right there. And Gracie Lous small crate is at the foot of my bed since she loves to sleep by me but not on the bed. Osita doesnt tolerate kennels anymore but if she must go in one i stick her in Misters or baby gate her in the kitchen.

Oh and the dogs are only crated if they cant come with me or im running errands and its too hot in the car for them, the girls are usually crated during the day and Mister comes with me everyday to work. At night they all sleep with me, no one is crated then. Gracie crates herself though the little weirdo.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
TQ is no longer crated... her wire crate is folded up and hidden! However, she is baby gated in a room during the day while no one is here. She won't tear anything up if she does decided to hop the gate, but I prefer her not right at the front door when I get home for safety reasons.

TPFKAP is crated, as he enjoys peeing on my shoes. And while I hide them/put them away... he knows they're in the closet, and will pee on the closet door. He hasn't done this in some time, but better safe than sorry! I have had to put a lock on his crate door, seeing as TQ know how to open the latches that are standard on wire crates, and she will let him out to try and steal his toys/treats. His crate is in my room against the wall, and is so tiny, it doesn't matter.

Problem Child is still crated as well... he can't handle being out. He won't tear anything up, however it is the fear that he will get out of the room he is in and possibly get in a fight with our greyhound or TQ. The grey doesn't stay in a crate, he stays in a room... as he WILL tear things up if he gets out. Anything in a plastic bag is destroyed. (He is a greyhound, after all... most likely he was trained to chase a plastic bag for a lure.)

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just a thought for those who don't let their poodles sleep in their bedroom with them - my previous standard poodle bloated three times in his life - and the episodes all started in the middle of the night. If I had not had the dog sleeping in my room with me, I'd never have heard him struggling for his life. Now, my dogs ALL sleep in my room. Every little sound from them will wake me up - but that's OK.
OMG what did this sound like? That information would be very helpful for all of us to know.

·
Registered
356 Posts
It's the most gut-wrenching trying-to-vomit sound. Not your ordinary "I'm going to barf" gag - it was a real different sound from the bottom of the dog's soul. Repeatedly over-and-over again as the dog tries to relieve the distension in his stomach. If you imagine the sound of your dog when he's initially trying to vomit - then multiply that times 10. The force that the dog is trying to put into the vomiting is ghastly. If my dog had of been in another room, I would never have heard him. No barking or yelping, just the gut-wrenching trying-to-vomit sound. I'll NEVER forget it.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Everyone used to be in the bedroom, but with all the rain and mud we have had this year the monochrome boys got moved into the living room. So 2 crates in the bedroom and 2 in the living room. I guess we will have another in the bedroom soon. Reece doesn't stay in a crate as she is usually with me or in the bed.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
My dogs are all in the spare bedroom with the door open always. Suri was not crated until recently she had a couple number 2 accidents in my living room (cream carpet) But to be honest I think she wanted crated with the others at least during the day. BUT this all happened oer the last couple months, we did have all 3 crates in the living room camouflaged around plants and stands. I never thought it looked bad.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
The question is more where haven't crates been. They have been in the dining room (with a table cloth over them), the living room (with spare boards from the table over them to make an end table) in the rec room and lastly in the utility room. Lately I've been using them less and less. Betty Jo sleeps with us and Jenny sleeps with my oldest son (except for the nights when he cons us into letting both dogs sleep with him) So they were only being used when we were out of the house. But lately I've been leaving them in the bathroom while we are gone and its working well. So the crates might be getting packed away soon.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Funny how many "dog" things we have in our house and not think it looks odd at all! LOL People coming into my house think I have small kids with all the baby gates and toys!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts