Poodle Forum banner

Where do you buy Service Dog vest/leash?

7K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  snow0160 
I know this is a few months old but hey, it's a long training process with an SD and I know it took me at least three months to find a vest I liked (I'm picky?).

I suggest looking at Henry & Genevieve on Etsy (link here: https://www.etsy.com/shop/HenryandGenevieve?ref=l2-shopheader-name), specifically their capes with a mesh back, if you're worried about overheating. My Storm had one of those because she doesn't do as well in hot weather as cold and I wanted something lightweight but sturdy. Not the cheapest but the seller is amazing and will work with you on anything you need, and I've had one of her vests literally go through a nor'easter on the side of the road, likely run over a few times, along with daily use for about 6 months, a cat occasionally getting at it and playing, and it's still in marvelous shape and lovely. (specific type I used for Storm is https://www.etsy.com/listing/535313...-dog-mesh-cape-vest?ref=listing-shop-header-2 and it is pricey but SO great and made exactly how I wanted; now that Storm has career-changed, it's in a drawer waiting for the next SDiT to come into my life)

Downside of a cape like that is less room for patches (just the two sides, not the back, can take them) but it can be great for summer!

Also to respond to someone who mentioned Ruffwear, also expensive but I love them and they have a service dog (and other working dog) discount, so it's a little better. I love their hands-free leashes and have found them durable, adjustable, and very lightweight. I wouldn't use them with a toy poodle but for my 50lb mutt they're perfect. Another potential for a hands-free is Halti's leash, which isn't adjustable but has multiple D-rings and if one works as a waist/over-the-shoulder sizing for you (and it has for me, a larger woman, and my short-but-wide dad and my petite mom) it can be very nice. Sturdy, black or red as options, available in stores more readily than Ruffwear so you can get a feel in person.

Apologies for reviving an older thread, just wish I'd seen something like this at the beginning with Storm and had a few options to add to the mix. New to Poodle Forum so if this is bad form (posting on something from a few months ago), mea culpa.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.