Poodle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I am planning on eventually having 4 (shhh don't tell hubby yet though lol)..I would like to learn how to groom them so they stay somewhat neat. They have a groomer at our vets but for 1..she isn't all that good cause I see gouges on the dogs that come out..so she doesnt blend well..but he told me she doesnt teach cause she is self taught.
We live in a very rural area of Mississippi and I am disabled so driving long distances on regular basis is out. I was looking for books or maybe video teaching thing if anyone knows of any good ones to get me started.
It may not work out though cause my hands cant do real fine movement due to neuropathy but can work with them ok long as not any tiny type work.
I will have to have their nails clipped because I can't trust my hands to not move. I personally don't like the foo foo cuts but know they are needed for showing if you want to. I like them trimmed nicely with close cuts on face and feet and around bootie for hygenic reasons myself.But thats just me :cyclops:
t

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
I got a cd with my clipper I bought and it showed the basic for shaving the face, feet and tail and what direction to shave the body. Then I went out and shaved my poodle (ELI) in my version of the continental clip. It turned out ok for my first time grooming a poodle. He got tons of attention for sure. lol

After that I started searching online for video's and pics etc. Utube had a few decent video's that I watched. Eventually I bought the Shirley Kalstone book (Poodle clipping and grooming) and have been reading off and on about her recommended techniques for grooming. I would really like to take a course on Poodle grooming. I don't think anyone offer's on strictly poodles though. For now Im self teaching myself and offering discounted prices on Poodle grooming in my home. My first two clients will be hear Sunday. I'll take before and after pics so everyone can tell me what they think.

·
Registered
18 Posts
hey, if you don't trust yourself clipping your babies nails you should try the pedi-paws nail trimmer. my aunt bought it and said it really works, i borrowed it from her yesterday (had to try it out myself) and she was right. it does take a little longer to trim their nails, than what they advertise. one set back i had with it, is the vibrations and noise from it. my dogs were a little nervous at first, but they took to it, with treats of course.

also if you do decide to buy the pedi-paws don't buy it off the as seen on tv web site, they over charge (my aunt paid over $70.00). heres a website that sells them cheaper

http://www.outlettrail.com/store/product.php?productid=31094

anyone else ever try pedi-paws?

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
The pedi-paw is $19.99 at Petsmart. Its there everyday price on the Pedi. Walgreens also carries it for the same price. Just a FYI

I bought mine at petsmart and it was ok. I already have a dremel and I wanted to see how the pedi paw compared. It worked well for my small dog and my standard puppy. On a larger dog it takes a long time to file the nail and Im not that patient. lol So for me having mostly large dogs I prefer my dremel. If I had small dogs then it would be great.

Are you sure the one you borrowed was a pedi paws or the pedi-cure for dogs? The pedi-cure is the pricier pet dremel thats out. Its almost identical to the pedi-paw but some say they prefer it to the pedi-paw $19.99 dremel.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
We have the peticure and love it. Use it for our standard and toy poodles, works great. Originally used a regular dremel, then bought a less expensive peticure then we now use and was not that impressed, so sent it back and bought peticures top of the line nail trimmer, the one that you plug in, not the recharable one and it works great and does not take very long to file the nails at all. This peticure, our doggie bath and our Challengeair and our other hair dryer (we now have 2)so that we can do 2 dogs at a time or get 1 done in half the time are probably some of the most wisest purchases we have made this past year. Seems our priorities always seem to be doggie related. LOL. I think this is probably the case with many of us on this forum, especially for those of us that do not have little children at home. Of course children are #1, but fur babies seem to run a very close race with them.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I bought several DVDs of Anita Bax, clipping poodles in lamb, continental, puppy pants etc. It's useful to see someone actually grooming a live dog. I don't know if you can get her in America. I also bought a book - Poodle Grooming and Clipping by Kalston - excellent for step by step instructions, including which way to clip for individual styles.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
We have the peticure and love it. Use it for our standard and toy poodles, works great. Originally used a regular dremel, then bought a less expensive peticure then we now use and was not that impressed, so sent it back and bought peticures top of the line nail trimmer, the one that you plug in, not the recharable one and it works great and does not take very long to file the nails at all. This peticure, our doggie bath and our Challengeair and our other hair dryer (we now have 2)so that we can do 2 dogs at a time or get 1 done in half the time are probably some of the most wisest purchases we have made this past year. Seems our priorities always seem to be doggie related. LOL. I think this is probably the case with many of us on this forum, especially for those of us that do not have little children at home. Of course children are #1, but fur babies seem to run a very close race with them.
Sometimes I wish I could crate the kids and leave the dogs out instead. The dogs seem to listen better lately and don't make quite the mess. lol

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Sometimes I wish I could crate the kids and leave the dogs out instead. The dogs seem to listen better lately and don't make quite the mess. lol
ROFL !!!!

What a shame about your current groomer, a lot of the groomers in my area are the same. I get clients all the time that are shocked but the haircuts their dog's get their first visit. A lady today thought I was like god or something because I shaved her dog down (like she asked) and it wasn't "bumping lookin" she said. I had to bite my tounge to keep from saying "well duh, it's the easiest haircut in the world!"

As far learning to groom, there are tons of books out there that are great. My personaly favorites are the Kalstone poodle clipping and grooming thingy. They have a whole bunch of them on e-bay just now.
If your interested in grooming in general, notes from the grooming table is a good one.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you all for your replies. I appreciate the great advice. I got a dvd with the clippers I bought..just the lower priced wahl set for now till I see how my hands do. If my hands handle the vibration of it without pain, may save up for the pricier set. I have seen the leashes to help hold pup and the bolt on arm. I may get that since I will need both hands and my babies still pups.
Our dobe will not let my husband or I clip her nails. We have to take her to the vets still for it. They have to give her something to calm her for it. They cut her too close once and she freaks now. She has never gotten any better about it no matter what we have tried. She loves my husband like I have never seen in a dog..total devotion, but she still wont allow all her nails. She just now is letting him do a few.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I practised using clippers on my sons when they were little! Luckily clippered hair was in style and they didn't insist on growing their hair long.

Then, I was more confident holding the ones for my dogs!

I still am nervous about doing poodle feet though....between the toes. I try to hold my own finger to block the webbing but I sometimes leave shagginess there.

I use the boring guilatene style nail clippers. I bought a pedipaw once and my maltese hated it and it scared me. I am going to try different nail clippers soon. I do think the dremel nails are the best looking for sure!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I still am nervous about doing poodle feet though....between the toes. I try to hold my own finger to block the webbing but I sometimes leave shagginess there.
Andis makes a nice small cordless clipper that's good for trimming feet. It's a sharp blade (a 30 I think), but because it's so small it's easy to use.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Andis makes a nice small cordless clipper that's good for trimming feet. It's a sharp blade (a 30 I think), but because it's so small it's easy to use.
I have that one!

It IS nice not having a cord and having a narrow clipper for the feet but it still is nervewracking for me to work the webbing between the toes....my own hangup I am sure!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts