Poodle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where did any of you Standard owners get your dogs?
What was important to you when choosing a breeder?

·
Registered
8,202 Posts
I got mine from Lacy Lane Poodles and Rock'nRolla Poodles. I was looking for dogs out of parents who were fully health tested, and proven in the show ring so I knew my puppies would grow up to be beautiful poodles. I also wanted small breeders who raised the puppies in the home with tons of TLC and socialization.

·
Premium Member
22,875 Posts
Javelin is out of Madela Standard Poodles. Lily's breeder is no longer active.

For both it was important to me to see the home where they were being raised, meet at least the moms, spend time with the puppies before choosing and that the breeders had some level of engagement in dog sports.

Reactions: zooeysmom

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If there were any health problems at all in a line, would you get a puppy? That is, if one of the puppy’s g’parents or other dogs down the line died of anything other than old age, would you get a puppy?

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
If there were any health problems at all in a line, would you get a puppy? That is, if one of the puppy’s g’parents or other dogs down the line died of anything other than old age, would you get a puppy?

That would depend upon the specific health issue and what all the rest of the pedigree was like. No bloodline is completely clear of all genetic defects for several generations, so breeders have to do their very best to breed healthy puppies. This is complicated by the fact that some health issues do not show up until the dog is several years old.

·
Premium Member
22,875 Posts
I agree with Johanna that the answer would depend on many specific factors. There is not a generic answer for this.

Reactions: Streetcar

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
Copied from the Canine Health Information Center (CHIC)

Standard Poodle
(search)

Hip Dysplasia
OFA Evaluation - OR
OVC Evaluation - OR
PennHIP Evaluation
Eye Examination by a boarded ACVO Ophthalmologist
Results registered with OFA - OR
Registered with CERF
Health Elective (One of the following tests)
OFA Thyroid evaluation from an approved laboratory
OFA SA Evaluation from an approved dermapathologist
Congenital Cardiac Exam - OR
Advanced Cardiac Exam
Visit the official club website
http://www.poodleclubofamerica.org/

Miniature Poodle
(search)

Progressive Retinal Atrophy (PRA) DNA Test
DNA Based test from an approved laboratory.
Registered with CERF
Patellar Luxation
OFA evaluation, minimum age 1 year
Hip Dysplasia
OFA Evaluation - OR
OVC Evaluation - OR
PennHIP Evaluation

Toy Poodle
(search)

Progressive Retinal Atrophy (PRA) DNA Test
DNA based test from an approved laboratory
Registered with CERF
Patellar Luxation
OFA Evaluation

In my layman's understanding, these are the standard tests to rule out/eliminate genetic weaknesses in a purebred poodle.

I doubt it's possible to rule out/breed out every possible genetic weakness, and that's not considering genetic mutations.

Johanna and Lily are very much on target with "it depends".

As an example, my girls were born in 2000 to an AKC breeder who showed her dogs. I don't know what health testing was typically done then. In 2016, Noel died of heart disease a few years after diagnosis and Holly died unexpectedly of cancer. If bloodline history showed that several of their ancestors had died quite young of these diseases, I would think long and hard. It's also very likely that the breeder would stop using those bloodlines. If bloodline history showed that several had died of these diseases at a similar age as my girls, I don't think I would have been overly concerned.

So, it depends.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts