Poodle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope I'm posting this in the correct spot... but as I'm searching for the right poodle for us, I am wondering - where did you find your poodle baby? How did you come in contact with the breeder or rescue that you did?

·
Poodle Named Moose
1,125 Posts
I hope I'm posting this in the correct spot... but as I'm searching for the right poodle for us, I am wondering - where did you find your poodle baby? How did you come in contact with the breeder or rescue that you did?
We looked in the paper and went and checked them out :)

·
Registered
209 Posts
Thanks again for the link. When we move we think we may get MOose a friend :cool:
Yeah, we're thinking of getting a friend for Marley, too, although we've yet to take any definite steps in that direction. I'd recommend filling out their application even if you don't see a poodle listed on their page that interests you. Sometimes a poodle comes in and they will just match it with an application that's on file if it is a "fit" -- that's what happened with Marley.

·
Registered
305 Posts
We found Sammie on Petfinder.
He was a courtesy listing for a family near us, who were happy for us to take him.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Lots and lots and lots of research. I called breed clubs to get breeder recommendations and talked to individual breeders and asked them to recommend others. From there, I got small list of breeders and checked with them about availability, prices, parent information, etc.

I settled on a nice girl in Dallas who was adamant about health testing and was very nice to deal with. It isn't just a one time purchase for everyone..I wanted to be able to talk with the woman in the future.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
I found my first Standard in the paper and bought him but my new 2nd Standard was off craigslist. If you watch craigslist fequently you can find Standard's pretty often. Just a day ago one went for free here in Modesto. A black male 9 month Standard. Crazy!

I also really like the Norcal Poodle rescue. Great people that are really helpful. One of Eli's brother's went to Norcal rescue through me. I rescued him and arranged for them to take him. Very nice people.

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
I had visited a breeder near me in Catskill NY and her poodles were soooo big! I thought then that I might not get a poodle since we had the two minis and I like a bigger dog but they were soooo big. Then I saw on petfinder a woman who had some red poodles (which I was looking for because I already had the name Ginger picked out) and her dogs didn't look as big. We ended up e-mailing each other and she had only males left and one red girl that she was keeping. But she told me where the stud had come from and when I contacted them they had a couple of girls. this was out past Oneonta in NY - When I went to see them she just showed me two girls and I wanted to take them both home but I couldnt' afford it. When we got the mini poodles, it was so great that they had each other - they kept each other company and never cried at night etc. But anyway, ginger came home. two years later we rescued Teddy from a shelter in Pennsylvania. Also found on Petfinder.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This is so interesting. I have been searching show breeder sites, petfinder, classifieds etc. I've got some "feelers" out there right now but so far I haven't settled on one specific place.

·
Registered
329 Posts
We found Sam on pets4you.com I went to see the puppies and parents and I was really impressed with the breeder. She didn't have alot of litters, only every few years, but she sure knew what she was doing. We picked Sam up at 10 weeks old and he was already housebroken! He had one accident because he was used to a doggy door, but that was it. It was AMAZING to have a puppy and not have to go through the whole housebreaking routine. She said that ever since she put the doggy door in, the mom would use it and the puppies would follow as soon as they could and the majority stopped pottying inside altogether by the time they were 8-9 weeks old. Brilliant! We always said we were going to get another from her when Sam was about 10 years old, if she is still breeding.

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
WE found Gabie and Cassie - the minis - from an ad in the newspaper. the breeder lived near Lake George and she had eight dogs (couples) and three litters of pups. She also only let them breed every few years. All the dogs were in her house and it was clean and no smell. That impressed me first.lol
She had a slider to her patio and she would say - 'door's open' and everyone went out. We continued that with Gabie and Cassie and they hardly ever had an accident. they were about 7 weeks old I think when we got them. What I liked about the way she did things was that the dogs were so socialized. All the puppies were used to humans and got pets etc. it was a real pack. Whereas where I got Ginger, she was in a cage with her mother and siblings. She definitely wasnt as social as the 'girls' as we call them. lol

1 - 15 of 15 Posts