Poodle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Poodle Named Moose
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When you are not home what do you do with your poodle?

Do you leave him outside to roam the backyard?
Do you leave him inside to roam the house?
Do you put him in his crate?
Do you have a dog run on the side?
Do you never leave him alone, ever.

(Substitute him with her if you have a female poodle)

Just curious what everyone does.

·
Registered
305 Posts
When we first got Sammie we put him in his crate when we were gone. Now we leave him loose, but we shut the bedroom doors and put the trash out of his reach so he doesn't get into trouble.

·
Poodle Named Moose
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When we first got Sammie we put him in his crate when we were gone. Now we leave him loose, but we shut the bedroom doors and put the trash out of his reach so he doesn't get into trouble.
Sorry if this was in an other post but how old is Sammie now?

It seems once they hit a certain age they really calm down. (All dogs that is.)

·
Registered
305 Posts
Sammie is now 2 1/2 years old. He definately is calmer than he was when we got him, but he still is very bouncy and loves to play.

·
Poodle Named Moose
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sammie is now 2 1/2 years old. He definately is calmer than he was when we got him, but he still is very bouncy and loves to play.
It seems most poodles are bouncy :D I have some good video of Moose bouncing and pics i`ll have to post.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Harley (the mini) sleeps all day, usually under a chair on his bankie. Donner, the guard, is free to roam the house. Molly, the 2 year old, is still tooo playful, so she is crated in a very large crate. She is good and sleeps all day. All dogs are alone approx 7 hours. I have only had one bad experience, and that was when my dogs ate some bad rawhide and they all had stomach aches at once. Ohhhhh, what a mess!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Bauer stays in his crate, which is as large as they come. He has always really liked being in there, so we don't feel bad about it. He has a dog run in the yard, we don't like him pooping on the grass so he spends a lot of time in there when it's warm out. He sleeps in his crate at night as well - he has spent a few nights in our room and been fine but I am a light sleeper and he pants and moves around too much. He did have an accident last summer in a motel... I woke up to a really horrible stench and he'd left us a HUGE, stinky present in the center of the floor. haha... I'm guessing some other dog or cat probably did the same thing before we stayed there... He didn't seem to realize he had done anything wrong.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Ours stays in the backyard with our collie. We have a dog door to the laundry room and close that so they don't have run of the house. We have an invisible fence and it works well.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I got lily when she was only 5.5 weeks old (another story) I started her of in a laundry basket, then into a crate now she is in a pen for sleeping in the lounge by the. while i am at work she is allowed in the kitchen are, with paper for toileting ( 100% successful) I have just started to teach her to go out the doggy door once she masters that she will be able to come and go as she pleases. I would love her to sleep on my bed but she is too little and may fall of and hurt herself ( high bed hard floor). she is happy with her sleeping are and goes there through the day when she needs a puppy nap.
I work some of my days are 7 hours and some are 10 hours, the 7 hour days I come home for lunch and play with lily.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Sam roams the house, but only after we make sure there is no bread or anything else on the kitchen counters and no papers lying around or paper products in general, he has eaten a box of kleenex before. We have come home MANY times to find he has eaten a whole loaf of bread. We think its out of his reach or the kids have gone behind us and left it out or something. But it's funny how he makes one little whole in the bag and eats the entire loaf through it. It's not funny how he does it on the couch EVERY time!

·
Registered
163 Posts
My last standard used to get on counters and steal loaves of bread until I learned to put it away, I thought I was the only one, lol!

Mine is a puppy so he is crated while I am gone. I DID come home one day and he was loose (I guess I didn't latch it) and not a single thing in the house was out of place....maybe it was just a fluke..

·
Registered
260 Posts
My standard poodle and two toy poodles have the run of the house when we are gone. The standard wouldn't dare eat anything on the counter or even on the coffee table without us offering it to her. She is that smart!
The only time I have had a problem leaving them alone is christmas time, there were little stuffed snowmen on the tree and she took them all off. She only touched the little snowmen and never touched a one of the other ornaments! It was very strange!

NO problems leaving them alone here.

·
Registered
209 Posts
One or the other of us is usually home, so Marley is rarely alone. When he is, he has the "run" of the house, which he takes advantage of by standing on the back of the couch by the window, waiting for our return. We have reason to believe he'll use the dog door if he needs to, but he doesn't seem to drink or eat -- that's the first thing he does after he's calmed down from a frantic greeting upon our return. We're hoping time will improve this...

·
Registered
329 Posts
Sam doesn't eat his food or drink either when we are gone. I've had other dogs that have done the same thing. If we left our yorkie for a few days he would stay with my dad and he would only eat if given something really special, he was REALLY neurotic though. He would spend an entire day standing and staring at the door before he would realize I wasn't coming back and he should just relax.

·
Poodle Named Moose
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That's crazy.

Do you leave food in their bowel? We feed him 2x a day, maybe if we keep food in there he`ll know and stop looking elsehwhere ?

·
Registered
209 Posts
We leave food out for Marley all of the time, and he is still very lean. He seems to adjust his eating to his exercise. But you can't do that with all dogs -- some will just eat, eat, eat.

Thanks for the post about Sam -- glad to know Marley is not the only crazy one!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts