Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This post was inspired by an earlier post from yesterday that got me thinking.

At what age did everyone spay their female poo?

Vet wanted me to do it at 4 months, but I compromised and scheduled Millie for 5 months. She said the procedure is much less complicated if done before the first heat cycle, and that you can't predict when a female will go into heat. (ie, she could go into heat at 6 months apparently). I am conflicted because I know a lot of people wait. I just want what is best healthwise for Millie!

Also, I am conflicted about gastropexy. Originally, I was planning on doing it when she got spayed. Henry, our two year old bloated/twisted and had emergency gastropexy 3 months ago. This particular vet however, didn't recommend it because "why fix something that's not broken?"

Help!:eek:hwell:

·
Super Moderator
2,956 Posts
I had Lucybug spayed at approximately 7 months old (before her first heat). I also elected to have the gastropexy done (my vet was ALL FOR IT and was glad that I had asked to have it done... an ounce of prevention beats a pound of cure!!)

The incision for the spay + gatropexy was larger than if just the spay had been done, and I was a little freaked out by the size of it, but after the initial few days of healing time, it was no big deal. I'm very glad that I had it done...

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
I recommend that owners wait until a year of age before they spay or neuter. I believe that this helps develop better bone density. The reason vets push for early spaying is that they don't want people to have accidental litters (not an issue in your case). Spaying a bitch too early can lead to spay induced incontinence. If she were my bitch, I'd wait.

I encourage every puppy buyer to tack their poodles when they spay or neuter. Bloat is a serious problem in Poodles and the tack buys you valuable time. Plus, a prophylactic gastropexy is way cheaper than emergency surgery. My vet only charged me $250.

·
Registered
12,183 Posts
I agree with Cbrand. I do however think that unless a person can absolutely guarantee the safety of a female puppy going through one heat, and can absolutely ensure there is no possible chance of her being bred by accident, get a girl done at eight months old to avoid a heat at all. Males I say 12-15 months old to allow him to grow to be all he can be with muscle and bulk.

·
Registered
323 Posts
If you wait till the males are 12-18 months do you have a problem with marking in the house? My cocker was horrible about that. I said I'd never have another male, although I didn't keep my word on that. LOL

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
If you wait till the males are 12-18 months do you have a problem with marking in the house? My cocker was horrible about that. I said I'd never have another male, although I didn't keep my word on that. LOL
I am wondering about that. My mini is 7 months right now, and I would like to wait until 11 to 12 months to neuter him. (As an aside, I am so suprised at how often I have to defend this to people who ask if he's fixed--they look at me like I am a horrible person for not neutering him yet. I am most definitely going to neuter him, but not until he's fully grown.)

Anyhoo, he lifts his leg outside on walks, but squats to pee in the yard. If he has a pee accident in the house (still happening occassionally), it's squatting. I really hope he doesn't start marking inside the house, I would just die.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
When I adopted Sport he was 4 years old and presumably had been used as a stud he was neutered before I brought him home and he never marked in the house. I noticed a few months after he was neutered he mainly stopped lifting his leg when outside.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I agree with Cbrand 100 % !!!

I will not spay or neuter until growing phase and ossification is done and complete.

And yes, I also found some scientific articles that suggest that first heat changes the anatomy of the female's genitals, making it more tight and reducing the chance of the incontinence developing in later years as well as lessening the number of urethral and vaginal infections.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Vasectomies/tubal ligations, anyone?

So, I was reading about hip x-rays, and dysplasia, when it mentioned that swimming was good for canine hip tightness. The Importance of Good Positioning on Canine Hip X-rays

Animal Rehabilitation Facility

This place is an animal rehab center in Dexter, Michigan. Turns out they have a swimming pool JUST for dogs. Can you imagine how great it would be to have a place to take your poodle to swim in the winter??

Anyway, that web site led me to this one, regarding spaying and neutering:
Canine Sports Productions: Early Spay-Neuter Considerations for the Canine Athlete

And THAT led me to read FlyingDuster's link to the spay/neuter article.

Now I don't think I want to perform a gonadectomy at all on my future pet.

Maybe I'm a little more burned than most people, because I lost my Joey (pictured) to a tumor on his skull (neutered dogs are at higher risk for osteosarcoma). He was 13, and in such good health, otherwise.

However, I'd DEFINITELY want to have a tubal ligation or vasectomy done for my future baby. I know it sounds crazy, but it's not. Since it's less invasive, wouldn't even the surgery itself be safer than gonadectomy?

So, why not?

Vasectomy resistance among veterinarians: What?s up with that? - DoLittler: Blog | Dog Time - Dog Blog Network

Apparently, the only real resistance lays with vets never getting taught how to do it in school...

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
I had Elphie spayed after her first heat, I wanted to wait until she was a year old...but I couldn't imagine going threw the heat thing again so I had her done at about 9ish months :]

·
Registered
254 Posts
Thought I'd resurrect this thread to say that Coco was spayed at 8 months yesterday. the vet kept her overnight. I took her in at 8 am and the technician called me at 3 just to touch base that Coco hadn't gone in yet - there was an emergency surgery that pushed everything back. She called me later at about 530 to say everything went well and that Coco was waking up. I asked about the dog who had emergency surgery, and alas he didn't make it. Sad story.

The vet said that Coco will not have to wear a collar and should be well enough to attend a puppy socialization class on Sat pm.

I go to pick Coco up at 1030! It snowed last night and it is COLD!

·
Registered
508 Posts
I groom a HUGE incredibly FAT Brittany Spaniel. The owners keep telling me that their vet says it is because she was spayed at 3 months of age. Screwed up her metabolism or something. No idea if this is true, but she is BIG, fat on fat, fat shelves on her rear and her chest.

But, it is best to let them mature and IMHO anything under 9 mos is too young, they are just babies.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts