Poodle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone!! My pup, Cozi, is now just about 6 months and due for another groom soon. I always have her cut really cute and scizzored, but I know her coat will change soon, plus it might be nice to have short for winter.

Is there any con to cutting her puppy coat short too early? I've heard rumors of making it thinner in the future, etc.

Also, when will the coat change start to happen?

thank you!

Courtney

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Coat change is various but i'd say it happens between 5-8 months, maybe later in some dogs.

I don't really know of any down sides to cutting it off early. Perhaps if you were showing the dog I could see why you would need to have a full coat..If anything it prevents the horrible matting that can result from the coarse adult coat growing through the soft puppy coat.

I shaved one of my poodles down with a #3 blade all over and that was still long enough to be fluffy but short enough so that as the adult coat was coming in he didnt matt up into tangles instantly. You could suggest that to your groomer.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Yes, if anything cutting the hair nice and short will save you from matting issues as the adult hair comes in. It is not uncommon for show prospect puppies to be shaved when they are several months old. The pup may not be able to be shown at 6 months, but by 9-12 there isn't much difference and many swear that the adult hair that comes in seems to be nicer faster. It is especially helpful on the cottony soft coats that so plague the creams.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Terribly sorry, I meant to also mention that the only drawback is that sometimes the cut will not seem a smooth nor uniform on a young pup due to the soft nature of the puppy coat. But if you don't need perfection, I say go for it!

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you all! I do not need perfection...I just want to to be easy for all when her coat changes! I rememeber seeing a 6 month old at our breeder's house and she had the cutest shaved down cut- she felt like velvet! I think it might be a good change, especially with all the rain we had this month and the snow to come!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts