Poodle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! I was wondering when you might have done your first dental cleaning on your standard or if you have any thoughts on it?
Sage is 4 years and 4 months. I only brushed occasionally until he was about two. The vet gave me a talking to and I started brushing almost daily. Luckily he loves the electric toothbrush and the vet was impressed at his yearly check up last year. I have not been so good at brushing over the winter after I got the puppy so I might average 3-4times a week?
He is starting to get a bit of build up of tartar or whatever it is. the vet suggested a dental cleaning next year.
He will be about 5 years old. Has anyone else done this at this time? Is it better to do now since he’s young and healthy, or wait, so as to potentially decrease the number of times he might need general anesthetic for cleanings overall?
Any thoughts?
Jen and Sage and Saffron

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
Well I can't really answer but I really dislike having to put any of my dogs under anesthesia. I'd opt for your your vet said, Sage should still be quite healthy next year and meantime I'd keep bruising more vigilantly. I do brush Renns teeth but I should do it everyday.

·
Premium Member
9,101 Posts
I’ve only had dental cleanings done in conjunction with another procedure that required anesthesia. Keep brushing and maybe add the occasional raw, like a chicken neck or winglet.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I also only had my standard poodle's teeth cleaned during another procedure. I never brushed his teeth.

With my border collie, he began eating raw when he was 11 weeks old. The bones were never ground. He died at 16 1/2 years of age and I was always told the vets that his teeth looked good and did not need cleaning.

You might try giving him raw bones to chew on. A raw bone is not the same as a chew toy.

·
Registered
11,597 Posts
Sophy, my papillon, has just had a much needed dental; Poppy, toy poodle, has never needed one. Poppy's mouth is just a bit larger, and she lets me flick tartar from her teeth with a thumbnail. That, together with PlaqueOff and very regular brushing with an enzymatic toothpaste, has taken her teeth from borderline needing treatment to congratulations from the vet on their excellent state! Even Sophy surprised him by not needing any extractions - brushing made little difference to the tartar, but helped keep her gums in good condition.

I would try really regular brushing, together with Petzlife oral gel, if he will accept it. I found it was the one thing that worked to soften tartar (and I have tried practically all of the available stuff over the years!), but neither Poppy nor Sophy can bear the taste so I stopped using it. Once the tartar is softer it is quite easy to flick off, or will come away when chewing a suitable item.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
I would not hesitate to do the dental at 5 years old. You can get a fresh start and then brush every day going forward. Maizie's teeth are pretty good, but Frosty's are genetically less good and he may have to have a dental in the next couple of years (his brother had to have a dental I believe before he was 2!).

Dentals are very safe. I just had one done on Zooey, who is 12. The recovery was more hellish on an older dog, but the younger ones bounce right back, especially if they don't need any extractions or dental surgery. As with us, it's better to do regular maintenance on our teeth rather than wait until things get bad!

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
I am surprised that so many of you are doing dentals on spoos. I give my dogs greenies and an occasional raw beef bone. But nothing other than that -- no tooth brushing and no dentals. Sophie lived to be almost 15 and Bob was almost 17. My two current spoos are 8 and 5. In spite of no dentals, all four spoos have had no problems with teeth, other than maybe a little staining. Maybe I am just lucky.

·
Premium Member
9,101 Posts
Awwww! I miss Bob! Buck also likes Virbac C.E.T. Enzymatic oral hygiene chews which were recommended on PF.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Does anyone use Royal Canin Mini or the Oral care, it's supposed to bind calcium in the dogs saliva & stop dental problems,
Do you think that would work well, Im not sure
Other foods have Oral care diets, I have never heard any reviews on them

I have given my Toy poodle kangaroo tendon as a chew for teeth cleaning
I also wrap a square of damp gauze on my finger & clean their teeth, rubbing them is easier than a toothbrush

·
Registered
328 Posts
Hello
I take both my spoo’s in for a cleaning once a year. I do dred the sedative but they always get tarter build up on their upper molars. So much so that their breath becomes quite offensive. Their diet is mostly kibble with some cooked ground turkey in their evening meal. Ive not been very consistent about brushing I just wanted to offer my experience as it is not exactly the more preferred path. They both seem to have no issues with the sedative afterwards

1 - 10 of 10 Posts