Poodle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay Jasper is one huge ball of hair and I've noticed in pictures that as they get older owners are trimming little bits here and there. I'm scared to trim too much but I do think that some needs to be trimmed. Can someone post a picture with lines drawn for me? I don't have a show person close enough to me to get any help and breeder is too far away to just go and get some trimming done. I could let it go until a show but by then he'll be out of control. I just want to be able to visualize his lines and I need pictures with lines drawn to show me exactly what each part (front, rear, legs) should be shaped up to look like. I can take teeny bits off at a time until I feel more comfortable. The top of his tail was trimmed when I got him but it's grown out a lot now.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what trim are you wanting to put him in?
I'm going to show him while he's a puppy so he has to be in the puppy clip (lion clip) for showing. He's not got much of a pattern at all right now except for natural hair growth.

·
Registered
741 Posts
i would start with the bottom area trim it in quite tight so you can get a good shape on the back legs and the bum
see the pics the bottom is nice an tight i know that an adult but if you get the bum and the top line first then you can work on the other bits slowly

Attachments

·
Registered
130 Posts
The puppy cut is not as easy as it looks, and a good trim will make all the difference in the world on how he does in the show ring. I definitely pushed Monroe's success back a bit by trimming too much in the wrong places. I would recommend doing some research and finding a handler or a breeder that is showing in your area that would be willing to groom your dog and mentor your process.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

there you go
Oh okay thanks. I'm going to post another picture I took of him on the table that might give a better indication of what kind of hair he's got growing. The hair on his body is growing nicely but his topknot is lacking slightly. His littermates have a bit more hair on the head but I think he's turning out nicely.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
I was just about to ask for more Jasper pics. I could look at them all day. I sent you a PM and there are quite a few puppy pics on the forum you might look at, including several of Enzo. Those dogs may be older than what you are looking for though.

·
Registered
741 Posts
i find it hard to photo shop the pic when the tails are down you lose the shape off the bottom. i think like katsdogworld said defently worth fiinding someone who can really set you off in the right direction,

but if you cant then just do little and oftern but defently start with the bum once you got the shape there you want you need to let alot of the other stuff grow

ill try and find a great vid i found once on you tube

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I did a little off the right side today. I didn't do a lot and it's harder to see what I'm doing at this hour here as our lighting is softer in the house at night. He's not used to scissoring so he doesn't want me doing it and gets a little weird about hearing the scissors and what it feels like and I don't want to accidentally take off too much.

I tried to get that tail up but when he's on the table he's not all that happy, he just tolerates it.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
I don't scissor myself so take my advice with a grain of salt. One thing I notice when Laurel scissors is that she:

1. Squares off the hip to give the croup a flatter look.
2. Leaves the hair on the front of the back leg and the back of the front leg so that it gives the illusion of a shorter loin.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don't scissor myself so take my advice with a grain of salt. One thing I notice when Laurel scissors is that she:

1. Squares off the hip to give the croup a flatter look.
2. Leaves the hair on the front of the back leg and the back of the front leg so that it gives the illusion of a shorter loin.
I think I know what you are saying but a lot of it's like this for me:wacko: when I can't see it. My poodle book is pretty good but I need to watch it in video. I did a little search on here and found a suggestion for a grooming video. This is what I need.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts