Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
do they always get their whiskers shaved also? Seems so weird to me and I don like it all that much. What are some other options when it come to the face area?

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
do they always get their whiskers shaved also? Seems so weird to me and I don like it all that much. What are some other options when it come to the face area?
LOL...WELL YOU HAVE NO CHOICE WHEN YOU SHAVE THE FACE. ITS WHISKER'S AND ALL. THERE IS A CUT THAT KEEPS THE FACE LOOKING LIKE A MUSTACHE. ITS NOT ALL THAT POODLE LOOKING TO ME, BUT SOME LIKE IT.

HERE IS A PIC OF THE MUSTACHE POODLE FACE..SO I CALL IT. LOL
THIS WAS THE ONLY DECENT PIC I COULD FIND.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
you can also do a teddy bear face. In that case the face is left full and is either rounded off like a bichon or squared off like ummmmm a labradoodle.

There really isn't any harm in removing the whiskers if thats your only concern with a clean face. Dog's arent like cats about their whiskers, they don't reley on them for information that same way.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am thinking he just had a bad shave because he seems a little uneven in places and his whiskers are one of them. I wasnt sure if they used their whiskers or not, thanks wonderpup!

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Thats normal for the whisker's for grow back a little faster. I even shave my Pitbulls whisker's off. It gives her a nice clean look. She doesn't miss them any. lol

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Yup thats true about the whiskers, wish it wasnt though. I clipped Jazz's face last friday and already her whiskers are growing back and are pokey lol.

In case you are interested, here is a less than ideal but the best I had picture the teddy bear face I mentioned this morning. Not my best work, but hey if you met this dog you'd understand. Also the picture was taken before his face was completely finished.

I personally think this is a really really REALLY cute alternative to a clean face. Epecialy when said face is attached to a do who is crazy, hyper, super wiggly, acient, mean or otherwise difficult for the face type. Or one who belong to an owner who is any of the above. :) I can't count the number of poodle and poodle mix owners I get that say to me " I don't want it to look like a poodle" UmmmK I say. I often wonder why these people got a poodle if they didn't like the way poodles looked but oh well, I keep that to myself :)

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yup thats true about the whiskers, wish it wasnt though. I clipped Jazz's face last friday and already her whiskers are growing back and are pokey lol.

In case you are interested, here is a less than ideal but the best I had picture the teddy bear face I mentioned this morning. Not my best work, but hey if you met this dog you'd understand. Also the picture was taken before his face was completely finished.

I personally think this is a really really REALLY cute alternative to a clean face. Epecialy when said face is attached to a do who is crazy, hyper, super wiggly, acient, mean or otherwise difficult for the face type. Or one who belong to an owner who is any of the above. :) I can't count the number of poodle and poodle mix owners I get that say to me " I don't want it to look like a poodle" UmmmK I say. I often wonder why these people got a poodle if they didn't like the way poodles looked but oh well, I keep that to myself :)
I dont care for that look only becasue it DOES resemble a Bischon(SP) I dont really like Bischons!! no offense

·
Registered
912 Posts
Clip em off, the shorter the better!

I do T's f,f & t every week and absolutely hate it when his whiskers start poking me :biggrin: I have finished clipping him this morning and cause he hadn't been done for almost two weeks I only did him with a #15 blade in case he got any irritation and it's still way too long :rofl:. I was so scared when I first clipped his face but now I love the look of a #30 blade.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Clip em off, the shorter the better!

I do T's f,f & t every week and absolutely hate it when his whiskers start poking me :biggrin: I have finished clipping him this morning and cause he hadn't been done for almost two weeks I only did him with a #15 blade in case he got any irritation and it's still way too long :rofl:. I was so scared when I first clipped his face but now I love the look of a #30 blade.
Im glad you mentioned you use the #30 on his face. I just returned a new clipper set and picked up a #30. I have been doing the #10 since Ive been shaving Eli and want to go shorter. I like T's muzzle so that should do me good!

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Gosh, I must be a little slow, I can't make Jazz's face look ok with a #40. I don't know if it;s her color or what but she looks awful for about two days and then I LOVE it. Today I laid her out on the table and clipped with a a 15, then took one side down with a #40, (i don't have a 30 blade), it looked awful in next to the pretty #15 side, but of course at that point you don't have any choice but to finished it the rest of it with the shorter blade. Now we're waiting to see if she develops a rash which will, in the end, decide if I will again attempt with the #40.

·
Registered
843 Posts
When Gunther came to me,his face,feet,private area were done with surgical blade # 40.
His skin is silvery grey and really showed through.
I also felt his private area was overexposed.
I like itjust a bit longer....also never leaves a clipper burn.

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
When Gunther came to me,his face,feet,private area were done with surgical blade # 40.
His skin is silvery grey and really showed through.
I also felt his private area was overexposed.
I like itjust a bit longer....also never leaves a clipper burn.

I guess thats the issue I have with how Jazz's face, feet and tail look with the 40. I LOVE LOVE LOVE, her tail, it's so smooth and perdy. Her feet and face are another matter. For whatever reason it just doesn't look sooth, her feet are the worst I think. On her face the skin from about the corner of the eye forward is tha dark blueish color, same as her feet, but from that point back and down her throat it's a soft white/pink color. Whish she was the pinkish color all over.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
I guess thats the issue I have with how Jazz's face, feet and tail look with the 40. I LOVE LOVE LOVE, her tail, it's so smooth and perdy. Her feet and face are another matter. For whatever reason it just doesn't look sooth, her feet are the worst I think. On her face the skin from about the corner of the eye forward is tha dark blueish color, same as her feet, but from that point back and down her throat it's a soft white/pink color. Whish she was the pinkish color all over.
Well thats why I went with a 30 instead of 40. I did Sting's feet with the 40 a few days ago and they looked aweful until today. Im hoping the 30 will give me the look I desire with out razor burn. Im going to test it out on Eli though. lol

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ok, so Dutchs face is starting to look a little scruffy. Should I let it grow out a liitle and then take him to get a puppy clip, or what? I am so very new!! No clippers here to attempt it myself.

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Take him to the groomer, if you're going to use one, NOW instead of later. When I get new puppies in I cut the owner a break price wise if they will agree to come in every week or every two weeks. A puppy doesn't naturaly know how to behave at the groomers and it's a training process. They have to get used to it. I don't even offer full hair cuts to new puppies in my salon. They have to come in for a couple of face, feet, and tail trims before I'll clip them all over. You can really hurt a puppy, or for that matter an adult dog, who won't hold still. I try and tell clients that there dog's aren't being bad they are just frightened. Now I can pin them to the table and force this whole grooming thing on them and risk serious injury and probably traumatize them, OR you can agree to work with me to teach your puppy that clippers, and scissor, and the bath, and the dryer - even when a stranger is doing it to you isn't a scary thing at all. I used to refuse to do clean face and feet on poodle puppies at first too, but now I make exceptions. It drives me crazy to get poo owners in who say, "but he's had his face shaved before, the breeder did it." Well, yeah the breeder did it, four months ago, now the puppy wont let me get near him.... So I guess that was the long answer lol, sorry. It's just a big pet peeve of mine.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I agree with WonderPup. I think it's important to get them used to the groomer, the equipment and everything early. Even if you are planning to clip Dutch yourself later (or just tidy up between groomer appointments), he needs to learn as early as possible that grooming isn't something strange or scary.

I have started tidying Murphy's face, feet and tail between grooming visits because even though the groomer uses a #30, it grows too much in the 4 weeks between visits for my liking. I also started very early on only brushing and combing her on a grooming table. It keeps her from wiggling all over like she was doing when I brushed her in my lap, plus it gets her used to the table for the groomer.

I've got a big dryer on its way, too, so when I bathe her between appointments she'll look almost as nice as when the pro does it!

·
Registered
912 Posts
I don't like the #40 either and even the showies usually do their dogs two days before with a #40 cause it does need to grow back in - looks like velvet when done properly and given a few days. T still doesn't sit really still for me so I like the #30 seem to end up with a better finish. I won't be using the #15 again, has only been a few days and looks like it needs doing again - can't be bothered clipping twice a week :eek:

And I second what everyone has said about taking your pup to the groomer now. I worked out T has had his f,f & t done about 20 times in his short 6 month life and he is still a bugger sometimes so the sooner and the more often you can take him if your going to use a groomer the better.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So looks like Dutch will have his first groomers appointment for 2009!! Now where do I begin to do my search for a good groomer? I guess this is not only a good time for Dutch, but also in finding a good groomer. Not much you can mess up on FFT is there?? Any advice other than good personality and obvi good with poo cuts?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts