Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
7,010 Posts
Makes me mad but I’m not surprised.

·
Premium Member
22,754 Posts
I'm not surprised either. I've been talking about variations on this theme for years. Lots of rescue groups go to miller auctions and turn a blind eye to the serious reality that they are giving mill producers a market for their product. This helps the rescue group stay in business as much as it keeps the mills in business.

This just seems much more sordid because the cooperation here was very organized and profitable in a more open way.

I highly recommend a book Mfmst brought to our attention a while ago, The Dog Merchants by Kim Kaven. It is an eye popping and very thought provoking discussion of many many aspects of the commercial production of dogs for all sorts of reasons.

·
Premium Member
9,476 Posts
This is “puppy laundering”, a whole new term from anything envisioned by “Dog Merchants”. Volume laundering too, capitalizing on the cache of “rescue”, “adopt don’t shop” to the tune of $4k for the feels. Diabolical and profitable:(

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Despicable, human nature really does disappoint at times doesn’t it?

Outlawing pet shop sales is a step in the right direction, as it makes a huge statement about the value of an animal’s life. I believe shifts like this can chip away at the underlying culture that allowed this inhumane practice to flourish.

However, I figured there would be “work arounds”, but I thought it would be internet puppy sales and crossing of state lines. This pervesion is very troubling.

·
Premium Member
15,810 Posts
Just more 'Retail Rescue' just like the dogs from Korea 'rescued' (bought) from the large dog markets there, that then are brought here saying they are meat dogs..........Yeah, we have quite a few of them here and people adopt them with that sob story and some end up with a dog that is totally unsocialized and difficult to manage.......

·
Premium Member
22,754 Posts
Molly there is also the matter of dogs "rescued" from natural disasters. Family members adopted two dogs from Puerto Rico. They aren't however dogs that had homes and lost them. They were street dogs that had been taken into a shelter and then shipped to Long Island to make room for dogs that were storm refugees. I recently had lunch with several family members and there was much discussion of all of the family dogs. The Puerto Rico dogs are neurotic messes (not great house breaking, anxiety at being in a crate, anxiety at being left at home with no people, worried about other dogs, afraid of loud noises...). One of the two members of that household essentially never leaves home and has become an absent figure at family gatherings. That is not how I would want to live! It takes a very special dog handler to know how to help dogs like these or the alleged meat dogs. When a puppy or adolescent dog has to fend for itself and lacks human interaction it is very hard to make a suitable home companion out of them. I think these dogs suffer psychologically and wonder if they feel any peace or joy in their lives. Very sad...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts