Poodle Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

· Registered
5,346 Posts
I think in someways people who are financially well off self select me as a breeder. Lets face it.... my dogs are expensive and I don't take payments or credit cards. Right off the bat, someone would have to be able to write me a check. This means that they have the disposable income to do so or they were able to save the money.

Poodles are expensive dogs to own. Most people don't groom their own dogs and in our area in costs at least $75 to groom a Standard. It is important to me that a family can bare that expense. I also want to be sure that families can afford training, boarding and medical costs in the future.
Yeah, poodles are expensive to buy and to own. I'm currently putting half of my tips every pay period in a little box labeled 'Poodle Fund' so I'll be able to pay for my dog in cash next year hopefully (or a large chunk paid for.) And I'm a groomer so that won't be a problem for me.

· Registered
1,947 Posts
Thats what I did
I saved for Elphie, it makes me love her just a little bit more
everytime I get upset with her I think of all the dirty loud little kids I put up with every summer to get her and keep her and it makes me less upset v.v;

· Registered
861 Posts
It is not the case here in CA - but we have many more poodle breeders here ...

A lot of them have puppies of great quality that are still looking for homes even at half price...
What an interesting thread! We are a testament to how you just 'never know.' We bought our dog with Dh working from home for nearly two years. The next month he was laid off. :( Bella was supposed to be his buddy while he worked now she's stuck home alone often as I'm playing "Mom's Taxi." LUCKILY he did find some temporary work soon after that pays nearly as well but not at home, but we really just don't know. We're hopeful.

I check Bella's breeders' site from time to time and she still has some puppies from when we got Bella. I have to admit I'm curious if the price has gone down! LOL.

· Registered
1,000 Posts
I would think a good reference from your vet would be required. To give a history of how well you've taken care of your dog. And if you don't plan to groom your poodle yourself, that you've researched the cost of grooming locally and are prepared to have her groomed regularly.

· Registered
196 Posts
I would be interested in a list of potential buyer good points to look for, and bad points. An friend of mine has a questionare she sends to her potential buyers before she will even consider selling one of her puppies. I'm just curious how you weigh all of these out. What is a definite strike for someone. I am just curious because I do eventually plan to breed my toys. But, I am very nervous because I hear about some of the horror stories.

· Registered
5,532 Posts
I think it is more difficult to be the breeder choosing good homes that it is to be the buyer looking for the right puppy. There are so many unknowns and even with all the information requested you cannot be 100% sure that nothing will change or that an unscrupulous vet won't lie to help a client. We will want our puppies to go to the best homes and the have the right match for their personalities. That puts the burden on us to make sure that this happens.

I think a list of qualities one is looking for in a pet owner goes a long way to achieving this but I also believe one has to go somewhat with their gut as well. A potential buyer may answer all the questions correctly but you may not have a good feeling about them. Dianne and I wouldn't sell to that person. On the other hand, as mentioned earlier, a potential buyer may not answer questions in a way that is preferred but there are many things to be considered. Have they owned a pet before? If not, there can't even be a vet check. But, I wouldn't totally discount this person as a potential buyer. Again, there is a certain amount of instinct that one has to use too. It is on us to research our buyers before making a decision.

However, if we were talking about a show prospect, the qualifications would be very rigid and for good reason.

· Registered
1,008 Posts
I think it is more difficult to be the breeder choosing good homes that it is to be the buyer looking for the right puppy. There are so many unknowns and even with all the information requested you cannot be 100% sure that nothing will change or that an unscrupulous vet won't lie to help a client. We will want our puppies to go to the best homes and the have the right match for their personalities. That puts the burden on us to make sure that this happens.

I think a list of qualities one is looking for in a pet owner goes a long way to achieving this but I also believe one has to go somewhat with their gut as well. A potential buyer may answer all the questions correctly but you may not have a good feeling about them. Dianne and I wouldn't sell to that person. On the other hand, as mentioned earlier, a potential buyer may not answer questions in a way that is preferred but there are many things to be considered. Have they owned a pet before? If not, there can't even be a vet check. But, I wouldn't totally discount this person as a potential buyer. Again, there is a certain amount of instinct that one has to use too. It is on us to research our buyers before making a decision.

However, if we were talking about a show prospect, the qualifications would be very rigid and for good reason.
You are VERY right! I have been on both ends many times and finding the right "puppy homes" is tougher then picking the right puppy.

· Registered
2,062 Posts
Agree 100% stars ! I check references and sometimes folks are not so truthfull:( I agree with spoospirit if they cannot be checked out than they are off the list ....Gut feeling or no.... Poodles are expensive to own whether or not you do your own grooming... Just look at all the grooming questions on here and the amount of money everyone is spending on supplies bare minimum...They need a good quality food and they need to be able to have a place to play and run .IMHO.. I like to have pics of the house and yard ....Proof of spay and nueter if you have other dogs.....Just ot name a few...

· Registered
2,314 Posts
I think a list of qualities one is looking for in a pet owner goes a long way to achieving this but I also believe one has to go somewhat with their gut as well. A potential buyer may answer all the questions correctly but you may not have a good feeling about them.
Totally agreed. With the two PWD litters we have had we go on gut and lifestyle. And we've been right so far with everyone! Our first litter is now 11 and all are in their original homes, our second litter is 7 and they're also all still in their homes.

The reality is gut instinct and personal interactions have to count more than circumstances, because circumstances change. We sold my favourite girl out of our first litter to a young couple with a great income, husband worked from home, etc. Within a year he had been diagnosed with a very rare lung cancer (he was a non smoker) and died, leaving his wife and pup behind. She kept the dog though and still has her today with her second husband and children. So although their circumstances changed drastically, that puppy still went to the right home. She brought the husband a lot of joy before he passed.

As a side note, I cried when my mom told me we were keeping Sam and not my favourite girl out of that litter. But of course she went on to fill an important role in that family during a very difficult and sad time, so it all worked out as it was meant to be.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.