Poodle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would you recommend? I really just need something more powerful than my little human hair dryer... I don't want anything expensive or fancy, just something that will get the hair straight. I really would be fine with something cheap (under $100? are there any good dryers for that price?).
The hair dryer works for his legs and head, but I think his fur is starting to change (mostly on his back) so his back is constantly curly now, even with lots of intense blow drying and brushing. It makes the cut all uneven and gross looking. I want to work on my scissoring but it doesn't do much if I can't get the hair straight, and puppy fur doesn't seem to scissor straight everrr. :wacko:

·
Registered
646 Posts
Well right now I am just using a small shop vac that has the blower port as well.
It is strickly for my dogs and everyone knows not to touch it for anything else.
It works but I really want a dog dryer.
I know that home depot in the states sell MOTORCYCLE dryers which are made by same company as dog dryers and are cheaper as motorcycle dryers LOL just black instead of orange cases.
I am Canadian though and they are not sold here.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Also read somewhere in summer that Walmart was clearing out motorcycle dryers for 20 bucks at walmart but again that was american and who knows if you would be able to find one but it sure would be a steel if you did

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
I've seen the motorcycle dryers on Amazon. I had no idea that motorcycles needed beauty products.;)

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I use a Metro Air Force Commander AFTD-3 with two speeds, about 150 us dollars. It does a pretty good job. I even have a tool to attach to the cage or the adjustable arm to hold the dryer closer to the table and dog for me. I want to get a really good stand dryer so that I can use both hands better.
BTW- it is loud.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
I use a Metro Air Force Commander AFTD-3 with two speeds, about 150 us dollars. It does a pretty good job. I even have a tool to attach to the cage or the adjustable arm to hold the dryer closer to the table and dog for me. I want to get a really good stand dryer so that I can use both hands better.
BTW- it is loud.
Stand dryers are the best because it does let you use hands free they are worth the money . Mine is about 30 years old :)

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thestars: I was looking at that dryer earlier this morning. It seemed to be pretty popular, and I found a few for under $100 from individual sellers. That's strange you say it's loud, most reviews said it was quieter than they expected.
How long would you say it takes to dry a standard? Right now, with my little hair dryer it takes over an hour. We're both hot and stressed by the time he's mostly dry, I was hoping for something that would be a lot quicker so we could spend more time grooming than just drying. ;)

I was going to get one of the adjustable arms that attaches to the side of the table once I got a dryer. I can tell it would be a LOT easier and a huge help when you're trying to brush the hair. They are pretty inexpensive though, the ones I've seen.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
You know it says in Kalstone's book to dry with a forced air dryer first and then finish off with a regular dryer on warm because the heat helps to straighten the hair. I'm going to get one of those arm things that I can use to clip my regular dryer onto my table. I still am dying to get my hands on a good forced air dryer.

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
I never have liked stand dryers but if I had a huge show coat to deal with getting straight I probably would change my mind.

For me I like my air force dryer, even though it sounds like jet engine sometimes lol. For a pet length coat I don't think you can do better? Quick, gets the hair straight if you do it right, and no heating element. Thats a peeve of mine, I don't use anything with a heating element if I can help it though the motor on my airforce dryer does heat up a bit and it will blow slightly warm air.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
don't get a stand dryer unless you have a long coat (6inches +) or you'll just be wasting your time really. A short pet coat, and a decent force dryer, will dry it straight without any fuss. I use a force dryer on Paris too, and she DOES have 6 inches+ in places, but I just can't be bothered with the *time* a stand dryer takes when my force dryers blast that coat straight perfectly fine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts