Poodle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...to start looking for a breeder?

I won't be able to get my own spoo for at least 4 years, but I'd love to get in touch with a reputable breeder. I want to learn more about the breed and just build a good relationship with a breeder so that when the time comes I'm prepared and know where my poodle is coming from.

How soon is too soon? And could anyone point me in the direction of a reputable spoo breeder in PA, OH, WV, or MD? (I live in Pittsburgh so somewhere within a few hours preferably.)

·
Registered
546 Posts
Cera - I started communicating with my breeder a year before actually deciding to go with her. I'm glad I did! Because I have an adorable little Snoopers now :) :love:

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Its never to soon to start looking ;)

Right now I would suggest concentrating on learning as much as you can about the Variety you want. Read up on what health testing is required and learn about what type of events or activities you want to take part in with your Poodle.

I like to do a search for breeders in my state and by color. I bookmark any breeder I like and check back often to see if they made any updates on their dogs.

I would not contact a breeder right this second unless you know exactly you want to do with you dog once you get it and that you are positive you can not have one until the time you said you could. Being around them makes you do spur of the moment things that may or may not be good.

Anyway good luck!

·
Registered
157 Posts
I agree, it's never too soon to start looking!

I'm pretty sure I won't be able to get a poodle until next year, but I'm already looking for a breeder. It's pretty time consuming to find someone who has a good reputation and all the other things you might want.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have talked with Linda Green from Unique Standard Poodles. She is in PA and is well known in the poodle world. Looks like one of her dogs just won Award of Merit at Westminister. Also, I believe one of her dogs won Best in show reserve at Crups not too long ago.

She was very helpful and put me in contact with another breeder in the area that had a puppy available. I was tempted to bring this puppy from PA to WA.

I agree with an earlier poster, that actually making contact 4 years in advance might be a little too soon, but you can keep an eye out at what her dogs are doing as far as shows and what she has available.

Her web site is:

http://uniquestandardpoodles.com/

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
I have talked with Linda Green from Unique Standard Poodles. She is in PA and is well known in the poodle world. Looks like one of her dogs just won Award of Merit at Westminister. Also, I believe one of her dogs won Best in show reserve at Crups not too long ago.

She was very helpful and put me in contact with another breeder in the area that had a puppy available. I was tempted to bring this puppy from PA to WA.

I agree with an earlier poster, that actually making contact 4 years in advance might be a little too soon, but you can keep an eye out at what her dogs are doing as far as shows and what she has available.

Her web site is:

http://uniquestandardpoodles.com/
YES!!!! I’ve seen Linda’s dogs at an AKC show... they are to die for! She actually took a couple of wins the two days I spent at the show. If you want to show I would highly recommend going with Linda or with Whisperwind (Linda Blackie) as they have bred wonderful dogs together and separately.
If I’m not mistaken, Linda Blackie just had a litter that was sired by Unique Anticipation - a gorgeous dog that has done very very well in the show ring.

http://www.whisperwindstandardpoodles.com/index.html

Edit: Both unfortunately only breed white and silver. No black, red etc.

If you are looking for black poodles we have a breeder that is located close to where I live in MD... http://alemirpoodles.homestead.com/girls.html
I haven't seen their dogs in person.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
I agree with everyone else it is NEVER too soon lol! I don't even know when or even IF I will be getting another spoo, but I still watch what everyone has and who's who, I also watch for comprehensive testing, who does the most complete job, sometimes if there are quite a few it is easier to start early, that way you can read EVERYTHING in the contracts and testing pages as well as see the pups that are being produced and how they are doing so you can make a more sound choice and it is not on a "whim" Good job for thinking ahead!!!!!

·
Registered
150 Posts
I have two mini's Dolce Black and Louis silver and we are thinking of getting a spoo in either white or apricot. I looke at both unique and wispersong and whitepoodles (omar) but do you know of an aprioct or cream breeder?

thanks for any help

Jennifer

·
Registered
6,611 Posts
Its never to soon to start looking ;)

Right now I would suggest concentrating on learning as much as you can about the Variety you want. Read up on what health testing is required and learn about what type of events or activities you want to take part in with your Poodle.

I like to do a search for breeders in my state and by color. I bookmark any breeder I like and check back often to see if they made any updates on their dogs.

I would not contact a breeder right this second unless you know exactly you want to do with you dog once you get it and that you are positive you can not have one until the time you said you could. Being around them makes you do spur of the moment things that may or may not be good.

Anyway good luck!
He he - I totally agree with this! I *knew* I couldn't get another one for a year or so, and low and behold I start contacting breeders and then I decide the time is right and I got a new dog! Now, this worked out just fine for me ;), but I will still warn you that you will be verrrrry tempted once you actually get to know a breeder!

·
Registered
12,183 Posts
I agree with everyone else! Never to early to begin learning. You can learn more and more about the breed in particular and specific things about individual breeders...what their thoughts are on COI's, what kind of health testing they do on their breeding dogs, have there been problems arise in past breedings from similar backgrounds of those you might be keen on, etc. This also gives you plenty of time to keep an eye of how pups fare from previous litters of similar backgrounds as they age. Best to do your homework ahead of time to avoid heartache later.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I agree that is is never too early. Unfortunately I am a very bad looker - I tend to go directly to buyer. My house is filled with things (including a dog) that were purchased almost as soon as I started "looking".

1 - 11 of 11 Posts