Poodle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone!

We just got our brand new standard poodle - Murphy. He's just starting his 10th week, and I'm wondering when do you normally start grooming them? We are thinking we would like to do a sanitary trim as soon as its safe, but I'm not sure if there is a certain age they need to be before we give him his first trim?

I appreciate any thoughts!

Thanks,
J

·
Registered
666 Posts
Congratulations on bringing home your new puppy, Murphy!

technically, if you have a clipper with a 10 blade and have watched LOTS of YouTube videos on how to do a sanitary trim, you can do it any time. The anus is really easy to cut due to the puckered and uneven surface so you need to see a video, as it’s hard to explain the proper way to avoid that.

A 10 blade is short but not too short that it will irritate the skin.
Be aware that the blade heats up quickly and can burn the skin. You have to stop and check it on the inside of your wrist regularly. If you have a second 10 blade, keep switching between the two.

Do not use scissors for a sanitary trim. that is never safe!

Since you’re new to grooming poodles, I’d recommend you bring your puppy to a groomer for a while while you do a lot of research and learn everything before trying it out yourself. You can also have the groomers clip the hair at any age, it will not affect the it negatively.

Start training with treats and brush with a ball tipped slicker brush right away. I suggest using the search tool for specific grooming training questions, there’s many good threads to read.

Hope you are going to share a pic of puppy!

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
My poodle had been groomed (face, feet, sanitary, bath) 3-4 times by her breeder when I got her at a bit under 12 weeks. I started grooming her the day she came home. Clippers are something a dog should learn to accept and get used to when young.

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
My standard began getting groomed by his breeder, he had at least 3 grooms by the time I got him at 9 weeks then every 4 weeks thereafter .

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Sanitary is usually first done around 4 weeks and then every couple weeks after that. So yes, 10 weeks is perfectly fine to trim up. You can start doing full body grooms as soon as you want. Most people do a full groom around 4-6 months though I got my boy in summer and it was sweltering so we shortened up at 12 weeks. I would recommend a wahl bravura if you're doing sanitary trimming at home. A 10 blade length is good. You just want to go slow and careful. I kind of do a sweeping motion away from the anus, barely touching the skin.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Congratulations on bringing home your new puppy, Murphy!

technically, if you have a clipper with a 10 blade and have watched LOTS of YouTube videos on how to do a sanitary trim, you can do it any time. The anus is really easy to cut due to the puckered and uneven surface so you need to see a video, as it’s hard to explain the proper way to avoid that.

A 10 blade is short but not too short that it will irritate the skin.
Be aware that the blade heats up quickly and can burn the skin. You have to stop and check it on the inside of your wrist regularly. If you have a second 10 blade, keep switching between the two.

Do not use scissors for a sanitary trim. that is never safe!

Since you’re new to grooming poodles, I’d recommend you bring your puppy to a groomer for a while while you do a lot of research and learn everything before trying it out yourself. You can also have the groomers clip the hair at any age, it will not affect the it negatively.

Start training with treats and brush with a ball tipped slicker brush right away. I suggest using the search tool for specific grooming training questions, there’s many good threads to read.

Hope you are going to share a pic of puppy!
Any chance you have video recommendations on the sanitary area specifically, as well as general grooming ones?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you all for your advice! It was very helpful to hear all of your thoughts. My Andis trimmer should be here any day and I've definitely been watching plenty of youtube videos. I'd take him to a groomer, but kinda hesitant due to not having all the vaccines yet. He's been getting plenty of brushing and just had his first bath.

I'll keep you updated after the first trim!

A couple photos of my boy attached.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,380 Posts
Any chance you have video recommendations on the sanitary area specifically, as well as general grooming ones?
Start at 17m 30s for a sani with Sue Zecco and toy poodle

Start at 1m 30s for a sani with Diane Betelak

A Stickied thread in this same forum

There's a number of good grooming videos but I'd begin with just 2 or 3 different groomers at the start.

Reactions: RL13

·
Registered
666 Posts
What kind of Andis did you get? Trimmers come with a 30 blade. That blade is too short to clip the sanitary area. If you got Andis clippers then they come with a 10 blade. Just so you’re aware!
I get not wanting to take him until he’s had all his vaccinations. He looks very sweet.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts