Poodle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was practicing "stay" with TQ and Tate tonight while doing the laundry (they were told "stay" and I walked away and loaded the washer/dryer then I came back... so less than 5 minutes each time), and when I came back I game them a cookie and a kiss if they didn't move. (They did awesome, by the way. Didn't even move a muscle! TQ STAYED on her back with her legs up in the air, just as I had left her! :D)

Well, I noticed it was time to give my two a bath when I was kissing their heads. Normally - unless it has been a dirty playing kinda day - I go by whether or not they have that "dog" smell. They have it. Time for a baaath!

Not sure if it is all poodles, but Tate never really smells like a dog unless he is dirty. Is this because they have hair as opposed to fur?

Have some pictures I've been meaning to post, hopefully I can get to it tomorrow! :)

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Once a week is bath time for my gang.

But when I have them cut down I give them a bath when they get real dirty or start to smell

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Teddy never smells like a dog, so he gets a bath after he's been rolling around in the grass and dirt or two weeks after his last bath, whichever comes first.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
I go by brushing (and "dog smell"!!). When it gets to the point where, no matter how much I brush him out, he's still kinky curly and his hair is still floppy and tangles quickly, it's time for a bath. It's around this time he starts stinking, hahah. But I use smelly water mist on him when I brush, so I can keep the stink away for a while. Thankfully, I should be able to give him baths way more often now (ughhh finally, last day of school!!! Got all summer to play :) and I just bought a good dryer, so bath time won't be an all-night affair). That way we won't even get to the smelly phase! :) He'll just be clean and fresh all the time. Whoopee!

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I have a new standard poodle client. She said something negative about the "other" groomer" and I didn't go into it with her. Anyway, I take the dog from her and tell her to rest assure, he'll be gorgeous when she returns.

OH MAN, one touch, one time of running my hands thru, he felt so greasy. Which is sooooo unusual for a poodle.

He had 3 degreasing baths with Les Pooches F&T, the orange degreaser and 2 baths with LP HYPO and no conditioner. He was totally blown out and STILL felt greasy, so he went back in the bath again.

ANY, I told the owner what a lot of work it was to make him just feel and smell clean. She said he ALWAYS came back from his other groomer feeling that way and she thought it was NORMAL for her dog. So now he is on a 3 week schedule. That is the longest I think a poodle should go without a bath. You can go much longer without a haircut, but I honestly feel 2 weeks is all I can stand for mine at home.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Darcy is getting a full bath every 2 weeks. He has some dry skin, so I don't want to bathe him more often. But he has to have a tummy and leg wash every few days, as he seems to get pee all over him and starts to smell. Yuck.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
I go by brushing (and "dog smell"!!). When it gets to the point where, no matter how much I brush him out, he's still kinky curly and his hair is still floppy and tangles quickly, it's time for a bath. It's around this time he starts stinking, hahah. But I use smelly water mist on him when I brush, so I can keep the stink away for a while. Thankfully, I should be able to give him baths way more often now (ughhh finally, last day of school!!! Got all summer to play :) and I just bought a good dryer, so bath time won't be an all-night affair). That way we won't even get to the smelly phase! :) He'll just be clean and fresh all the time. Whoopee!
What is in the "smelly water mist"? What a great idea!

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
What is in the "smelly water mist"? What a great idea!

Lol, oh it's just a bottle of Miracle Coat leave in conditioner spray (you can get it from petco), but when it got to about 1/3 of the bottle left, I filled it up with water... and just kept refilling it whenever the bottle ran low. It's probably like 95% water at this point, but still smells awesome. :)

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Still haven't gotten around to pictures OR bathing my dogs. I'm terrible, really.

I use smelly spray on my guys, too, whenever I brush them. To keep them refreshed. However it has been really hot here, and Tate comes inside smelling like a sweaty boy. TQ never sweats... you know... because she is a girl. (Girls never poop or fart, either. :p)

My mom and I both use the same spray, and it is made up of just... oils. Tea tree oil and lavender. Both easily bought, put in a spray bottle with about 97% water, and you're good to go! (Although I have to make sure TQ dries before I leave her alone... tea tree oil - if ingesting too much - is poisonous.)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Sunny gets a bath when he starts smelling "ripe." Since he's a boy that happens every other week or so. My husband often remarks that he never smells like a stinky dog. I say because he's not a dog. He's better than that, he's a poodle. ;-)

~Haley

·
Registered
229 Posts
Cricket is a very clean girl, and she has gone almost a whole month without a bath without getting stinky. (Not regularly of course!) Clover on the other hand.......she would need one daily in order to keep her clean and fresh. She is a curious pup still though, so she still gets into everything while outside.....the pool cover, the flowerbeds, mud etc. Clover gets one once a week, and Cricket gets one every 2-3 weeks usually.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Do some poodles smell more than others? I feel like I can't go any longer than a week before Lincoln is "ripe". Luckily I enjoy bathing him. Maybe I should try a degreaser too. :eek:hwell:

·
Registered
875 Posts
ummmmmm

:doh: Gotti hasnt had a bath in oh about 3 months, I keep him shaved with a 10 blade all over.

Dogs in pet clips get washed (sometimes) about once a month, the ones in Show coat are washed every week to ten days. they probably do smell, but im just used to it

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Paris can go for a month, or a week, or anywhere in between. Just depends on when I have time and feel like doing her!!! lol! I do notice that if she's not been bathed for a couple of weeks that her coat knots up more though..

1 - 17 of 17 Posts