Poodle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious when toys reach full size (I hear it's sooner than standards/minis?), and what your experiences are with when your toy reached full-size!

My girl has been growing quick, and at 5 1/2 months she's actually already bigger than most other toy poodles we've come across!! I wonder if she's going to be oversized or more of a mini, or if she's perhaps mostly grown?

Is there any way to tell from her shape/proportions or other clues?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Small dogs do mature faster. Google says 6-7 months. Thats when they reach full height, they usually change dramatically in shape at around 1, Get more filled out and such.

Reactions: chickennugget

·
Registered
7,101 Posts
Beckie reached her adult height at about 8 months, but she put on weight up to about 12-15 months. At 8 months she was 6lbs and now at almost 3 1/2 she fluctuates between 8.2lbs and 8.5lbs, depending on how much she likes her food.

·
Registered
Toy poodles Zara(2015) and Reyna(2020). Maltese Ema(2011/2019) and Roxy(2011)
17 Posts
My baby is 6 mo old and she is the hight of my adult toy poodle. But her body is not proportional and we enjoy watching her grow every day ❤ magical experience.
I read online and I saw that toy poodle will reach definite size when she/he become adult and that is 12 month.

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
I put an old weight when Renn was young, it said he would weigh 60.1 lbs and now that he is almost 3 he weighs 68 lbs. He isn't fat at all, pretty lean but I think this is a pretty close.

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
Was your pup sold as a toy? Did you see the dam and sire and did the breeder say if they were toys?

If she's born from toy parents, she's genetically a toy, but some do go oversize.

Here's a chart for typical/average growth by height at the shoulder, which is the measurement to use. Of course you want your pup at a healthy weight but that will be ultimately determined by their height.

I dont hold a lot of stock in the size charts for poodles out there but I have gotten so many requests for them I decided to post some of the better ones here. Remember though, there are NO weight restrictions on poodles only height so really weight doesnt have a lot to do with the poodle. Toys are 10 inches in height and under. Miniatures are over 10 inches to 15 inches.Standards are over 15 inches. This by the breed standards for both AKC and UKC. NOTE: A poodles height is measured from the ground up to the top of the withers (shoulder blades).

HEIGHT CHART FOR TOY POODLES

AGE IN WEEKSHEIGHT IN INCHES
5 WEEKS5 INCHES

8 WEEKS

6 INCHES
12 WEEKS
7 INCHES
16 WEEKS
8 INCHES

20 WEEKS

9 INCHES

24 WEEKS

10 INCHES

Toy poodles are usually finished growing in height at 6-7 months although it may take them a bit longer to fill out.

Here is another height chart for toy poodles.

AGE IN WEEKSHEIGHT IN INCHES
8 WEEKS5 3/4 INCHES
12 WEEKS6 3/4 INCHES
6 MONTHS9 3/4 INCHES

HEIGHT CHART FOR MINIATURE POODLES

AGE IN MONTHSHEIGHT IN INCHES
8 WEEKS8 - 8.5 INCHES
3 MONTHS10 - 10.5 INCHES
4 MONTHS11 - 11.5 INCHES
6 MONTHS13.5 - 14 INCHES

Some miniature poodles will take up to 12 months to finish growing. Some will finish growing in height around 6-7 months but may take a bit longer to fill out.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Interesting!! Thank you for the height chart :) yes, both her parents were toys with the mom being a little bit on the larger side. My puppy's sister was noticeably smaller than her when we visited at 6 weeks, and the breeder mentioned our girl would probably be about an inch taller than her sis in adulthood.

I measured her today and she was a liiiittle bit squirmy, but at 6 months exactly she seems to be exactly at 10 inch mark! If she keeps growing, would that make her a "mini" or would she just be considered an oversized toy? Are there any differences besides height?

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
If she's born from toy parents, she's a toy, but some do go oversize.

from https://vgl.ucdavis.edu/sites/g/files/dgvnsk8836/files/files/page/ToyPoodle20191010.pdf

Between the 1940s and the 1980s many Toy to Miniature crosses were done to try to improve the type of the existing Toy Poodles and add new colors. This type of breeding continued until the 1970’s or 1980’s, after which most breeding was kept mainly within the variety and within colors1. Although the result of crossing the original Toys to Miniatures improved head, length of leg, length of body, and coat, it has made it difficult to produce well typed dogs within the desired height of 9.5 to 10 inches at the shoulder. The height issue continues to be one of the biggest challenges for breeders2.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts