Poodle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am curious when Miniature Poodle puppies stop growing as Panda is massive and only 16 weeks old. He is bigger than last years litter already, bigger than his mum already and was 5.4KG last week. He is also significantly bigger than this years litter. Has he just done all his growing in 16 short weeks and then stop or have we got a giant on our hands here? He does have massive feet too.... Both his parents are mini's though. Oh and he was 13" to his shoulders when I last measured him last week.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not sure what the breeder knows about his line. Both his parents are imported from germany.

·
Registered
12,183 Posts
My feeling is that a pup does the bulk of its growing by nine months. They will grow miniscule amounts after that that you likely won't even notice after that. But their skeleton will contiune to grow and change until they are two. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Panda is already as tall as Teddy is at 12 months. He will probably end up being on the large size for a mini. I think Ted was about 9 inches at Panda's age. He did most of his growing between 6 and 9 months. Once he reached 9 months of age, it slowed down a lot, but didn't stop altogether.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I guess he might creep into the Standard size range then as if he is 13" at 16 weeks, he may very well get to 15" by the time he has finnished growing.

I know in Germany Miniature poodles can go up to 18.75" (unless I looked at an outdated website) and since his parents are from Germany many there are some larger minis in his line. His pedigree should arrive soon so I can try and look it up but I am not sure how to do that really.

Whatever size he ends up we love him so much, he has such a handsome face and he is a really funny boy :)

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Maybe he will slow down now then. I guess we will have to see, maybe he will just have big feet for a poodle. :)

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hmm, Maybe he hasn't stopped growing. Just measured him and he has grown an inch in the last week! he is 14" now!

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Olie is 11 months and in the last 6-8 weeks he has shot up over an inch and a half and still seems to be doing a last minute spurt.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts