Poodle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my 5 month old puppy about a month and i am wondering when i should have her groomed. I have trimmed around her face, mouth and feet to keep her clean and hair out of her eyes.
I have never had a poodle before. Will it keep growing? Her hair is corkscrew curls as an undercoat and fairly straight as the topcoat. She is apricot.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Poodle hair keeps growing like human hair and now would be a good time to take her to a professional and have her groomed. Depending on how fast the hair grows or how long you keep the coat they need pro grooming every 4-8 weeks.

Would you mind posting a picture? :)

·
Poodle Named Moose
1,125 Posts
When moose was a puppy at that age I was grooming him once a week to make sure he got used to it and didn't mind.

Seems to have worked as he could care less and only gets fussy when I take to long :D or in case of yesterday I cut his short spots TOO SHORT due to blade problems.. OH-WELL they grow super fast and he's not in the sun to much.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I will be adding a picture soon. Thanks for asking.

I guess I should make an appt for her as I am not quite ready to do her cut myself. Her hair seems fine in texture.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Groom often often often right now! Just to get the puppy used to it.

The coat will start to change between 7-11 monthsish. This varies by dog and you'll notice mats (probably under the arms or on the back feet is where I saw them first) and at this point, daily brushing will be required unless you have your pup clipped short.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts