Poodle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone :) Noodle is nearing 6 months old now and I've read that her first heat could come anywhere between now and 18 months old (which seems like such a big window!)

Our family members have a male puppy and up until now we've been letting them play together, but I'm worried that this might not be safe for her if she's about to go into heat. Once she's had her first season, we'll be having her spayed so won't need to worry about it then, but I'd just like an idea of when this is likely to be so I can make sure we're careful.

Have any of your poodles actually had their first heat at 6 or 18 months, or is it usually some point in the middle? Also, does anyone know whether the time tends to be different for toys, minis and standards?

Thank you!

·
Super Moderator
5,819 Posts
Peggy, a spoo, had her first heat at 8.5 months. She's now in her second heat at 14.5 months.

We did have ample warning before she was fertile—at least a few days—but I know this is not always the case. You may not even know your girl's gone into heat.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Mia's first heat was at 13.5 months. I was on the lookout, but it still took me by surprise. The first sign was a drop of blood on the kitchen floor.

ETA: She's a standard.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Phoebe is a standard and her first heat just started a few days ago, she is 10.5 months. I was watching her like a hawk for the first sign and it was a drop of blood was on my duvet.

·
Registered
9 Posts
My 2 year old Miniature Red Poodle started first heat at 7 months and 3 weeks , and my 1 year old started her first heat at 7 months and 2 weeks.
The 2 year old flows for an average of 22 days, and the 1 year old flowed for about 20 days.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
My spoo hadnt had her first heat when she was spayed at 18 months. Allegedly her line runs to 20-22 months for first heat.

I have always thought of the 6 mo figure as "never before this" though I know some breeds like labs regularly start at 6 mo or so.

I let her play with an unneutered male dog ocasionally, and was very reassured that the dog completely ignored her in favour of older, spayed girls. If he started showing any sign of interest, I would have stopped letting them play. I still watched them like a hawk.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you for all your replies - it looks like it really is as varied as I was worried it would be!

I think based on this, I'd probably be best keeping them apart - he's already been a bit "amorous" against her leg, and I don't want any accidents!

·
Registered
12,595 Posts
I think it is usually fairly easy to spot the change in behaviour that comes with a season. For the first few days the male is more interested than the female, and she is likely to tell him off if he pressures her. As she reaches her fertile days she usually becomes more flirtatious, eventually presenting her rear to him and flagging her tail to one side. And a daily inspection of her vulva will give you warning that she is coming into season as soon as it begins to swell. It may prove tricky to keep them apart for up to 12 months, so knowing the early signs to look out for may be helpful.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
I agree with FJM. Although I didn't have an intact male in the house, we regularly hiked with an intact male before Mia was spayed, without any issue. Also, Noodle's breeder should be able to narrow the window, as females in the same lineage tend to come into season at around the same age.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you, this is really helpful! The breeder said it should be around 9 months so I'll keep an eye out for the early signs and hopefully it won't be too long.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts