Poodle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not planning on breeding Poppy, but due to an inverted vulva and possible other health benifits I will be allowing her to have her first heat. I cannot get any info from her breeder, other issue for other time, on her family history of first heats so I'm left out in the cold on any info to assist in predicting when it will come. She was born on 7-17-09, so she is nearly 8 months old. I have her signed up to start beginner obedience classes next week with a local AKC branch and I'm a little worried she may go into heat near the end of the 8 week course. Of course if she did we would not attend the remaining classes.

Any thoughts on when I could expect her heat?

Also, I have never had a dog in heat and I know to keep her on a leash and under close watch while she is in heat, should not be a problem as she is our only dog and is in the house, but what should I expect and what advice do you have for me?

thanks

·
Registered
12,183 Posts
Any female Spoos I have lived with generally have their first heat at about nine months old. It really isn't horrible except for the mess! They sometimes get a little mushy and cuddlier just prior to. Stock up on pull-ups or underwear, diaper pins and lightdays pads. (I buy the long ones for size 14 plus. They fill the entire area that could get messy). I use men's Small underwear, pin them on each side of the tail with a pad in them, and you should be good to go.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
without any help from the breeder, then it could be literally any time. I know of girls that don't come in until 15 months, and others that are into it at 9 months.... It's really just a case of waiting and seeing!!

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
I think it is such an individual thing. Sabrina came into heat for the 1st time at 7 months and cycled every 20 weeks like clock work. Her daughter Izze did not have a 1st heat until she was 14 months old. Delilah is 13 months old and she has not had her 1st heat yet.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Rainee had her first heat when she was just a week shy of turning 1 year old. I bought the bitches britches and women's panty liners for her first cycle and then I discovered (through this group) that (in my humble opinion) toddler's pull-ups are MUCH better at catching "leaks". Boy, they are terrific. Just cut a hole for the tale and absolutely NO leaks around the edges. My girl is 50 pounds and she fits very nicely in size 4T-5T.

What to expect? I changed the undies 4 or 5 times a day for the first couple of weeks and then when she was no longer dripping, I let her be without the undies and she would lick herself to keep clean. But, watch for the boy dogs!

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
your Poppy and my Vaka have the same birthday :)

our boy Charly is now real interested in her so I think I don't have to wait much longer for her first heat.

Dima was 9 months old when she had her first heat and she has them now with 9 months in between witch is heaven :)

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I found very nice, very slim panties at a dog show and bought 6 pairs. They don't ruin the fur, they are more akin to a bikini type rather than a full panty. My bitch was black so I bought black background small prints. The girls are so snuggly and quiet and no trouble at all. The males on the other hand whimper 24-7

1 - 7 of 7 Posts