Poodle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All!!
Wondering if everyone would chime in as to what age you first took your puppies to the groomer? Or groomed them yourselves?? And what all did you have done?

Has anyone had a fairly young baby fully shaved down?

My baby is hot!! Just wondering about everybody’s opinions on shaving his body at 12 or 13 weeks.... He’s in Central AZ and it’s already around 92. I am already cranking the AC for him as I can tell he his sensitive to the heat. I want him to be comfortable!! Are there any caveats you can think of to doing this? Would I be messing up his coat for the future? Opening him up to skin conditions?

Just trying to do some due diligence:) any and all responses appreciated!!!

·
Registered
587 Posts
I trimmed Milo pretty short at around 10 weeks. He was a summer puppy. No issues, he had been groomed at his breeder since he was 4 weeks old. I also shaved his face, I started with a 10 blade, you need to get the skin used to it. However the bigger issue would be trying to wrangle a squirmy puppy. He will get used to it very soon.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Haha! Squirmy puppy! I tried to freshen up his face yesterday and that’s all I got!

I kno the groomer worked with him a bit but not sure how much ?

What do you mean by ‘summer puppy’?? Is that supposed to affect them? Rocco was born in January in a cold climate. So he is a winter puppy!

·
Premium Member
25,464 Posts
I think Asuk just was referring to the fact that it was warm weather when Milo was a pup. You could try using a longer cutting blade if you don't want a nekkid pup. I also think a bit of hair can be both cooling by keeping direct sun off skin as well as insulating if well fluffed and air trapping.

Javelin had his FFT done three times by his breeder and I think I did the same within a couple or three weeks after bringing him home to keep him understanding that grooming is part of being a poodle.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Awesome! So.... sounds like shaving him down will be good all around. I surely want him to get accustomed to grooming and be as easy as all those poodles in the grooming videos on YouTube ? hahaha

·
Premium Member
4,055 Posts

·
Registered
587 Posts
10 blade is OK- or longer than that?
I use a 10 blade for his face. For his body, I attach a 9mm comb to the trimmer with a 30 blade. I have the wahl bravura. This is how I did it when he was a pup.

Nowadays, his face is shaved with a 30 blade and body is whatever length I want. Usually 6mm for summer. Some trimmers you can use a 4 blade without a comb. I have the bravura so it’s a 5 in 1 blade with comb options.

·
Registered
4,460 Posts
My guy had a full face feet and fanny done when he arrived at 9 weeks, at 12 weeks I began taking him to the groomer every 4 weeks and he always got the same cut, around 5 months we started a full groom which included his body. He was a winter baby but but summer he was 5 months. I don't go real short he has about 1 inch of fur maybe a bit more. I won't do a complete shave down unless for some reason it becomes necessary, I just like the look and love sinking my fingers into his fur, lol. I also live in a hot, humid climate but he is indoors with ac so he should be fine. I also feel some fur protects them from heat too. But I'm not an expert on the matter.

·
Registered
10,294 Posts
I would not recommend clipping or shaving the hair too short when it's hot. A certain amount of space for air trapped between the body (especially organs) and the outer surface of the hair...in the hair... will help insulate. And for a dog, "hot" is over 85 or so. They can't take the heat as well as we can. Your dog should probably stay indoors and maybe in the evening or very early morning for outdoor activities. Az gets hot! Here are some tips too.

https://www.k9kampus.com/summerheatanddogs.html

My poodle boys were started with grooming by the breeder when they were about 4 weeks of age. I got them at 8 and they had just been done before I took them home... and I don't remember exactly when I started but it wasn't long after...maybe two weeks, if not out of a need for grooming, for practice for them and me too.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Rocco is going to the groomer on the 18th!! He won’t be spending much time outside when it’s hot as I have no desire to be out there, either! I’m so confused as to all the blade lengths!! I’ll have the groomer show me I guess!! The trainer I’m taking him to for puppy classes says she doesn’t groom her dogs anymore and is going to give me her grooming supplies!!! Neato, right!!!???

I have an Andis 5 speed clipper but only a 10 blade right now. Going to buys smaller one for the FFT.

Ultimately I want to take him to the groomer about every six months and clean him up myself in between- but def going to take him to the pros a lot as a pup to get him accustomed.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Gracie is a 4 1/2 month mini pup who came to me at 8 weeks. Here is our journey with grooming so far:

- she came with trimmed FFT by the breeder

- I started weekly baths and nail trims and regular brushing right away. She was fine with it all.

- I did not clip her as she was so small (3.1lbs) I thought I’d leave it for a professional.

-Brought her to a groomer for FFT at 12 weeks and she was very uncooperative, particularly with shaving the face

- Bought a mini Bravura and started desensitizing her...using cookies, just touching her face and body with it, etc. Minimal success

- A friend recommended a groomer who is a poodle breeder. I brought her at 16 weeks and she was fine with this groomer. She said she fought the face shave for a moment but then just resigned herself and was fine. Came back with a beautiful groom!

- I’ve continued to brush, bathe, do nails, and some clipping. She is a squirmy puppy with her muzzle, but it’s a little better.

Bottom line, Miss Gracie presented challenges that I needed a professional for....and a professional that knew how to handle squirmy poodle puppies! I’ve been grooming my adult dogs for a while now, but I needed help with the puppy.

I know nothing of “summer puppies”- Gracie was born in December and it’s still pretty winter like in upstate NY! Eventually summer will come. I usually do my other dogs with a 4 blade on their body and a 10 on the poodle face.

Good luck, I’ll be following your journey.

·
Registered
21 Posts
When I got Lebowski at 12 weeks he had FFT done.

I groomed my previous SP, so about a week after our new one settled in, I was sitting on the floor with him, giving him his breakfast kibble bit by bit as treats while I did some random grooming on his face and feet.

I do this about every two weeks. He's gotten really good with having his "beak" shaved (as I call his muzzle, lol), and I don't like fuzzy faces, so this is a win/win for both of us.

I did trim down his body hair about a week ago with a #8 guard, so he's about an inch long all over. It gets hot fast here in Atlanta, and we tend to keep our place in the high 70's and he was hot with 3" of fluffy puppy fur.

I dremel his and his brother's (a chihuahua) nails every two weeks. Neither of them mind it. I *hated* clipping nails because of worrying about hurting them, and the dremel is SOOOO much better. No sharp edges, which is especially good with Figment, because he visits elderly and demetia centers with me, and the elderly can have very delicate skin-can't have him accidentally scratching them as he sits on their laps.

They both get a shower about 1x week. Some people say this is too much, but my 7 yo chihuahua has the glossiest, softest fur you've ever seen, and doesn't have dry skin. Lebowski can't wait to get in the shower with me-loves the water.

The one thing I'm still working on is plucking the hair out of Lebowski's ears. I use the rosin powder and my fingers (had a bad experience with a hemostat with my previous SP), and he does NOT like it, but he's got a lot of fluff deep in his ears, so I'm using some high value treats and breaking it up into 5 minute sessions so he can get through it.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
So a 4 is longer than a 10, then, correct?
You are correct. I usually do Poppy's body in the summer with a 5 blade which is 1/4" long. In the winter I use a 3 blade which is 1/2" long....a 3 blade is about 3/8" so just in between the two lengths I use.

Last summer I did her body with a 5 blade and her legs with a 3 so that she had fluffier legs and not such skinny ones. She plays a lot and gets all muddy and icky so I decided to do her legs the same length so she wouldn't drag so much dirt inside.

Here are pictures of her from 2 weeks ago, with her 5 blade haircut and skinny ballerina legs! Of course, her topknot and ears and tail are still fluffy.

Attachments

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Awww what a sweetie your girl is:). I’m getting the impression these guys love the camera a lil bit;)
Thankyou very much for that explanation! It helps a bit...but... what the heck are 30’s and 40’s?! I’ve seen so many references to ‘doing the face with a 40’....

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
RSH- you mentioned doing the ears...I am shaking in my boots about doing Rocco’s ears... I feel like if I do that to him my puppy is gonna hate me, lol!! It looks just awful:( I’ll have the groomer do it I guess at first. Also afraid for him to make a negative connotation about the groomer tho, as well....feeling all kindsa conflicted about those ears:/

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.