Poodle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never seen a puppy that can poop as much as Cash, during the day he isn't much of a problem seeing we take him out almost every hour. We've tried crating him at night so he wouldn't poop all over our room, we've actually put him in a decent sized pet taxi after the crate and he still managed to poop and pee in it and got it all in his fur...not pleasant, he also braked ALL NIGHT in i as well. My husband has had it and I'm definitely going to have to rent a rug doctor and he says I need to figure something out. Does anyone have any suggestions? I also don't feed him after a certain time..so I just don't get it! Maybe I should leave them outside for awhile during the day? Omg!

·
Registered
157 Posts
Whats the brand of food you are feeding him? Maybe you should switch him to a grain-free food that is high in protein, or switch him to a homemade or raw diet.

One of the common questions when feeding raw is "Why isn't my dog pooping as much?". If your not comfortable with raw, homemade and a high quality grain-free food are probably your best bets.

·
Poodle Named Moose
1,125 Posts
Sounds like there may be a lot of fat / crap in his diet?

If I remember right the lower quality foods cause dogs to poop more because it's a lot of filler they can't digest anyway.

For reference Moose has always pooped 2 or 3x a day unless he was sick.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
I think it may be his diet too. How many times a day does he eat or is he free feeding? (I thought he was hubby's dog, why do you need to figure something out?)

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
I believe with training and possibly a lot of patience a crate will work almost 100% of the time. Now that I have a baby that I am crate training and potty training as well this is all fresh in my mind and this is pretty much how I have gone from a screaming little pup while in a crate to a puppy who goes in his crate on his own already after just two nights!

I think some of the main mistakes made when crate training are..

- How the crate is introduced
This crate should be his safe place, a place just for him and only him, a place he can sleep, be comfortable and just feel very safe. It should be introduced gradually and slowly with only second intervals inside the crate to start with and using food rewards or even a "clicker" and a treat reward every time he steps into his crate.

- Being crated for too long too soon could easily cause anxiety around the crate, or only crating when you are going to leave he will associate the crate with you leaving. I believe when training even when you are home it's beneficial to crate your puppy for an hour or two once maybe even twice a day.

This will give your puppy time to get rest as well as you some alone time to do whatever you need to do!

- NEVER let the puppy out of his crate when he is protesting or crying, this will just further reinforce the behavior. Wait until he's quiet and then let him out.

- NEVER use the crate as punishment! It's a safe place and should always remain his safe place

Also, I think most people get crates that are too big, way too big. The crate should ONLY be big enough for the puppy to stand up, turn around and lie down without too much extra room for anything else, that is it. If you are worried about the crate being too small when he's bigger buy a big crate but get a divider or a way to make the crate much smaller for house training purposes.

Even then young pups will sometimes pee without being able to help it and this can make a mess. I restrict water after 7pm and I don't go to sleep until about 1am so this leaves plenty of time for the pup to get anything out that he needs to before bed!

I also have a raised grate inside his crate so that if he does happen to pee he wont be sleeping in it, this wouldnt do much for poop however...

My first night with this new pup I had his crate right by my side of the bed, if he started to wimper or protest even the slightest I just would drop my hand down by the cage door and stick my finger inside just to let him know that I am still there right beside him, i was pretty much half doing this in my sleep, I had to do the same thing for Vega on his first few nights! It seems to work well and is a great way to reassure them that you are still there.

I do think diet has a lot to do with your pups issues! Also make sure you aren't feeding too late. My pup is fed three times a day at 5am, 10am, and 3pm and maybe a snack after I get home from work like a milk bone or something like that but nothing too heavy for him. I work during the day but my boyfriend keeps his feeding pretty much on the hour just to keep him on a very set schedule.

Feeding the same time daily has everything to do with housetraining. It's impossible to house train a dog if you don't know when they are going to have to use the restroom.

I also follow the general rule that about 10 minutes after playing, sleeping, eating or drinking it's a good idea to take the pup out to see if he needs to use the restroom. Chances are he will!

Unless you can watch your puppy almost 100% he should be crated. When im at the computer i have the puppy tethered to me, he's never allowed to roam around freely unless im there playing with him or following him around. It leaves less room for an accident and more chances to catch him sniffing around and to take him right outside. Every single time you can catch him about to go and take him outside is a chance to train him and every accident is a step backwards so try to find every opportunity you can to take him outside and praise for eliminiating.

I feed my dogs Taste of the Wild and always have firm stools and they dont eliminate as much as they did on other foods as well.

Also, at least to me..it doesnt smell as bad..kind of a pointless observation but figured it worth mentioning! lol

Good luck with house training, it can be a pain in the butt... and you really do have to be patient. I think the hardest part is not taking the pup out when he's crying because nobody likes for their baby to be upset...

You may want to consider at least a vet checkup to make 100% sure that there isn't anything wrong. Having accidents in a crate can be somewhat normal but that often I would worry. Puppies do have small bladders so I can easily understand a pee accident but if he's been outside well before going to bed it doesn't seem right for him to being pooping in his crate..unless like mentioned earlier the crate might just be too big. They are supposed to be very snug inside there crate..not stuffed in but snug and cozy!

·
Registered
646 Posts
We tried everything with Casey and it took forever as he would poop and pee in the crate. I ended up getting the smallest crate well actually made our crate as small as possible with zip ties and pc of wood so that all he could do was turn around and lie down.

I believe when she said he was crate trained she meant he lived in a crate so he only new to potty in a crate.

Food is a big part of it TOTW is an awsome food and with such little pups they would eat so little that it wouldn't be that expencive. Eat less poop less.
Mandy is on grain free and only goes once a day.
Casey can't handle grain free and he goes more.
Dont forget to watch what treats as well if he is getting a tonne of cookies a day as treats that adds up tomore poop as well.
I use a different kibble for training so it is exciting yet still a decent treat.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good advice, I'm going to switch his food which I am also sure is
the problem as well, somehow it doesn't effect Scooter's pooping
though.Yes, he is hubby's, however it's up to me to figure something
out and ask advice of the poodle forum which I meant. Cash is
a big eater, when he finishes his bowl of food he will try to sneak
the cats food, Loki's and Scooter's....when I KNOW he
is getting enough, the thing is soo round, lol.

For now Scooter and Cash has their own little poodle room in
which they are kept at night with hard tile floors.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I didn't read all the above this time but here is what I know. I can't sleep tonight so I am posting a lot lol.

Rich or faty food is bad for dogs. It will take a dog a month to adjust to a food. Poodles especially because they have finicky stomachs.

other issues to consider.

Poodles are very smart and don't like to be left alone, however I have always create trained mine.

Poodles often make a mess to show you they are mad.
Some poodles may have a stress problems when being left alone causeing stomach problems. They should adjust overtime.

·
Registered
875 Posts
I didn't read all the above this time but here is what I know. I can't sleep tonight so I am posting a lot lol.

Rich or faty food is bad for dogs. It will take a dog a month to adjust to a food. Poodles especially because they have finicky stomachs.

other issues to consider.

Poodles are very smart and don't like to be left alone, however I have always create trained mine.

Poodles often make a mess to show you they are mad.
Some poodles may have a stress problems when being left alone causeing stomach problems. They should adjust overtime.
Dogs are not vindictive- they do not do things because they are mad.

I would start transitioning him to a higher quality food, and feeding him at scheduled times. he should not be allowed to eat the cat food, it is too high in protien, and can cause renal (kidney) failure. he also should not be allowed to finish the other dogs food. all dogs should be given their meal for 15 minutes if they dont finish it, save it for next time.

scheduled meals = scheduled poop

·
Registered
875 Posts
oh, and when you put him in a crate: the crate should be big enough that he can stand up lay down and turn around, thats all the room he needs until he is more reliable.

ignore the barking, he will stop
you can try an EX-pen with a bed on one side, and papers or a pee pad or that fake grass stuff on the other
has he had a fecal test to make sure he doesnt have worms?

Im not sure how old he is or anything

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
Same here. The crate has to be just big enough for them to move around in or they will definitely do their potty in there. I learned by experience. Poodle baths every morning are not fun! I had a large crate thinking that my puppy would be more comfortable in it but it allowed her to move away from her bed and do her business in it throughout the night. I bought a crate just big enough for her and after two nights she never had an accident again. She didn't like sleeping in her own wet.

I can't have a puppy by my bed as I have a serious problem with sleep due to PTSD so I can't offer that comfort that Agility mentioned. I put my pups in the crate for the night with a chewy and let them figure it out. It doesn't take long before they realize that this is their bed and they sleep through the night. I have to sleep with earplugs so it made it easier on me too. I find this to be the most difficult part of raising a pup.

·
Registered
861 Posts
I don't have much crate training advice, but our girl was introduced at the breeder so she was familiar when we brought her home. As for the crying, she might cry for a minute or two but that's it. If she then cried in the night I knew she needed to go out. She'd usually make it from about 10 pm to 4 or 5 am the first two weeks. One of us slept on the couch (near her but out of sight) to be quick on the draw then. *yawn* It was exhausting but soon passed.

Thanks for the reminder on not punishing with the crate. She drove me batty yesterday with her barking (wanting to join the children and I outside but she RUINS their clothing with her teeth nips, still, so I didn't want her out at that time), so I put her in her crate. She did stop barking, but next time I'll try the bathroom.

As for pooping, our dog eats 1/2 grain-free and 1/2 raw tripe. She poops 3 times per day. Since you say he seems to eat a lot and then try to steal food, maybe it is also quantity?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts