Poodle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, we have this little routine at home, where Pavie gets a greenie after coming back from his bedtime pee before going to sleep. I'm not really sure how effective greenies are, but we have been using them as a dental preventative since he was a puppy. He somehow loves them and gets more excited about them than his other treats (including freeze dried treats, or even boiled chicken and cheese). Not sure why 馃. He's not very food motivated in general, but with greenies, it's completely different. He used to get them for free, as I thought of it as a preventive, instead of a treat. Nowadays, I usually get him to do a trick before giving him the greenie. We have been practicing going into the crate and going through a tunnel at home. He gets so excited after the bedtime pee that he often automatically rushes into the create or automatically runs through the tunnel as soon as I get the greenie out (before I even tell him the command -- he never does this with other types of food!). And then when he gets his greenie, he rushes to his favorite spot to eat it. :ROFLMAO:

Any ideas why you think greenies are so tasty?

What is your dog's favorite treat?

Registered
Is it the only chew-type treat he gets (that takes more than a second to eat)? If yes, he might enjoy chewing so much that he鈥檚 amped about that, not necessarily the greenie itself. I鈥檝e never fed those.

Phoebe LOVES freeze dried beef liver. It鈥檚 her after-grooming treat, and she occasionally gets them for going in her pen. I鈥檝e started feeding her 1/2 lb of fresh pet for breakfast every day and she is crazy for it. She watches closely as I cut it up and then as I start towards her pen, she runs in and sits far back. So it鈥檚 not a treat, but I could probably use it for treats!

Administrator
Peggy races to her crate after her evening pee, and then lies down in there to wait patiently for her 1/4 cup of Honest Kitchen Whole Food Clusters. I can hear her crunching away as I close the door and cover the crate.

I think it鈥檚 the routine she loves, much more than the kibble itself. Because if I were to just put it on a plate she would ignore it unless she was really hungry.

Her favourite food is chicken breast. It鈥檚 waaaaay too high-value for training in a low-distraction environment. A close second would be string cheese.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is it the only chew-type treat he gets (that takes more than a second to eat)? If yes, he might enjoy chewing so much that he鈥檚 amped about that, not necessarily the greenie itself. I鈥檝e never fed those.
He actually doesn't like chewing (I think). It can take him weeks to finish a bully stick. And he has a yak cheese that's been lying around for a year (he chews it maybe once a month). I also got him soup bones before, but he wasn't interested in them unless he was hungry. He did like an Icelandic lamb horn we had, and would chew on in every other day. And I think he also kind of likes Virbac C.E.T. Enzymatic Dental Chews, but doesn't always eat it immediately. Greenies is the only chew-type treat he's really crazy about.

Phoebe LOVES freeze dried beef liver. It鈥檚 her after-grooming treat, and she occasionally gets them for going in her pen.
Peggy races to her crate after her evening pee, and then lies down in there to wait patiently for her 1/4 cup of Honest Kitchen Whole Food Clusters. I can hear her crunching away as I close the door and cover the crate.

I think it鈥檚 the routine she loves, much more than the kibble itself. Because if I were to just put it on a plate she would ignore it unless she was really hungry.
Aww, that's cute! Nice to hear that your dogs also have little routines like this. I'm also kind of wondering if it's the routine that Pavie loves when it comes to greenies (though he will still happily take a greenie and eat it even if I give it to him outside the normal routine). We should have another post about routines though, it's just so adorable.

Registered
Luca red tpoo and Matteo blue Spoo
I mash a ripe banana, mix in the same amount of peanut butter and add flour too make a cookie dough. Roll it very flat, score into biscuits and bake at 170 degrees C for an hour. Matteo will do anything for those. Luca on the other hand, will do anything for biscuits I make from a can of tuna, dough, and same procedure as above.

Registered
Kirby gets a greenie as his bedtime snack too! he races to his crate after his bedtime pee and waits for it every night which is absolutely adorable imo. one night he waited nearly 10 minutes before (rather loudly) voicing his disapproval of my lack of haste.

he's also a fan of the usual: boiled chicken, string cheese (his favourite are the small babybel in the red wax), freeze dried liver and perhaps most curiously... pear? we've done a training session or two with itty-bitty slivers of pear from a leftover snack here or there.

Premium Member
Miss Pia Maria , Mr. Leonard Pink , Ida Lou and Ussman
Favorite around here is Cod skins and himalayan chews.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Kirby gets a greenie as his bedtime snack too! he races to his crate after his bedtime pee and waits for it every night which is absolutely adorable imo. one night he waited nearly 10 minutes before (rather loudly) voicing his disapproval of my lack of haste.
So cute :love:

Super Moderator
Galen and Ritter enjoy beef slices. I sometimes get a hunk of a cheap cut like a round, bake it, cut it into little chunks, and freeze for training treats. It's too messy and high value to use for daily training, but it's good for high distraction rewards.

Registered
Before Thomas lost all but 4 of his teeth he loved baby carrots. Nowadays it's smooth peanut butter for his twice daily heart pills. Ethel and Jeffrey get either Pet Botanics training rewards for low value or turkey slices for high value when we do training. Otherwise they line up twice a day with Thomas and get a little dab of peanut butter when he gets his meds.

Registered
Cooked human-grade meat of any kind is super high value for Oona: steak, chicken, and we've tried bits of salmon and trout. I would do pork (she loves it) but if it's fatty it might not agree with her so I've learned to avoid it. She also went crazy for expensive Ziwis lamb treats of some kind but I'm not sure what exactly they were. We sometimes get dried salmon skins which are extra special but since they are hard to break up I don't use them for training other than as a special treat for something like whistle recall. Cheese balls are something our training school uses for certain things and they are VERY appealing to Oona, and are great if you are doing something where you throw the treat off but want it to be visible so they find it fast and reorient to you. Next level we stuff like dehydrated chicken, cheese, liver, and certain novel chewy dog treats (there is a duck one she is a big fan of). She will also work for an apple or orange slice. She will work for regular kibble, since she's a very food motivated girl, but if I'm training something new or we're in a challenging environment it may not be enough.

Registered
Raw turkey wings. I make her work and do a bunch of tricks for her turkey wings , and if I ask her to move from front to my side, she leaps and half snaps at my hands on the way around in her enthusiasm instead of walking. It's rather hilarious. So BoUNCY! Turkey necks and raw beef trachea also win similar points.

Annie would love to be a raw fed dog, any raw meat is about 3x as appealing as cooked meat.

Oh! And smelly cheese! Cheddar or mozzarella is meh, but she loves the fancy cheese I sometimes buy. Sadly for her, I am to cheap to use it as dog treats much!

Registered
I just remembered that she also likes a cheap chicken jerky we can get at the grocery store. It鈥檚 one of my favs because I can carry it in my pocket without it getting greasy or crumby and I can tear it into small pieces. It鈥檚 at a similar level as Beef Rollover (it鈥檚 a beef dog food 鈥 log? almost like a salami but more crumbly) for her, which is above the dehydrated treats but not as high as the human foods. Way cleaner on the pockets and keeps longer than rollover though.

Registered
Meisha loves knee caps and thin rawhide rolls. She lost interest in bully sticks quickly. In the summer she sometimes gets a Frosty Paws in the evening. All my dogs have loved those.
So, we have this little routine at home, where Pavie gets a greenie after coming back from his bedtime pee before going to sleep. I'm not really sure how effective greenies are, but we have been using them as a dental preventative since he was a puppy. He somehow loves them and gets more excited about them than his other treats (including freeze dried treats, or even boiled chicken and cheese). Not sure why 馃. He's not very food motivated in general, but with greenies, it's completely different. He used to get them for free, as I thought of it as a preventive, instead of a treat. Nowadays, I usually get him to do a trick before giving him the greenie. We have been practicing going into the crate and going through a tunnel at home. He gets so excited after the bedtime pee that he often automatically rushes into the create or automatically runs through the tunnel as soon as I get the greenie out (before I even tell him the command -- he never does this with other types of food!). And then when he gets his greenie, he rushes to his favorite spot to eat it. :ROFLMAO:

Benni loves his

Benni loves the Himalayan Peanut Butter Yak cheese dog chew. I get him the large size even though he's just a mini but at 26 pounds, he can chew them down very quickly. I actually have to take it away after from him sooner than he'd like since he can chew it down in no time. While I sit down for a cup of coffee, he knows he will get a skinny french fry sized dehydrated yam from Sams Yams....

Registered
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Benni loves the Himalayan Peanut Butter Yak cheese dog chew. I get him the large size even though he's just a mini but at 26 pounds, he can chew them down very quickly. I actually have to take it away after from him sooner than he'd like since he can chew it down in no time.
Do you microwave the little pieces of the Yak cheese? I heard you can do that to turn them into cheese puffs. :)

Premium Member
Elroy: Standard Poodle, Born 02/20/21
"True Chews" jerky; Chicken or Steak. String cheese. Great for training. Easy to carry without a mess. But like Pavie, Elroy gives a huge thumbs up to greenies! This is his absolute favorite of favorites! He gets them 2 or 3 times a week before bedtime.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts