Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
. . . anyone has ever said or asked you about your poodles?

When I took Clayton to the vet for the first time, I met a woman coming out of the office. She complimented me on how cute he was, and then asked if I dye his hair. I can sort of understand, because his markings are unusual.

But still, I think my jaw about hit the floor on that one. Can you imagine dyeing a dog's hair around his eyes? ACK. Anyway, I just said no and continued on my way. But it was definitely weird.

What weird conversations have you had about your poodles?

·
Registered
546 Posts
. . . anyone has ever said or asked you about your poodles?

When I took Clayton to the vet for the first time, I met a woman coming out of the office. She complimented me on how cute he was, and then asked if I dye his hair. I can sort of understand, because his markings are unusual.

But still, I think my jaw about hit the floor on that one. Can you imagine dyeing a dog's hair around his eyes? ACK. Anyway, I just said no and continued on my way. But it was definitely weird.

What weird conversations have you had about your poodles?

I had a customs officer refer to Snoops as a "larvae" and some guy called him a "snack wrap" the other day... Those are my 2 favorites. Haha!!

Then there is the usual..."is that a rat?" or "what kinda cat is that?"

I often tell people he is "half poodle half teddy bear, or lion" :)

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
My goodness! I can't believe the things people can come up with. Your stories are really funny. A larvea!!!?? What the heck? I have never been asked anything strange but then I have solid colored spoos so I don't think they would illicit those types of remarks. T

he thing I hear people saying the most, especially when I am walking away and they think I can't hear them, is, they're really beautiful dogs but they are way toooo much work. I don't believe that. If you are doing show coat, then, yes, they are a lot of work. but if you have them shaved down close, it's no big deal. You have to wash and brush any dog anyway.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Haha! I guess Snoops gets the comments he does because he is so little... I thought the larvae comment was cute.. The officer said it was because he was small and squirmy.

I have alot of people ask me to pet him, and comment how sweet and well behaved he is. That always makes us proud ... I love that Snoops can put a smile on anyones face :)

Last week at the hotel in NOLA everyone knew him. We would get on the elevator and I would hear "good morning Snoops!" or "snoop is in the house!" whenever we came thru the door. It was very sweet. They even watched him up at the front desk one night so that I could go out! That was awesome!

·
Registered
124 Posts
I have had people tell me that my spoo is not a poodle because he is so big. I actually had an argument with a man that said my dog was over sized and had to be a mix. The dummy told me the breeder lied to me and he feels sorry for me for not knowing what a poodle should look like! I swear, some people think they know everything. Now tell me does this look like a labradoodle to you???

Attachments

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
That is most definitely a spoo. He looks pretty much like my Billy. I have seen two labradoodles and they do not look like that! I wonder what makes some people think it is OK to walk up to someone and make comments like that.

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
I get asked a lot what kind of dogs I have and I have to admit that I was totaly unprepared for that as a poodle owner. I am used to explaining that my tibbies are not this or that or are not mixes but thought for SURE I would almost never get that question with a spoo on the end of the lead. I thought to myself, clean face, clean feet fancy clip or not people will know what they are. Nope. I get asked all the time what kind of dog Jazz or Saleen is and when they are told they are poodles (I usualy omit the standard part b/c I find people don't understand what you mean anyway), I get a lot of shocked "REALLY???"'s It's very odd to me, it's like somebody asked what kind of dog that is when they see a lab or a dalmation or golden retriever.

Haha, it was my turn to be shocked today at the vet though when I took Jazz in for her bord. vax. She was sitting on the bench in the waiting room att stretched out and comfy waiting for her turn and this super sterotypical as backwoods as you can get countryfied red neck complete with ankle bracelet curitosy of the county corrections walks and up says to nobody in particular " Dats ah full blooded poodle dog rit ther" ... OMG... I was like what did you say?? Oh umm yes she is a poodle lol.

This past week somebody was awwww'ing over Saleen at work and they made a comment on how sad it was that such an old ancient dog had to come and sit in a kennel at the groomer's all day... ROFL. I said ma'am thats MY dog and she's is 6 months old and doesn't sit in the kennel all day, when people (like youuuuu) aren't in here she gets to run around in my little area and sleep under the table.
They were just amazed that she wasn't like 100 years old or something. It's the gray muzzle, when I explained that silver dogs are born black and then turn silver over a period of time they seemed to get it that she really was a puppy. Now that I think of it, they aren't the first people to assume saleen is a very old dog lol.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
I have had people ask me as well what kind of dog Kiara was because they did not know poodles came that big! LOL!! I have also had others who comment that Zoey could not be a pure bred becuase she is not the right color for a poodle LOL!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
I have only had Vinnie for a month, but most folks know he's a poodle due to the shaved face. Right now he's about the size of a mini and folks assume he's an adult. When I tell them he is only three months old, they are shocked. The other thing that throws them is that he is actually a silver (his face is getting much lighter, but his body is still dark). I think they think I am nuts.

I get weird guesses on my Italian Greyhounds ALL the time. People think they are Chihuahuas (they are VERY nice specimans of their breed - Betty is a breed ch., so they don't look like Chi's). I even had someone ask me if Frank was a Great Dane puppy - uh... NO! But, mostly, because of my Whippet, when they are all together, people assume the IGs are puppies (they are 6 1/2) and Robin (a MALE) is their mom. Duh.

·
Registered
191 Posts
We had a little girl tell us about Shadow that she loved our "giant poodle". lol Also, Joel made Shadow sit when this guy was approaching with his dog because Shadow was a little more skittish around other dogs there. The guy went into another direction telling his dog, "Sorry, that dog's too fancy for us". lol Guess he has no idea how big of idiots they are at home!

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
I have only had Vinnie for a month, but most folks know he's a poodle due to the shaved face. Right now he's about the size of a mini and folks assume he's an adult. When I tell them he is only three months old, they are shocked. The other thing that throws them is that he is actually a silver (his face is getting much lighter, but his body is still dark). I think they think I am nuts.

I get weird guesses on my Italian Greyhounds ALL the time. People think they are Chihuahuas (they are VERY nice specimans of their breed - Betty is a breed ch., so they don't look like Chi's). I even had someone ask me if Frank was a Great Dane puppy - uh... NO! But, mostly, because of my Whippet, when they are all together, people assume the IGs are puppies (they are 6 1/2) and Robin (a MALE) is their mom. Duh.
Have you ever been asked if they are Whippets??? I asked an IG owner a long time ago that question and she laughed, lol, but at the time I really had never seen a Whippet in person so I assumed they were small like the IG's I know now though lol. But I have to admit, I have gotten a Whippet confused with a greyhound pup....live and learn LOL. But I would NEVER confuse them with a dane or chi!!! LMAO!

·
Registered
151 Posts
I usually got asked if my whippet was an IG, and one guy even argued with me that Whippets weren't a real breed, just Greyhounds were and whippets were mutts. Maybe 3 times ever people guessed her breed correctly.

I never thought standard poodles would be mistaken for anything else. Well except with the new "first dog" I won't be suprised if parti poodles get asked if they're PWDs.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
I am planning on putting Vinnie in a Lion Trim (like a PWD) next summer. His tail is not docked, so I expect I'll get the PWD question a lot.

I have quite a few people actually guess the Whippet correctly - that always surprises me. No one ever gets the IGs right.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts

Funny you should mention Chi's. My brother has a Chi that swear could be crossed with an IG. She has very long slender legs, a curved back, high tuck up and a really small slender head. She does have the Chi ears, though. She certainly doesn't look like a wellbred or even purebred IG, but I always wonder if she's pure Chi too. I know she didn't come from reputable breeder and they don't have her pedigree. I once had someone insist that my Maltese was really a white Shih Tzu. I get kind of tickled at people who say they don't like the looks of poodles. As if you are required to have them clipped a certain way. One of my favorite things about them is their coat is so versatile.

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
I have often been surprised when people stop me and ask if my dogs are poodles - since I shave them pretty close - but they seem to look like poodles lol I usually get told how gorgeous they both are.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts