Poodle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I feel like the sillier the trick, the more Annie enjoys it..

For Annie - her silliest is likely hug. I sit on the floor in front of the couch. She hops onto the couch, lays down with one front paw on each of my shoulders and her head on the top of my head, or eventually, also on top of one of my shoulders.

Close second is 'conga'. She jumps up and walks behind me with her front feet resting on the shelf of my butt as I walk forward.

Another good one is 'go get my socks!' (carry socks down stairs, hand them to me individually)

What are your poodles'/dogs' silliest tricks?

· Registered
4,432 Posts
We went to obedience class when she was young. We worked very hard. Practicing every day between classes. I am not new to training. As a kid I even taught our deaf schnauzer many hand signals. But Ms Misha, not so much. The only thing we really "accomplished" in obedience class was the command for "sit", only Misha put her own swing on it. When you give her the command, the wrong end goes down and she bows. Other than that, her only trick is "sneeze".

· Registered
Phoebe Duck, TKN. Frannie Jane pitt mix
756 Posts
We haven't taught Phoebe anything particularly silly, but Fritz the boxer learned "snaggle." He had an overly long tongue. Somehow we taught him to hang the tongue out the side of his mouth, and stick one of his lower canine teeth out over his upper lip. Combine that with raising a limp paw for shaking hands and he was the goofiest looking dog ever!

· Registered
1,146 Posts
I ask DayZ "can I have a kiss?" She lowers her snoot so I can give her a smooch 😘.
We do that one with Winnie and she is always more willing to 'kiss' my husband than she is me. He gets a big strong bop on the nose, I get a little bop that barely skims the end of my nose. So I ask her again and the next one is usually a bit better but still nowhere near what my husband gets.

· Registered
115 Posts
I don't know if it's just a coincidence or if it's actually a "trick" I've accidentally taught but I started asking her if I could pick her up before I did (cause she started getting weird about it, expecting to be fussed over) so I say "Cuddle?!" and sometimes she trots away, but other times she freezes in her tracks, sits really quickly and backs up, pushing her butt into my legs. I love it, it's so sweet.

· Premium Member
Elroy: Standard Poodle, Born 02/20/21
5,107 Posts
I don't know if it's just a coincidence or if it's actually a "trick" I've accidentally taught but I started asking her if I could pick her up before I did (cause she started getting weird about it, expecting to be fussed over) so I say "Cuddle?!" and sometimes she trots away, but other times she freezes in her tracks, sits really quickly and backs up, pushing her butt into my legs. I love it, it's so sweet.
You must capture this on video and share🥰! Sounds adorable!

· Registered
Aliana
132 Posts
Aliana has an automatic “sneer” when offered a treat, peeling her lips away from her teeth in front as if to say,”I guess I’ll take it” or “is that all?” It cracks me up every time.

· Registered
Phoebe Duck, TKN. Frannie Jane pitt mix
756 Posts
Aliana has an automatic “sneer” when offered a treat, peeling her lips away from her teeth in front as if to say,”I guess I’ll take it” or “is that all?” It cracks me up every time.
Frannie does this, then will gently take it from you, turn her head and discretely spit it out.

· Registered
1,339 Posts
Not a poodle, but I taught my Giant Schnauzer to go down into a play pose (head and front end down and back end up in the air) and then rear up and paw the air like a horse.
Water Tree Gesture Body of water Style

Another Giant taught me a silly trick. He taught me that when he came and started chewing on my feet (gently) he wanted to have a howling concert. It was great fun for both of us.

Zephyr taught me that when he is outside and rears up to look at me through the window it means I am supposed to get up and let him in.
Textile World Interior design Window Wood

· Registered
1,884 Posts
I’m not sure you would call this a silly trick but my poodle boys do a great “pound it.” It’s really just shake but more dramatic. It’s very impressive with kids. 😊. Joey loves “Peekaboo,” and is very good at it. I’m working on teaching him to sneeze on command. He’s starting to get it. Bobby does a great nose boop when I say, “Gimme a kiss.” Another super cute trick is I tell them, Poodles, sit.” Then I say, Poodles, Twirl,” and then they do a synchronized twirl.

· Premium Member
459 Posts
I captured tail wags with the clicker when he was little and now he does it reliably with a hand signal. We are currently still working on stick your tongue out. The signal is me sticking my tongue out. He does it reliably but it’s more of a lip lick. I’m not sure how to get it to the stage of a straight tongue sticking out. I think I will need to take the clicker out and do some shaping. I also would like to do paws up, head down, and peek a boo (paw swipe on the snoot). I heard that for peek a boo you can start by putting a piece of tape on the nose and when they paw at it you click and treat. I did that with regular scotch tape and he just stared at me with a WTH look 🧐. I think I may need to try with masking tape which isn’t see through? All this to say that these bag of tricks would be great for taking photographs. I saw a YouTube video of a dog photographer who taught her dog these tricks and it was just amazing. I will try and find the video and attach it here as an edit. Here it is! If there are any folks wanting to improve their dog photography game, I highly recommend checking out her channel.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts