Poodle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
you play with your poodles? I mean those made-up ones that aren't really planned or structured? I guess what I mean is, what's your favorite way to play with them?

For example, Liberty and Cosita will be all riled up chasing each other (and ok, me too), doing the playbow and leap thing (them, not me), and I'll run and hide around a corner. It instantly gets silent, and they both freeze. I creep toward them, then when I'm right around the corner, I'll jump out at them with a "gotcha!" or something like that. They both jump into the air like they've been goosed and start chasing me and each other again. Sometimes I'll chase them, and they'll hide around the corner, while I freeze. When they notice I'm not following them, they'll change directions and come towards me, leaping into a playbow with a big bark.

OK, did I really admit to doing this? I can't be the only one who gets silly with their dogs. . . so how do you all play???

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
lol, yup I do that one toooooooo!

I also play 'slap the poodle' where I slap gently, with each hand, on each side of her face. Paris half-opens her mouth so the skin is tight and it goes 'pop pop pop' as I 'slap' her face! hehe.

I also threaten to get her tail. When she's being silly and zoomies, I 'grab' at her butt [giving it a shove usually], she goes NUTS, growling and leaping around trying to 'grab' my wrist as much as I'm trying to 'grab' her tail.... This is her favourite game that I sue when I don't have a tug toy for rewarding while training. lol!

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
Rofl, I play 'slap the poodle face' too!

Normally the game we'll play is when I grab the ball and go RUNNING outside he'll get super excited and run with me, then I'll stop and throw my arms up in the air and he'll start bouncing all around me.

Also 'where's the bird' is one my dad taught him, where he'll start looking for a bird on the ground, see it, then chase it. I'll normally do it if he wants to be with me on the deck and I know he has to potty, but I don't feel like walking down, but if I can get him down he'll go potty.

Om.. I can't think of many atm!

Edit: oh yeah, I'll wave my hands in front of his face and he'll open his mouth and shake his head up and down, rofl

·
Registered
12,484 Posts
"I'm coming to GET you" played up the stairs. I have two quarter landings (one is in the avatar pic), so there are lots of places for Poppy to wait while I creep up one stair at a time. It culminates at the very top of the stairs with her bouncing up and down, me creeping slowly up "And I've GOT you" as she flings herself into my arms and Sophy play attacks her from the rear. They both love the tummy-tickle game, too, which is bit of a free-for-all romp on the floor.

·
Registered
6,611 Posts
Lol one of my newest ones with Millie is....I jump off the diving board...she watches me and gets ALL excited and BOUNCY. Runs to the edge of the pool, and steps (carefully) onto the raft as I hold it. Then I take her for a raft ride along the pool and drop her off at the steps. She goes CRAZY and I just keep repeating...and repeating.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
I love the "gonna getcha game". It's funny I've played it with most of our dogs, but Ziggy doesn't understand it and sometimes gets scared when I do it. I was living in England for the first year or so that my parents had her, so I think I missed her formative time to get her to understand how you play it! Darcy totally gets it and gets all riled up and takes off running when I do it, it's so funny. :)

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Hahah we play "slap the poodle face" too. He loves chasing our hands around and I lunge at him and grab at him, he jumps away, I crouch and then creep towards him, and he runs away and it turns into chase! Then when I catch him, it's right back to the "hands" game. ;)
Chase is surely his favorite, and we always wrestle and goof around.

"Kitchen" is one of his favorites too! A sure way to get him riled up. Our kitchen is like a hallway, and one side comes out near the living room, and the other side comes out by the dining room. Desmond slips and slides when running in the kitchen, so he normally doesn't. One of us humans goes to one of the kitchen doors, then DASHES to the other side. He follows us on the other side of the wall to meet us at the other door, but we only stay at the other door for a second, then run back, and he just LOVES it. He chases us back and forth and gets so riled up. It's adorable.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
We run around the house like crazies. The mid-level of the house is open rooms, and if you open the doors from the kitchen to the dining room, and the doord from the dining room to the living room, you can run circles and circles as the living room meets a hallway that opens to the kitchen. Confused yet? :)

We play chase, and more often than not, it ends up with me being chased. I love seeing how much problem solving the dogs can do while we're running around... short cuts, obsticles, etc.

Our MOST favorite game is hide and seek. I put TQ and Tate in a sit/stay (TheGrey just kinda hangs out with them, and has no mind of his own sometimes) and walk off then hide and tell them to come. OR, while we're being crazy and running around, I'll run off and hide. I love seeing who can find me first, and they usually hide with me until the others come!

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I love reading these! Interesting that so many of us play the same kinds of games. . . I do the "slap the poodle face" too, as well as gonna getcha coming up the stairs, and hide and seek. I hid in the tub once. That had to be my best hiding spot. It took them at least 2 minutes to find me! lol! Makes me wonder, since so many of us play the same games, literally all around the world, and none of us were taught them. . . . if they've really trained us to play them instead of us training them!

·
Registered
578 Posts
We always play the 'I'm gonna get your tail' game. It's too funny watching them scoot their butt under as they zoom by! With Jackson I also talk ewokian - I try to mimic that silly growly thing he does. I know he's trying to say something profound but just can't get it out.

·
Registered
123 Posts
LOL!! All I have to do is freeze as still as a statue, and Nikki goes nuts. It's really fun to just stay frozen for a couple of minutes. She starts out by doing the play bow and barking, graduates to jumping up with her tiny little paws on my calves, and then finishes by racing in circles around me with a toy in her mouth.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts