Poodle Forum banner
41 - 60 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
572 Posts
So as I am European I have an FCI poodle. Not only does FCI have 4 varieties rather than 3 but the size limitations are slightly different for the toys and miniatures compared to non-FCI countries who have only 3 varieties. I suppose that you can call Evra a miniature but I prefer to call her a dwarf, or a FCI dwarf to distinguish her from AKC miniatures. Dwarf is just the term used in a lot of germanic languages for miniatures.

Evra is around 7.5 months old and last time I measured she was roughly 30cm and 3kg. She probably won't get any taller but she will fill out some more. I would be very surprised if she goes over 5kg, I think she will probably be around 4kg.

She is perfectly in the middle for her variety but I think that if she were to be shown in the US she would be too big for the toy group and although she would be allowed to compete as a miniature. She probably wouldn't be very successful because she is so small. Am I correct in this assessment @Johanna ?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Name: Thomas
Breed: Toy Poodle
Height: Around 10-11 inches
Weight: 13 pounds
He was from a shady breeder so his proportions are all wrong. Still my number one little guy.

Name: Lucy
Breed: Standard Poodle
Height: 22-23 inches
Weight: 50 pounds
Now that's she's lost weight she has great proportions and looks like the breed standard. Looks a lot like her mother.

Name: Ethel
Height: Last I checked (and could get her to hold still) 26 inches
Weight: 60 pounds
Still growing. Vet guesses she will be 30 inches and 80-85 pounds. All legs and very muscular. Mother is HUGE and Father is also on the large side.

Name: Jeffrey
Height: Too wiggly however he looks to be half of Lucy's height
Weight: 35 pounds
Half brother to Lucy (same mom). So far his height and length seem to be in proportion. Still has puppy floof on his body so it's hard to see what's underneath. Vet guesses he will be 65 pounds which is in line with his father.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Interesting. The pattern I noticed was that under 14 or so inches, the minis and toys tend to weigh less in lbs than their height in inches. Around 15 inches, they start to weigh more than their height in inches, with lots of oversized minis around 15-16 inches but closer to 20 lbs. And most of the standards are close to double their inch height# in lbs.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Stella: standard, 3 years, 25", 49.5 lbs
Stella is a bit longer in her back, but has a leaner frame.
Lily: standard, 2.75 years, 25", 49.5 lbs
Lily is square, but has a slightly more stocky frame (though still an appropriate weight).

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
So as I am European I have an FCI poodle. Not only does FCI have 4 varieties rather than 3 but the size limitations are slightly different for the toys and miniatures compared to non-FCI countries who have only 3 varieties. I suppose that you can call Evra a miniature but I prefer to call her a dwarf, or a FCI dwarf to distinguish her from AKC miniatures. Dwarf is just the term used in a lot of germanic languages for miniatures.

Evra is around 7.5 months old and last time I measured she was roughly 30cm and 3kg. She probably won't get any taller but she will fill out some more. I would be very surprised if she goes over 5kg, I think she will probably be around 4kg.

She is perfectly in the middle for her variety but I think that if she were to be shown in the US she would be too big for the toy group and although she would be allowed to compete as a miniature. She probably wouldn't be very successful because she is so small. Am I correct in this assessment @Johanna ?
Yes, it would be difficult for an FCI dwarf to compete in the US. People who show toy and miniature poodles here tend to show ones that are just a bit under the maximum height. The allowable maximum size for AKC toys is 25.4 cm. AKC miniatures are 25.4 to 38.1 cm.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Late to the party!

Name: Jango
Height: 27.5"
Weight: 61 lbs
Type: Standard

Jango is actually from a frozen semen litter, by a dog born in the late 90s. I always wonder how many of his differences are a result of two individual dogs versus being by a dog bred in a different decade. Random thoughts.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Yes, it would be difficult for an FCI dwarf to compete in the US. People who show toy and miniature poodles here tend to show ones that are just a bit under the maximum height. The allowable maximum size for AKC toys is 25.4 cm. AKC miniatures are 25.4 to 38.1 cm.
Yeah I think that's why FCI has 4 sizes instead of 3. It is to give the dwarfs a fighting chance in the ring. At least the story that I heard was that it was because there were a lot of dogs who were too big for the toy group but got a little bit lost among the dogs now considered to be mediums but who were otherwise excellent examples of their breed. There is a lot of overlap between the toy and dwarf lines, breeding between the two still happens. Which I think is fine, they are extremely similar in structure, the gap between the variety is not the same as the gap between the AKC toys and miniatures.

I like the dwarf size, it's very convenient. Small enough to be carried comfortably, it is still a very small dog but just a little bit sturdier than the toy.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Name: Evie
Height: 25.5"
Weight: 38.2 lbs.
Variety: Standard.

Even though according to the vet she is a the proper weight most people are shocked by the fact that she is so light.

·
Registered
Roxy, Standard Poodle, 12yrs
5 Posts
The English and FCI standards are slightly different in regards to size, and FCI has a fourth size, called medium (moyen).

As best I can tell, Simon is 24" at ten and a half months, and he weighed 44.5 pounds yesterday afternoon. According to his breeder, his sire is 25" tall and weighs 52 pounds, and his dam is 27" tall and weighs 60 pounds.
We like big, robust Standards....our girl Roxy stands 26" and is 65 pounds. Her sire (Archie the Great of Topnotch) stood 30" and weighed in at 100 pounds

·
Registered
72 Posts
Name: Kallik
Height: 18"
Weight: approx 24 lbs
Variety: Standard / Moyen

I live in a very small house so I wanted a moyen. I hope he gets another inch or two taller though.

·
Registered
572 Posts
People tend to get surprised at how light Evra is once they get their hands on her. We went to the vet yesterday and she weighed 3.5kg. The vet was surprised at how light she is. Said that if she had guessed her weight by eye she would have guessed as high as 7kg. But she is just rather fluffy! she was freshly bathed and fluff dried :ROFLMAO:

Fluffy puppy!

I would describe her physique as roughly breed standard. I don't have the expertise to say whether she would place if she were to go in the ring but I don't think she would be laughed out. Perhaps a little bit too long in the leg but that might be the awkward age.

Definitely lighter than other dogs her height, as is typical for poodles. But she is not too delicate, not bird boned at all and very good muscle mass.

·
Premium Member
Elroy: Standard Poodle 02/20/21
2,821 Posts
Name: Lucy
Height: 22-23 inches

Name: Jeffrey
Height: Too wiggly however he looks to be half of Lucy's height
Weight: 35 pounds
Thanks for the efforts @Pavie! Well @EJStevenP based on Pavie's chart, I'm going to say your guess at Jeffrey's height is a little off, or he's a real porker!🤣

41 - 60 of 64 Posts