Poodle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question #1: What's the difference between an abstract and a mismark? Are they the same thing? Mercury has a very small white spot on his chest which is almost not noticable while Jupiter has a blaze on this chest as wide as my palm. Are they classified as the same kind of marking?

Question #2: I can't find a place on their AKC papers for anything other than solid coloring so assume the non standard colorings don't make it into the registration database/stud books so how do we know if the dogs on a pedigree are trully solid spoos without seeing them ourselves? I'm perhaps too curious for my own good, but how do we really know if a line is made up of all solids or if there were mismarks, partis etc mixed in?

·
Registered
486 Posts
I'll try it this way-
Colors

Description Type Code

Apricot S 002
Black S 007
Blue S 037
Brown S 061
Cafe Au Lait S 069
Cream S 076
Gray S 100
Red S 140
Silver S 176
Silver Beige S 183
White S 199
Black & Apricot A 246
Black & Brown A 009
Black & Cream A 010
Black & Gray A 012
Black & Red A 014
Black & Silver A 016
Black & Tan A 018
Black & White A 019
Blue & White A 045
Brown & Apricot A 247
Brown & White A 063
Cream & White A 077
Gray & White A 105
Red & Apricot A 157
Red & White A 146
White & Apricot A 200
White & Silver A 216

Markings

Description Type Code

Black Markings A 002
Black Mask A 004
Black Points A 019
White Markings A 014
White Mask A 015

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Teddy has a tiny white spot on his chest, but I registered him as apricot. I would think it would only matter if you were planning to breed or show.

·
Registered
861 Posts
That area is for the breeders to fill out.
Our AKC papers from the breeder did already have the color filled out. And, interestingly enough to me, it said 'brown' which is the color Bella was at the time we got her, though she was sold to us saying she would likely turn silver-beige. I don't care either way but thought it strange the papers said different than they told us.

How do people, then, register a 'blue' since it looks black as a puppy?

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
I think Dianne told me that you can change the color if you need too. We registered Grace as silver but she is somewhere between gray and maybe silver. We won't actually know what her permanent color is for maybe a couple of years when she completely clears. This is common in pooldes. Billy is till quite dark (born black of course) but has all of the signs of becoming a blue. So, we registered him as a blue. Complicated, hey? LOL

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Question #1: What's the difference between an abstract and a mismark? Are they the same thing? Mercury has a very small white spot on his chest which is almost not noticable while Jupiter has a blaze on this chest as wide as my palm. Are they classified as the same kind of marking?
An abstract and a mismark is the same thing. It just sounds better to me to say abstract. And, an abstract/mismark is not the same as a parti.. just to say this, I know you didn't ask. An abstract/mismark will can have white on its chest/toes/nose/forhead, but does not have white patches on the body itself.

There are definitely dogs registered as solids that are mismarks, I am sure for different reasons. Some is because they don't realize you can put on your papers that the dog is a mismark and it is basically solid colored so they do that (of course, those are people who are not very familiar with registering dogs), then there are those who don't want their dogs registered as being a mismark. I am sure there are dogs out there in "good" pedigrees of show dogs that are actually mismarks but registered as solid since they have only a small patch/spot and it is covered with dye before showing.

Dogsinstyle answered your other question excellently!

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you all, the papers were not filled out when I brought the boys home and don't have the different choices on them, only the solid color choices. Now I have the info I need though. I think I will register them as mismarks just so there will be a record of the line throwing them and because thats what they are, silver mismarks. Im so glad everyone on here is more educated than I am when it comes to this stuff. I had gotten the impression from a spoo site that the mismarks and abstracts are different because of their size, but the site also had info on it I knew to be wrong as well. Mismarks and abstracts being the same thing makes more sense, and abstract does sound better. Abstract makes them sound more artistic, lol. Thanks for the help, Sarah

1 - 10 of 10 Posts