Poodle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tried a fewm but they don't seem to get "deep" enough for a 2-3" coat, thanks!!

·
Registered
739 Posts
When you have that much coat you need to line brush the coat. To do that you will need a slicker brush or pin brush, and a steal comb. To line brush you split the fur no more than the middle joint of your thumb and brush just that section then continue that plan across the whole body. If you do not line brush you will not reach the roots of her fur.
Some other members here have videos and better advice on how to line brush.

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, thank you! I have been using a pin and slicker brush, but not "line brushing". I guess just not used to "poodle hair". Thanks for the advice!!!

·
Registered
533 Posts
For brushing my mini’s I do the same. My tools for my mini is a artero slicker or a small #1all systems slicker , Chris Christensen comb , and a brushing spray. If you like a bigger slicker you can go with a CC slicker. For a brushing spray I either use Crown royal #3 , or secret weapon from Whitman’s mixed with water. Here is how to do it.

What she doesn’t say in this video that she says in others ,is that you don’t ever brush your dog dry . Dry brushing causes static which causes mats and break hair. Mist, slicker , then comb.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
I have a "poodle comb" with a wooden handle from Amazon I use on Annie's topknot and tail. It was <$10, and I adore it. It has 2+" widely spaced teeth and makes brushing much faster, as i can actually reach the skin. I also have a longer toothed greyhound comb I use when her fur is shorter. I dont find the fine end of the greyhound comb useful. If she is well brushed enough to use it, then it already slides through without issue. I rarely use a slicker, but have a pin brush with longer teeth and no round balls that works well for blow drying. Something like this.... Amazon.com: Paw Brothers Poodle Comb: Pet Supplies

·
Registered
533 Posts
I have a "poodle comb" with a wooden handle from Amazon I use on Annie's topknot and tail. It was <$10, and I adore it. It has 2+" widely spaced teeth and makes brushing much faster, as i can actually reach the skin. I also have a longer toothed greyhound comb I use when her fur is shorter. I dont find the fine end of the greyhound comb useful. If she is well brushed enough to use it, then it already slides through without issue. I rarely use a slicker, but have a pin brush with longer teeth and no round balls that works well for blow drying. Something like this.... Amazon.com: Paw Brothers Poodle Comb: Pet Supplies
Many ways to get it done for sure 😊. I bought a pin brush but ended up hating it . I did try a cheaper comb off amazon when I lost my CC comb but teeth broke off so I ended up buying a 2nd cc omb ( this one though has different teeth spacing) . That’s when of course I found the one I lost 🤪. I usually fully dry then go back and mist and line brush once I’m done as it’s easier for me since one hand is holding the dryer.

I really like the cc comb two sides .I use smaller teeth for ears and for getting burrs out of the coat.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks so much! I'll look into all the suggestions to find the best for my precious pup!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts