Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(this is totally not related to poodles! lol)
I just love cooking and I'm always looking for new ideas for dinner... what are you having tonight at your house??

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Well I can make a suggestion(s)

I LOVE Pecan Crusted Chicken Salad - with POPPY seed dressing.

Boneless chicken breast are dipped in a brown sugar, pecan flour batter and fried or grilled. Slice them across for bite size strips.

Salad, can use whatever mixture (mixed greens/iceburg, romaine)
ADD - mandarin oranges, dried cranberries, red opinion slices, tomato & slivered almonds.

You can buy the poppyseed dressing at most grocery stores.

It is a pallet pleaser!! And easy to throw together. Under 30 minutes.

And now a days I love any balsamic dish lol - my boyfriend prepares fried potatoes like you normally would and does ablasamic, vinigar, sugar and bacon reduction dressing and mixes the tators in afterwards! YUM and it's not hard either.

Oh dinner tonight will be with a girlfriend and to follow will be a couple Long island Iced Teas. LOL :)

·
Registered
12,183 Posts
Tonight we are having roast beef, mashed potatoes, caulifower, corn and yorkshire pudding. But, I make a dish called Pronto Salad that most kids love.

One good sized head of lettuce chopped into pieces
one medium onion diced
2 larged tomatoes diced
one stick of medium cheddar grated
one pound of ground beef
one tin of kidney beans
one bottle of 1000 islands dressing
one bag of cheese Tostitos crushed

Cook the hamburger and drain well. Add kidney beans to hamburger in frying pan and cook until heated. Meanwhile make a salad with all other ingredients. Add hot hamburger and bean mixture. Mix and serve-PRONTO! This is like a taco in a bowl.

Doesn't keep well because the heat of the meat makes the lettuce wilt, but serves a family of about six big eaters and is delicious with crusty bread or rolls.

·
Registered
12,183 Posts

I LOVE Pecan Crusted Chicken Salad - with poopy seed dressing.

Boneless chicken breast are dipped in a brown sugar, pecan flour batter and fried or grilled. Slice them across for bite size strips.

Salad, can use whatever mixture (mixed greens/iceburg, romaine)
ADD - mandarin oranges, dried cranberries, red opinion slices, tomatoe & slivered almonds.

You can not buy the poppyseed dressing at most grocery stores.

And now a days I love any balsamic dish lol - my boyfriend prepares fried potatoes like you normally would and does ablasamic, vinigar, sugar and bacon reduction dressing and mixes the tators in afterwards! YUM and it's not hard either.

Oh dinner tonight will be with a girlfriend and to follow will be a couple Long island Iced Teas. LOL :)
YUMMY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I will have to try this someday soon!!!

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Awesome! Some great ideas!! thanks!! keep 'em coming! I think this could be a great regular thread!!
I am so going to try the pecan chicken salad this week!! I love poppy seed dressing and the pecan breading on the chicken is something I've never tried making before! sounds very yummy!!!

Tonight for our family (since everyone's running if different directions it seems) I ended up taking some home made burgers out of the freezer and throwing them on the BBQ, made a quick tossed salad, opened a bag of ripple chips with onion dip and everyone's happy! I have obedience classes with Rogan at 7 so time is of the essence tonight.

here's a yummy recipe that I love to share if anyone's interested:
Mennonite girls can cook: Mexican Potato Casserole

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
I only eat fish (no meat), but actually decided to try being vegan for Lent. So I 've had 4 weeks of no animal products with another 2 to go. I kind of miss cheese the most...

Anyway, tonight I'm having veggie meatballs in tomato sauce on wholewheat spaghetti, with a side salad. My favourite dish when I'm not vegan though is Sesame Salmon. You preheat the oven to about 375 and take a piece of salmon and brush it with a mixture of olive oil, maple syrup and mustard. Just make it up to taste. Then sprinkle sesame seeds over top (so they make a crust) - you can either toast the sesame seeds, or just put them on as they are. Bake about 10 to 15 minutes, or until the salmon is an opaque pink colour - don't over cook it! Serve it up with a coriander ginger sauce on the side, which is either yogurt or sour cream mixed up with fresh ginger and chopped coriander. It's so great with new potatoes and green beans, or whatever else you like on the side.

We have this all the time, and it's a great meal for just a regular night or a dinner party because it's delicious and looks like a lot more work than it is. Since I stopped eating meat, it's my mom's favourite special occasion thing to make. I think she'd kill me if I stopped eating salmon for good...

Oh and here's my fave online recipe. So easy, but sooo good! I cook it for less time than it says, and have made some of the substitutions mentioned in the comments below. :) Spanish Moroccan Fish - All Recipes

·
Registered
681 Posts
I'm going to a night class all this week, so we're doing easy meals

Tonight- BLTs
Tomorrow - Spaghetti
Thursday - Ceasar Salad with grilled chicken breasts.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
with poopy seed dressing
LOL!!! Sounds yummy!! :fish: :D

We are cheating and having Portillos beef sandwiches (famous diner and beef in Chicago) that we brought home (bought the meat and juice and will cook it ourselves). Have bought fresh yummy buns to toast, cheese, and will saute (sp?) peppers and onions to put on top. Yummy!

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
YUMMY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I will have to try this someday soon!!!
I can add the actual recipe it's tasty and you CAN buy the poppyseed dressing lol in most stores. Oh and I gave up on trying to fix my spelling tonight. After a few drinks I might make it worse lol.

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
Going to classes at night. Had Burger King salad with crunchy chicken...sigh....not the best thing for me. When I am cooking at home, I love to go to allrecipes.com for inspiration. I have never had a meal that I made from their recipes that I didn't like.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This is awesome!! I'm in the process of making my menu plan/shopping list for next week all with ideas on here!!! My family is not gonna know what hit them!! :) So many great ideas!

btw - I love allrecipes.com too!!

·
Registered
875 Posts
I was sick today, so I heated canned chicken noodle soup and then made some french fries LOL. My husband doesnt really eat, and I eat alot of fast food (no sense in cooking for one usually) If I do "cook" I usually just make those frozen one skillet meal things, or some ramen, or a sandwich.
wow seeing it written down actually makes it look sad :(

When I do cook real food, my favorite things are :
*Potato soup (takes about an hour to complete)
*spinach salad topped with slivered almonds and chicken tenders with a raspberry vinegrette(sp)
*my absolute favorite are easy stuffed porkchops.

for this you need: thick cut porkchops butterflied
cinnamon(ground)
chicken flavored stuffing mix prepared according directions

season porkchops to taste (a sprinkle a little cinnamon on mine) then stuff with , well, stuffing. put in a 350degree oven for 30-45 minutes :)

I also usually make a gravy, mashed red potatoes with the skins on, and peas
om nom nom nom

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
tonight we're having whole wheat spaghetti with home made meat sauce, and caesar salad :) no garlic bread, trying to cut back on carbs these days!! lol

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
I am having shrimp fried rice from china town

....It's been along day and boy I can tell the dog missed me.......I just tried to nod off for just a second and constant noses on me lol, oh the misery of dogs, LOL - Kidding.:):)

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Pecan crusted chicken salad updated

I LOVE Pecan Crusted Chicken Salad - with POPPY seed dressing.

Boneless chicken breast ABOUT 4 medium sized.

Brown Sugar 1/2 cup poor onto a plate
Flour 1/cup. Place onto plate with higher sides (for drudging chicken)
Pecans - 1/2 cup OR SO - Season to your liking.THE PECANS SHOULD BE SLIVERED FINE OR IN SMALLER PIECES and added into flour mix.

Coat chicken with brown sugar first then into flour and pecan mix then into a non still skillet with 3 tbsp of oil, brown on both sides and done.

Salad, can use whatever mixture (mixed greens/iceberg, romaine)
ADD - mandarin oranges, dried cranberries, red opinion slices, tomato & slivered almonds.

You can buy the poppyseed dressing at most grocery stores.

/QUOTE]

·
Registered
440 Posts
I usually make something really yummy for dinner at home- but the bf and I have had a rough week in our relationship so we took our gift certificate and went out to eat at a new restaurant in Chicago (La Méditerranée)dinner was fabulous! we had:

Duck l’Orange
Orange glazed duck breast served with five grains rice and seasonal vegetables.

Lamb Ossobucco
Braised lamb shank served with mushrooms risotto and a thyme demi glace.

I've attached pictures of our dinner- including a salad we shared, yum!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
I'm a vegetarian, so my suggestions won't involve any meat!! lol

My favourite dish at the moment it a type of Cannelloni (or lasagne) it doesn't really have a name...

Anyway

You get:
about 250g of Ricotta cheese
about 250g of cream cheese
an egg (preferably free range lol)
2 tspn of nutmeg
1 tbsp of garlic paste (or however much)
some really nice pasta sauce
lots of grated cheese
and about 700g (or so) of really finely chopped spinach (even silverbeet)
lasagne sheets or cannelloni tubes

You mix the ricotta and cottage cheese together, and add the egg, nutmeg and garlic past until you have an even consistency.
Add the spinach, the amount really depends of the runniness of the mixture, you do not want it too runny, just creamy

Now, you can either put the mixture as you do in Lasagne..

or stuff the mixture into the cannelloni tubes (takes forever...lol)
make sure you only do one layer of the tubes though...

Pour the pasta sauce over the pasta in the oven proof dish, and add a little bit of water so the pasta goes soft. Then add as much cheese (tasty cheese is the best) over it (lots) and then bake in the oven at 180 degrees celsius, for about 25-30 minutes

It is sooo soo nice.
We tend to steam cook some soft white rice, and then have the pasta over that because the mixture is quite creamy, and goes really well with it.

And you can make it with the Low fat Ricotta and Cream cheese if you want, it doesn't really make too much of a difference!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts