Poodle Forum banner

41 - 60 of 67 Posts

Registered
We watched The Royal Opera House perform Turando on YouTube of all places.
The aria Nessun Dorma is in this opera. (For those of you without the patience, scroll to 1:28.08) There are a whole lot of operas on YouTube and on Amazon Prime, it turns out. Probably enough to keep me going until the Lyric Opera of Chicago reopens. And honestly, eating snacks, while heckling the decisions the characters made like we were the old guys in the Muppet Show, was absolutely delightful. "Don't fall in love with Turandot! What is the matter with you?"
I'm so glad I read this post and found this. We used to watch YouTube operas on TV a few years ago when we first got a chrome cast.....but then it broke. I just bought a new Chrome cast and I had completely forgot about the operas on YouTube. We were supposed to have Norma this year - and that was sadly cancelled - it's one of DH's favorite. I have to watch this Turandot. We're getting very used to watching stuff on our couch - putting things on hold for a bathroom or snack break. Nothing like having a poodle draped across your lap while you are entertained. Can't get that in a theatre.

I'm also watching The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel - what a joy to find. I'm late to this show, but OMG it's so funny and such high quality. I've had Amazon Prime for years and never bothered to check out their entertainment until now. I'm so impressed.

Now I'm off to watch my favorite aria from my favorite opera - Diana Damrau as the Queen of the NIght aria in The Magic Flute by Mozart - the Royal Opera.

Reactions: Click-N-Treat

Premium Member
Skylar,

That was lovely. Thanks for sharing. I love that opera. We were watching Mozart this weekend, too. We got the Metropolitan Opera app for our streaming devices. Here's a handy link. Learn More About Met Opera on Demand Well worth it! We watched Le nozze di Figaro on Sunday. If you get that app, look up the 2014 performance. They set it in the 1930's with fantastic costumes and a gorgeous set. And of course, it was hilarious.

If you just want to rent this performance of The Marriage of Figaro, here you go! MOoD Detail Page

Can't recommend it enough. I laughed until my sides hurt. So did my husband.

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter #48
I began watching Netflix's "Hollywood" and it is really good. It's entertaining, but also tackles big issues like race, gay gender orientation, sexism, and women who "aged out" in Hollywood, and does this in a way that's not preachy. A lot of films pay little attention to older women in movies, but this one does a bang up job of giving them their own story line and respect which is exciting and refreshing.

It also successfully tackles the extreme difficulty of remaining true to yourself no matter what your background, sexual orientation, or wealth and the dilemmas of exploitation. It's loosely based on a true story with the actor Rock Hudson. It's one season, and I'm on Episode 6 of 7. Highly recommend.

Registered
I'm so glad I read this post and found this. We used to watch YouTube operas on TV a few years ago when we first got a chrome cast.....but then it broke. I just bought a new Chrome cast and I had completely forgot about the operas on YouTube. We were supposed to have Norma this year - and that was sadly cancelled - it's one of DH's favorite. I have to watch this Turandot. We're getting very used to watching stuff on our couch - putting things on hold for a bathroom or snack break. Nothing like having a poodle draped across your lap while you are entertained. Can't get that in a theatre.

I'm also watching The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel - what a joy to find. I'm late to this show, but OMG it's so funny and such high quality. I've had Amazon Prime for years and never bothered to check out their entertainment until now. I'm so impressed.

Now I'm off to watch my favorite aria from my favorite opera - Diana Damrau as the Queen of the NIght aria in The Magic Flute by Mozart - the Royal Opera.

When you said 'my favorite aria' I thought of the exact same thing. The last opera that we saw was the Magic Flute. I also go for Papageno.

Have you tried Mozart in the Jungle on Prime? The soundtracks are really good.

Registered
The Great British Baking Shows are eye candy for me. I yearned for their oven that has a door that lowers and slides back under the oven. Until one panicked baker grabbed too hard and pulled hers off. She had to sit and hold the oven door in place until her bake finished. I yearn no more!

Registered
I absolutely had to watch 'The Gods Must be Crazy' once again to be able to be distracted from our crazy world, and think from the point of view of another culture.

Premium Member
Crazy times, indeed. I think that's why I am vanishing into operas right now. Drama and intensity, art and beauty, are healing to me. Nothing about life right now makes any sense at all. I need art. It's my refuge and safe place.

Registered
grey's is my all time fave. the resident is good if you liked greys ( I think its on hulu)
Netflix ones I liked were:
legacies
Riverdale
I watched tiger king but I wasn't a fan. I felt both "zoos

Registered
hit post too soon.
in tiger king I felt both parties were in the business for the wrong reason and I felt neither of them truly cared for the animals over the "fame" of it.
dynasty is another one I liked.

Registered
I was confused about what you meant by greys... So I did a little search. Which did you mean?

Grey's Anatomy series is on Netflix now in the US.

Gray's Anatomy is an 80-minute concert film directed by Steven Soderbergh in 1996. It is not on Netflix in the US now.

Registered
I started watching Tiger King on Netflix, and man oh man, it's just crazy! I can see why it's trending #1 on Netflix this week. You keep expecting that sanity and normalcy will step in, but it just gets nuttier - and it's a real story with the real people who truly live on the fringe, filmed over a period 5+ years.
I watched with my mouth agape. Crazy!

Registered
My husband is a big fan of Kim's Convenience, which is currently airing in Canada on CBC. (Past seasons are available on American Netflix).

He's American but I consider him an honourary Canadian just based on how much he adores CBC programming. More than most Canadians, to be honest. 馃槀 He actually did a whole series of Kim's Convenience fan art, which got so much attention he was hired by the show's producers to create some more.
I love Kim鈥檚 Convenience! Ready for next season. 鈾

41 - 60 of 67 Posts