Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was wondering if you could share a description of a typical day in the life of your poodle?

I have an 8 month, 8 lb miniature boy & I'm curious to hear from others about the life of their poodle, puppies and adults. I'm overwhelmed by textbook info.

·
Registered
8,202 Posts
Fun idea :) Okay, let's see...here's an average day, approximate times given for my 3 and 2 year old spoos:

7:00 am - Maizie scratches on crate to be let out; let all dogs out and get back in bed with all three

7:00 - 8:00 am - Go on computer, get my coffee, get ready for dog park

8:00 to 9:30 am - Maizie medicated; dog park: all free play/retrieving unless we are training for a show in which case Frosty gets about 15 min of schooling at the end

9:30 to 10:30 am - Rest time

10:30 am - Feed dogs breakfast; I get ready for school

12:00 - 12:30 pm - Outside time/make sure all dogs potty

12:30 pm - I leave for school; dogs are kept inside in living room/kitchen/den with YouTube relaxing music for dogs playing

3:00 pm - My dad comes home and feeds the poodles lunch

4:00 pm - I get home; after the initial excitement, I have to rest a bit

5:00 - 6:30 pm - Dogs outdoor free play/retrieving/lure games, etc.

6:30 pm - Everybody in, more relaxing time for them while I do school work

8:00 pm - Feed dogs dinner

8:30 pm - Maizie medicated and put in crate, other dogs on bed; the end of the day!

·
Registered
6,728 Posts
Zooeysmom, why is Maizie taking medication ? Did I miss something ?

My dogs are both toys, 1 1/2 and almost 5. They get up around 8. Then they go outside, come back in and have medication (Merlin) and breakfast.

During summertime, we go in the backyard together about 4-5 times a day, weather permitting. I don’t work so I am home with them. I can’t walk them regularly because of a medical condition, so I lounge outside with them while they run around like maniacs and just enjoy laying in the grass. Beckie likes playing with water so I get the hose for her during the day.

We often have a flirt pole session, it’s both dogs favorite.

They have lunch at 12 pm. Chicken strips.

They usually nap part of the morning. In the afternoon we form a pile of dogs/human and sleep on the couch.

They eat dinner at 5, and they have something to chew on around 6:30-7 pm.

They go to bed at 9 pm.

And they are both a pain in the neck for me to follow routine. If I try to skip one part, they sit in front of me, sigh and pace until I get up and do what comes next.

They also insist that I respect their bed time. Funny dogs !

·
Premium Member
15,810 Posts
My Molly, thank goodness, is very low key...... She has her own schedule though, and I try very hard to stick with it LOL!
I am retired and also disabled and unfortunately I have many nights I find it difficult to get to sleep, so Molly is a bit of a night owl with me!

Our day doesn't start until 9:30am when Molly wakes me up with soft barks to tell me she wants her breakfast! (no need to go outside cuz she has a potty pad in the bathroom for those late night/early morning pees!)
About 10 or 10:30am she gets a good brushing of her coat AND her teeth with lots of ear rubs and tummy scritches and maybe a massage.
I then open my door to the patio, attach Molly's 30 ft longline, and let her out if she wants to go out and hunt any gophers that might have taken up residence.... (I live in an Apt, so no fenced yard)
Most of her day is spent napping either on 'her chair' or on her cot on the patio.
Throughout the day, if she is not napping, we play fetch, refresh training, have long conversations, give belly rubs, chew on a bully stick, wash her face if it needs it, and attend to any grooming needs that come up.
At 5:00 'her clock' reminds me it is time to canvass the neighborhood ..........this probably the most animated part of her day and we scooter around for about an hour or sometimes longer, depending on if any of her friends are out, and her human wants to socialize a bit......
Then we come home and have dinner and cuddle while we digest! Our day doesn't always end there though.... being night owls we still have plenty of time for more play, or a game of 'Find It' until Molly & I retreat to her (my) bed and call it a night.:sleep::sleep::sleep:

·
Registered
8,202 Posts
Dechi, my dogs are jealous yours get to chew on something in the evenings :D When Frosty reached 2, I stopped giving them daily and now they're only special treats.

Maizie is on meds for an autoimmune disease she has called neurogenic keratoconjunctivitis sicca (also known as parasympathetic nose). Basically, she doesn't produce tears on the left side of her face. She gets Pilocarpine drops in a pill pocket and cream on her nose.

·
Registered
12,361 Posts
Poppy is now 9, and weighs around 9.5 pounds. I am retired, so am gloriously untrammelled by clocks and timetables, but the dogs do like their routine. Our typical day is:

Wake some time around 7-7.30am, up and out for pees and poos.
Breakfast and a snooze beside me for the dogs, while I have coffee, read the paper online, etc
Up to the bathroom with me while I bathe, and clean everyone's teeth, then out in the car for a quick off leash walk by the river - usually about 1/2 a mile but may be longer depending on plans for the day
Home for a biscuit for the dogs and more coffee for me, and they wait more or less patiently for the next big event...
A "proper" walk, late morning or early afternoon, somewhere interesting where they can be off leash for several miles. We are fortunate in being reasonably close to a number of easy walks by rivers and the estuary and through woods and fields, and our nearest park is extremely dog friendly (they even allow dogs in the cafe and give away poo bags and dog biscuits!).
Home again, when they snooze for a while. We may fit in another walk, or just a wander round the shared grounds, depending on the weather and what else I have to do.
6pm is supper time (although it seems to have slipped back considerably under pressure from Sophy...). Sophy likes to go out immediately afterwards to run around a bit, so Poppy comes too.
Evenings are snoozy times, especially for Poppy. Final trip out is usually between 8 and 9pm, and then they get Tooth Treats - a dental chew or similar.
9.30-10pm bedtime. Poppy always waits on the first quarter landing on the stairs, and we have a snuggle and talk over all the nice things that have happened today. Then the dogs dash up to bed, and are already curled up by the time I get there. Poppy cuddles with me under the duvet for a while, then slips out again if she is too hot. She feels the cold, though, so will often slip back in on chilly nights.

Brushing, nail clipping, grooming, etc, etc happen, but are not really part of our daily routine - more something done at need. Training is mostly a matter of reinforcing good manners these days - I ask for Sit and Flat and Wait as needed through the day, and one reason for having treats when we get back from walks is to reinforce taking turns and sharing with the cats. Poppy is not much interested in toys and games, but Sophy likes to play in the evenings if the day's walks have not been enough to tire her out. Poppy gets extra cuddles instead, as that is what she prefers!

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
zooeysmom:
I sincerely appreciate your feedback.

I am struggling to provide a 'happy environment' for Rocky my pup. He is really toy, not so much treat, driven. As soon as he sits and stares at me, unless it's to ask to go outside to potty (I live in an apt), I know he's asking to play. And he does not play alone, except for maybe 10 sec.

My life literally revolves around giving him attention and playing with him.

Granted I have made him like this to a certain extent. He's not crate trained. He's only left alone at home for about 2 hours about 3 days a week. When I work, I drop him off at dog sitters ( I have a list of primary and backup sitters so he gets a diverse exposure to men, women, children, babies, dogs, cats). On my days off, I still drop him off at dog sitters for part of the day for socialization because I live alone (my dog has a better social life than me).

Unless he is tired and sleepy, he constantly wants my attention. He's a lap dog, a snuggle bug, but he's also very hyper and playful. So even if I sit at the computer to do something, if he wants to play I stop what I'm doing to play with him.

It's to the point of me considering getting a playmate for him to keep him busy. Even on my days off of work, I play and walk with him and drop him off at a sitter for socialization but he constantly wants my attention. I literally neglect getting things done because I'm engaged with Rocky.

He's been to puppy obedience class. I plan on taking him to more obedience classes, do agility training, scent work, etc.

I just want to get into a daily routine where he's not dictating my schedule because of his constant need for attention and play/ interaction. I try to play and tire him out. I guess I need to be more disciplined and do more mind games with him/ more structured play.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
What a fun question!

6:30 or 7 am Time to get up. Cammie is on my bed snuggled right next to me, Sam is sometimes on my bed, sometimes on one of the dog beds in the bedroom. I shower while dogs stay in bed.

7:30 Walk for about a mile. This is my exercise time. (But for winter, this walk is about to switch to mid-morning, not early am.)

Most of the day: I work from home, so on the computer most of the day. They let me know when the mail lady is coming and other important things like dogs walking past the house. Other than that, they sleep most of the day. Occasional trips to the back yard. Dogs have free access to kibble.

5 PM. Gathering of dogs and their people at the park. We walk 2 blocks to the park. Starting around 4 or 4:30, Sam starts sitting in front of me and staring. This is his favorite time of the day, and he wants to make sure I don't forget about it. Sam is my ball dog. At the park, he chooses different people to throw the ball for them, and drops it in front of them. He'll always choose a child if one is available. Very cute. Cammie is the meeter and greeter. She is totally delighted when her friends (canine and human) arrive at the park and goes flying over to them, and then back to me with a big smile on her face. But she is a little suspicious when strangers try to join our group.

Dinner is either after we go to the park or before. When Bob was still alive it was always before the park. Bob would bark at me to demand his dinner and dinner kept getting earlier and earlier because I always wanted to give Bob everything he wanted. Sam and Cammie don't care as much. Even though I make a home-cooked dinner for them, they are snoozing as I prepare it and I have to call them to come and get it. So different from Bob!

10 PM. I call them and tell them to go outside. Sam grabs his ball and wants me to throw it for him. Cammie slinks around like it is either too dark or too wet for her. Often there is no bathroom activity at all. :-(

1 or 2 AM (occasionally, fortunately not every night) One of them decides they need to go to the bathroom. Cammie wakes me up by licking my feet. Or Sam wakes me up by standing on the bed with his front paws on my back. We go downstairs and both of them go running out very purposefully and go to the bathroom. (Why don't they do that at 10 PM?) Then back upstairs where for some reason Cammie feels entitled to a belly rub.

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dechi:
And they are both a pain in the neck for me to follow routine. If I try to skip one part, they sit in front of me, sigh and pace until I get up and do what comes next.
I've heard dogs prefer a schedule... your dogs are absolute proof.

Unfortunately my schedule is so haphazard, the only schedule my pup is able to stick to is his bedtime, most of the time.

Regardless of where he is he likes to go to sleep by about 8pm. With my schedule it may not be until 10 pm that we get home and he's able to crash.

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
MollyMuiMa:
About 10 or 10:30am she gets a good brushing of her coat AND her teeth with lots of ear rubs and tummy scritches and maybe a massage.
I brush Rocky's teeth too. And he's a real sucker for belly rubs.

·
Premium Member
22,972 Posts
We tend not to be up super early so first time out in the yard is usually between 8 and 9 AM. When they come in I give them breakfast. We do a little kitchen type training, mostly impulse control and attention games. I usually let them back out in the yard for a morning round of poodle wrestle mania type play.

On days where I work Javelin gets his harness on and we go to campus. Before I leave the house I give Lily and Peeves one more time out and then also a buffalo ear or other good chew treats.

Javelin comes to all of my classes with me and when we are in the halls we work on his attention training (he likes to flirt with people). When I have down time in my office we work on his tasks (taking/picking things up and bringing them to me and a stand steady so I can put my hand on his withers if I need any balance type help).

Some of my work days are short, others are long. On long days Javelin gets his dinner at work before my evening class. On short days we go home and I let the older dogs back out in the yard.

On Fridays after everyone has breakfast the poodles and I go to my obedience club. We do some of our own training and then they serve as greeters while I teach my regular classes. I use each of them at various times as demonstrators for the novice trainers. When we get home we are all generally sort of tired so we often take a nice nap in the recliner and I have two giant lap dogs covering me.

On my long work days BF feeds Lily and Peeves and the three of them hang out together. I think they generally snuggle up. On my short work days I usually do some sort of training by turns with all of the dogs and we play in the yard.

When it is finally time for bed everyone goes out in the yard one last time.

On weekends we roll with the flow of the day if we are home, but there are also many weekends where one or both poodles and I go out for training matches, trials or seminars.

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
zooeysmom:
When Frosty reached 2, I stopped giving them daily and now they're only special treats.
I'm curious why you stopped giving Frosty a daily chew? Did you mean a dental chew or a bullystick?

I give Rocky a bullystick almost every day. I only give a dental chew sporadically because I fear he's swallowing them.

I do try to brush his teeth daily - well, I put the brush in his mouth...not sure how well I'm able to brush his teeth and hold his squirming body down (but he's getting used to it gradually).

·
Registered
586 Posts
Milo is quite easy going, but generally this is his daily schedule. We took him on vacation with us before and didnt have issues and he kinda melds with our schedule. He is 1.5 years old.

7am - 10am - wake up, potty,breakfast, walk (though its usually a very relaxed sniff and stroll, sometimes i play fetch,sometimes training recall).

10am-11.30am- nap till my daughter gets in the door and plays with him, on nice days, he gets to go out again with her.

12-2pm- he just plays on his own while we eat lunch. He goes out to potty. I do short burst of training and games while i am still home. He naps around 1.30pm.

2-3.30- he naps and is left uncrated in the house. He doesn’t do anything except naps or he is at the window watching the world go by. My kids get back from school and plays with him again. They feed him dinner at around 5.30

5.30pm onwards- when my husband shuttles the kids to their activities, milo goes with him for a car ride and some days my husband brings him for a short hike.

I come home from work, gives him a bully stick. He is usually cuddled next to me while i watch tv in the evening with the family. I go to bed between 10-11pm and he knows my routine very well. When i brush my teeth, he is waiting next to my bed. He gets another cuddle in our bed and then my husband will move him to his crate though last night we were lazy so milo slept at the foot of the bed. lol.

·
Registered
8,202 Posts
zooeysmom:

I know he's asking to play. And he does not play alone, except for maybe 10 sec.

Granted I have made him like this to a certain extent. He's not crate trained.

Unless he is tired and sleepy, he constantly wants my attention.

I just want to get into a daily routine where he's not dictating my schedule because of his constant need for attention and play/ interaction.
I see what your problem is: LACK OF CRATE! I neglected to include in my dogs' daily schedule that Frosty still gets crated for at least an hour a day when he's feeling too frisky and can't settle. I had to do this with Maizie when she was younger as well. It will save your sanity, trust you me. Your pup needs to nap when he's getting all demanding and hyper. He is overtired, like a young child--they get wild when they really need rest/sleep.

zooeysmom:

I'm curious why you stopped giving Frosty a daily chew? Did you mean a dental chew or a bullystick?

Bully stick or cow ear, it just got too expensive. I was spending thousands a year on chews! They still LOVE them, they're just more infrequent ;)

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
zooeysmon:
I see what your problem is: LACK OF CRATE! I neglected to include in my dogs' daily schedule that Frosty still gets crated for at least an hour a day when he's feeling too frisky and can't settle. I had to do this with Maizie when she was younger as well. It will save your sanity, trust you me.
I've had Rocky for 5 months. Five months of him dictating most of my spare time and causing me to spend money to have someone babysit him for me while I get stuff done (because I don't want to ignore him) ....I've lost my sanity already!

I've firmly objected to crating, unable to bear hearing him bark and whine, believing it was cruel - although I've been told by dog trainers, obedience class instructors, and read so many books promoting crating.

One book by the Monks of New Skete clearly promotes crating. Yes, I know monks, of all people, wouldn't do anything cruel, but they haven't met MY baby and heard him vehemently object to being in the crate!

But you've spelled it out for me...and I have to be honest...I've lost my sanity.

I will diligently commit to teaching him to be crated.

I sincerely thank you.

·
Registered
8,202 Posts
Frosty is having one of his crate rests as I type!

I found this video, which is interesting. My puppies came to be with crate training started, so they were pretty easy to deal with after the first few nights, but I found this video about dogs who bark while crated that may be helpful (even if you train for crating during the day vs. night):

·
Registered
12,361 Posts
I did not crate my dogs in the house, but I did teach them Settle and impulse control, and have a phrase - Busy, Busy, Boring - which means I have stuff to do and need to be left alone. Place comfortable beds in the rooms you sit in, stock the freezer with suitable stuffed kongs, and stop letting your pup run your life!

Reactions: Mfmst and SMSP

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
fjm:
I did teach them Settle and impulse control, and have a phrase - Busy, Busy, Boring - which means I have stuff to do and need to be left alone. Place comfortable beds in the rooms you sit in, stock the freezer with suitable stuffed kongs, and stop letting your pup run your life!
I appreciate the tips. Rocky does have a bed beside my home desk. He's not treat driven - I have a kong.

I feel guilty that he's alone and I'm seriously considering a second poodle pup or a kitten so he can have a playmate.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I have a 5 month old puppy. Our days are a little odd as I work in the city and my husband is with her in the day. But our weekends kind of go like this:

6AM she's woofing to go out, this is fine as my 6 year old is also up so we three rise

6-8:00 I take her out, feed her, play with her inside

8-9 ish she goes in her pen for a chill out

9-11 she's out with us playing and puppying

Noon she eats, back in the crate or pen for a bit

so on and so on. I take her out every 2 hours for her business. She gets a thin bully stick a day for an hour of peace lol. We walk up the street for 15-20 mins a time. I take her in the car when I can. She also likes to PLAY and when she's not playing is in mischief so that's why she has a few pen times a day. She goes to bed at 8:39/9:00.

She definitely demands attention but the last few weeks I've been doing less with her in terms of playing all the time and it's helping our sanity!

1 - 20 of 49 Posts