Poodle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.
I seem to be having an issue with owning a poodle and I was wondering what y'all's advice would be regarding it.
Here is how the problem plays out. Me and Evie are going for a walk and random cars will stop open their windows and either ask me about Evie or tell me about how cute she is. The problem is that I do not like talking to random people who come up behind me and scare me. Do you guys now of any way to limit this?

Thank you all.

·
Registered
6,925 Posts
Tough one. What if you keep walking away as they slow down, as if you didn’t notice ? Or stop and cross the street ?

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wish I could just cross the street or just keep on walking. But the problem is they keep pace with me and stay in a position that mAkes it unsafe to cross the street. Thank you for your suggestions.

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
I'm afraid I can't suggest anything as it is hard to correct a person's actions before they do it. I lived downtown Houston and the dogs would almost cause accidents. I would laugh most times. One time a group of Asian tourists started following us taking pictures like we were movie starts. And I know they have Standards in Asia so I don't know what the excitement was. You might try a Julius K-9 vest. They have Velcro on each side and you can order something like "Don't Approach" to put on it. They will do a custom patch for whatever you want to say. Here is the link. Power Harness

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
If you carry a phone with you, pull it out as if you got a message and act as if you're dialing or replying, while keeping your gaze in their general direction but not pointedly. And keep moving, carefully, of course.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all for your help!
Rose I never thought about that. I will try it next time.
opera lol getting followed by tourists just to take photos of your poodles.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I had a friend in university who hated acknowledging people and would walk with headphones in (not on) to pretend she didn't hear. It worked well.

I also found with Annie I get far more attention when she is clipped nicely... Miami and HCC were the worst for that. But even with a simple kennel cut she gets tourist attention when I walk her.

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
I don't stop, I just kinda say ah thanks and keep walking and I don't have to worry about anyone approaching, I say don't he is very protective of me and if I tighten the leash any at all he will bark at them, and that kind of stops it. I only walk in neighborhood so I tend to run into the same people though lately people are coming out of the woodwork, LOL

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you all for the help! It is greatly appreciated. I will try your guys suggestions.

·
Registered
307 Posts
My Irish Setter would stop traffic. So did my standard poodle. Or, maybe it was because of my great looks. No, it was the dogs.

If it bothers you, turn and walk the other way. This works with cars, not so much with pedestrians. Right now, people should be keeping social distance, so try holding your arm out in a "halt" position and ask people to stay back. Jog away from them.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Hi all.
I seem to be having an issue with owning a poodle and I was wondering what y'all's advice would be regarding it.
Here is how the problem plays out. Me and Evie are going for a walk and random cars will stop open their windows and either ask me about Evie or tell me about how cute she is. The problem is that I do not like talking to random people who come up behind me and scare me. Do you guys now of any way to limit this?

Thank you all.
We live in a small village in the British Columbia interior, a place where you would never encounter a stranger on the sidewalk or in the grocery store and not say hello. Our big standard poodle stops traffic all of the time, and is frequently photographed. However, your comfort level is all that matters in this situation. If you don't want to stop and chat with strangers, you are not obligated. Would you feel comfortable with a quick wave and speedily walking on to send the message that you have someplace else to get to?

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,400 Posts
I pretend I'm talking to someone on my phone. That tends to make people back off. You can wave, acknowledge their presence, and then pay attention to your phone. "Uh-huh. Yeah. Really?" If that's not working, try saying, "He got arrested?" Then make the angriest face you can. Whoever was about to ask you questions about your dog will leave. Fast.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts