Poodle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would you do?

I have an elderly 17 yo Ragdoll cat who is in good health for her age. She’s always wanted to be an only pet. We used to have 3 other Ragdolls and a tpoo and she kept her distance from them, mostly hissing at them if they came close. She barely tolerates Babykins although sometimes the two will be lying next to each other touching. Babykins gets along great with other cats, the problem is this cat. This cat is very attached to me, having to knead my chest multiple times a day.

Here’s the problem: we’re having our wood floors refinished and must be out of the house for almost two weeks. I have two options.

1 - We can board her at the vet where she goes every year for her annual exam.

2 - we can take her to my daughter’s house where DH, Babykins and I will be going. It’s a 5.5 hour drive. My daughter has a very belligerent indoor male cat that has to be kept separate from her other cat as he has viciously attacked her. Belligerent cat is mostly locked in finished basement and has run of house when they are home. Her other cat lives in the master bedroom behind a shut door. If we take our cat with us she will need to be kept in an upstairs bathroom or perhaps the bedroom we sleep in. She most definitely cannot get free of the locked space because belligerent cat will attack her.

What would you do? I welcome all comments.

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
Well either choice seems a good option but considering her age and any possibility of her getting out of the "locked " zone would probably have me lean toward the vet. Plus 5.5 hours is a long trip back and forth. But you know your cat, my cats hate to travel even a short distance to the vet.

·
Registered
12,212 Posts
If you can be sure of keeping her contained at you daughter's house I would take her with you, but only if you can be sure - that means two doors and very careful door control (an en suite bathroom where you can leave her would be ideal, with a "Loose cat - do not enter!" sign to hang on the bedroom door when you are with her). She will probably be made anxious by the sound and smell of the other cats, but at least you will be able to reassure her, and make sure she is eating, etc. If it is not possible to provide that level of security I would board her, in the most relaxed and comfortable cattery I could find - that may be at your vets, or may be another provider.

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
On some days, I feel like I am a cat person. I love cats! Lucky and my cats have a love hate relationship. It is just Lucky and no one else because poodles have a high prey drive. None of the other dogs mess with the cats. Spunky and Lucky have a love-hate relationship. One moment they are playing and the next, the game is over and it is ears back.

Our two cats don't get along because one is always cleaning the other. The cleaning often becomes a cat fight. Our pug will break it up very quickly. Our cats are in opposite side of the home and they will do rotations.

If you can, take your 17-year-old cat with you but maybe keep her contained to one part of the home with the diffuser? My neighbors say wonderful things about her diffuser. Perhaps it can help during your kitty's stay. Also, familiar scents like the cat bed would would also help the transition. Our cat Spunky sleeps in the dog bed so if this was me, I would bring the dog bed haha.

·
Premium Member
22,864 Posts
I also vote for board at the vet. It will be easier on you not to worry about closing doors and she won't have the stress of being worried over the other cat. Since she is older if she needs anything medically she will be in the right place.

·
Registered
7,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I appreciate everyone's response. I am leaning towards boarding at the vet because if anything happens, she's at the vet.

I just don't know how she would handle that long car ride. Years ago with different cats we had a 10 hour car ride from hell when those three cats screamed the whole way even though I purposely drove through the night and had the kids in the car with me to keep the cats settled - and these cats had been on many car rides to prepare them.

If I do take her, I'll take her favorite bed, igloo litter box and food.

·
Premium Member
15,810 Posts
I'm in with the boarding idea! Not only will she be safe but you also might not have to put up with the 'mean' cat spraying.......something that could happen if he smelled her intruding in his kingdom! Don't think your daughter would like that! LOL!

·
Registered
7,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm in with the boarding idea! Not only will she be safe but you also might not have to put up with the 'mean' cat spraying.......something that could happen if he smelled her intruding in his kingdom! Don't think your daughter would like that! LOL!
Oh no. I’m so glad you posted this, I didn’t know he could react like that.

·
Premium Member
3,304 Posts
I would board the cat. It's safer for everyone involved. I've boarded pets at the vet and found it was the best solution. Also, if they get sick, they're already at the vet which was a huge relief to me.

·
Registered
7,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I would board the cat. It's safer for everyone involved. I've boarded pets at the vet and found it was the best solution. Also, if they get sick, they're already at the vet which was a huge relief to me.
It is safer - and being an elderly cat, if she is not handling it well, I presume they can prescribe a sedative or something to help her.

I should mention that belligerent cat is really in many ways a wonderful gigantic Ragdoll cat. He's very friendly with people and gets along well with Babykins and my daughter's dog. He also got along with her other two cats who have since passed on. It's just this one elderly scared cat who "runs" to get away from him and in running sets off his prey drive. I'm sure my cat will also run. My daughter's other two cats never ran from him and he ignored them.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts