Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Peggy is overdue for her monthly grooming, and our beloved groomer is injured and had to cancel at the last minute. She has no idea when she'll be back to work, but says she might be able to do Peggy's face, feet, and sanitary in a couple of weeks.

Alternatively, we can book with her co-worker.

Would you gamble on someone different when your poodle absolutely LOVES her groomer? I mean, Peggy cannot wait to get inside the place. Zero stress. Comes out happy. I've never seen anything like it.

Then again, if it works out, it would be nice not having all our grooming eggs in one basket.

Oh I am so torn!

·
Registered
646 Posts
Oh, no! I don't go to a groomer anymore, but honestly, if it were me, I'd try and take the gamble if I was worried about the lack of grooming being an issue. But first would lay out specific instructions for the other groomer for the best chance for things to go smoothly. I'll bet they've even seen Peggy before, if the groomers work together often.

Alternatively, you could do as Dechi said and maintain her yourself until your normal groomer gets back into action. Hair does grow back. :)

·
Super Moderator
5,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hum, that’s how I started grooming my own dogs. My groomer was far away and often not available. Get your own gear ! :)
I've got my own gear and groomed Gracie for most of her last few years, but I'm truly terrible at it. Lol. I also have a joint condition that makes it extremely hard on my body.

·
Super Moderator
5,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh, no! I don't go to a groomer anymore, but honestly, if it were me, I'd try and take the gamble if I was worried about the lack of grooming being an issue. But first would lay out specific instructions for the other groomer for the best chance for things to go smoothly. I'll bet they've even seen Peggy before, if the groomers work together often.

Alternatively, you could do as Dechi said and maintain her yourself until your normal groomer gets back into action. Hair does grow back. :)
She's definitely seen Peggy. And my groomer even said she could be there for moral support. She just can't stand for extended periods. Hmmmmm. Maybe best to take a chance.

Peggy's coat is still growing back from my clumsy covid clips, the poor girl. She looked like she got weed whacked.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
I think you made the right choice. When you drop her off, I'd just make it abundantly clear that if she's acting more distressed than normal you will be fine with them taking breaks or deciding she should wait for her normal groomer. Groomers are often overly worried about customers being disappointed and they will feel better knowing you're fine with them making that call.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I think it's good you are trying the other groomer.
I would maybe request just the necessities be done (like fft) so that Peggy is more likely to have a good experience. Or that the groomer start with something Peggy is normally most comfortable with, to make sure she does not get stressed.

·
Super Moderator
5,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think it's good you are trying the other groomer.
I would maybe request just the necessities be done (like fft) so that Peggy is more likely to have a good experience. Or that the groomer start with something Peggy is normally most comfortable with, to make sure she does not get stressed.
I think that's what I'll do.

If her usual groomer is there supervising, I'm sure Peggy will be fine. That woman is the true Dog Whisperer! Or at least the Peggy Whisperer.

·
Super Moderator
1,655 Posts
I'm glad you have the option to take Peggy to the same facility. Even though a different groomer will be working on her, she knows the drill. She's already familiar with the noise of these exact dryers, the smell of these exact shampoos, the feel of these exact mats underfoot, and so forth.

·
Super Moderator
5,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm glad you have the option to take Peggy to the same facility. Even though a different groomer will be working on her, she knows the drill. She's already familiar with the noise of these exact dryers, the smell of these exact shampoos, the feel of these exact mats underfoot, and so forth.
Very good point. It's really the next best thing to having our beloved groomer work on her.

·
Super Moderator
5,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, today's appointment was smoked out by the wildfires. Visibility is getting worse and it's not safe to travel.

No idea when we'll be able to book again, so.....time to do some home grooming! I'm sorry, Peggy. Please forgive me for what I'm about to do.

·
Premium Member
4,195 Posts
I am a terrible groomer, so don't worry - my biggest challenge is to Just Get the Hair Off. I also do tiny bits in one day, To give you my grooming schedule:
Day one - front legs
Day 2: hind legs
Day 3 - break
Day 4 - face
Day 5 - start on body
Day 6 -body
Day 7 break
Day 8 tail
Day 9 start feet
Day 10 feet
DY 11 - feet
Day 12 Start finishing
Day 13 Finishing
Day 14 Finishing
Day 15 Finishing.

Day 16 Finish and start the cycle again.

For all my Get the Hair Off - use 7 Skiptooth
For finishing -use 7 F
For his dreadlocks - separate,cords everyday conditioner as they tend to dry.
I am sure Ms Peggy does better than this.

·
Super Moderator
5,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I am a terrible groomer, so don't worry - my biggest challenge is to Just Get the Hair Off. I also do tiny bits in one day, To give you my grooming schedule:
Day one - front legs
Day 2: hind legs
Day 3 - break
Day 4 - face
Day 5 - start on body
Day 6 -body
Day 7 break
Day 8 tail
Day 9 start feet
Day 10 feet
DY 11 - feet
Day 12 Start finishing
Day 13 Finishing
Day 14 Finishing
Day 15 Finishing.

Day 16 Finish and start the cycle again.

For all my Get the Hair Off - use 7 Skiptooth
For finishing -use 7 F
For his dreadlocks - separate,cords everyday conditioner as they tend to dry.
I am sure Ms Peggy does better than this.
Peggy's pretty good, but this is a great schedule for me. Thank you! I can really only do about 5 minutes at a time before my body begs for mercy.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts