Poodle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It looks like our new puppy will be ready to come home earlier than I’d anticipated. Great news but now I have a dilemma. The pups will be ready the first week of August. My kids will be visiting grandparents the first two weeks of August and I am working during the day.

Option 1 is take breeder up on her offer to hold pup for an additional two weeks. Option 2 is to hire a very responsible young lady I know to be home during the day and take puppy out during the week.

What would you do?

·
Registered
7,399 Posts
It depends on how old the puppy will be and what would the conditions be at the breeder’s if the puppy stays there.

If the puppy is to be left in a pen most of the day or the breeder has no time to socialize, I would not want to lose that window because it doesn’t last long and 2 weeks is a long time in a puppy’s life.

I would bring the puppy home and find a dog walker that would take him out maybe twice a day while you’re at work. Try to stay as close as possible to what your routine will be when you’re home. You can give less (within reason), but not more, or else the puppy will risk having separation anxiety when the real routine sets in and he doesn’t get as much attention.

·
Premium Member
6,852 Posts
I will mention it depends on the size of the pup and just a note things can go astray like my 18 week old pup getting a UTI the week after I brought him home. Stuff happens,

·
Premium Member
3,701 Posts
How old will your puppy be by then?

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
For me it would depend on the size poodle you are getting and the age the puppy will be. I'd probably opt to have the breeder (reputable breeder) hold on to it for the two weeks. especially if it will still have its litter mates about and that the breeder is already beginning socialization of the puppy. For me personally the 1st two weeks of having a new puppy (8 weeks) is the most difficult as that is when it is already learning my house rules. I immediately have it on s schedule for eating and going outside to potty and it will spend a lot of time in its crate (in-between cuddle time of course). but it learns that crying and yapping will not get it out of crate for play. I probably take it out every hour the first few days until I see its potty schedule and we work on adding time. Anyway those are just my thoughts .

·
Premium Member
3,701 Posts
The longer I think on this, the more I lean toward leaving puppy with the breeder for that time, if you're confident that the pup will be treated as Dechi mentioned, like a family member, and preferably with at least the pup's mom still there. Hopefully, the breeder will continue with socialization til you can get the pup home.

My concern lies not with whether the young lady is responsible, but with her puppy experience. Even the best behaved puppy will try the patience of most people to the point of questioning their sanity (I joke. A bit.). If she has raised any puppies successfully, then that would make her a good option. I think tho that I'd still be unsure about putting someone else in charge half the day of a pup that I don't even know yet.

It's really a tough call, but if it were my puppy. I'd try to decide based on what will be the most comfortable for the puppy. Leaving the only home they know to go to their new home is a big adjustment for them to begin with, then to have people changing on them again, it just seems like a lot to ask. Maybe the suggestion of leaving the pup one additional week is a good compromise.

I don't suppose that the breeder is local? That could offer a great compromise, if they're willing to keep the pup during the day.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Option 1- I say this because 8 weeks is the minimum age a puppy can leave its mum but between 8-12 weeks is normal. 10 weeks is pretty good, some toys stay with their mum till they are 12 weeks.

·
Registered
597 Posts
I would also agree with leave it at the breeder. So much can be learned in those early weeks that offers live long benefits. How to deal with other dogs - I imagine the breeder has a full house of dogs at all ages. If there are still siblings left that would be a wonderful opportunity to get a head start on bite inhibition. Arriving in an empty house could be really rough on the pup - plus it would most like bond with the person taking care of it. That last point is something I have learned not to underestimate with poodles who are such people dogs. Leave it at the breeders and get it when the whole house is ready.

·
Premium Member
3,701 Posts
I think one of our members mother's mpoo came from Eriand. Our member always speaks of them highly.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts