Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve searched the boards but couldn’t find an answer to this and have given up! I’m setting up an expen with crate in the kitchen (Dunbar style) with a little potty for times my husband has conference calls and can’t watch her or take her out of the crate in time. It will be on hard wood though and I’d like something between the wood and her crate/potty patch. Any suggestions? I though maybe some oilcloth? I could put blankets on top as I don’t want her chewing plastic not meant for that purpose.

I feel like I have other wuestioyas she comes home In a week!!! But I’m searching the heck outta the board ?

·
Registered
7,086 Posts
I’m not sure how late an area you are looking for, but we have a large thick folding gym mat which is waterproof and may be less likely to be chewed than plastic.

·
Premium Member
22,858 Posts
I would tape heavy duty plastic like a paint drop cloth to the floor and put old blankets on top of that if anything. Remember that puppies will do all kinds of mischief so simpler is better.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would tape heavy duty plastic like a paint drop cloth to the floor and put old blankets on top of that if anything. Remember that puppies will do all kinds of mischief so simpler is better.
Thanks Lily I was thinking something similar, or a plastic tarp. I really wish I could find a piece of lenoleum or something. I wonder how much that may cost at home depot

·
Registered
912 Posts
Thanks Lily I was thinking something similar, or a plastic tarp. I really wish I could find a piece of lenoleum or something. I wonder how much that may cost at home depot
If there’s a flooring store nearby, they should have remnants for sale at an inexpensive price. I needed some flooring for 5 steps to the basement landing, and scored a 12’x8’ remnant for $30. It was way larger than needed and I gave the excess to ReStore. It could be that home improvement stores will also have remnants.

·
Super Moderator
3,003 Posts
Wood floors? Cage on floors? I'd put something breathable under it, like cotton-type throw rug without a plastic or rubber backing, an old blanket which can laundered, or a straw mat like this for $3.32. You might even want to use the matt with a old blanket on type: the blanket will absorb any spill, but won't seep thru to the matt.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I had an x-pen on a hard wood floor and used a linoleum remnant under it. My x-pen was 5 x 5 and what each of my puppies stayed in rather than a crate when we were at work because we work long hours and I didn't want a puppy crated for that long, even in a big crate, and unable to fully stretch out and move around while they were growing. Even though I had a dog walker in 2x daily up until they were about 9 months old when I cut it to once a day. We built a wood frame the x-pen could fit into and placed it inside that on top of the linoleum.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wood floors? Cage on floors? I'd put something breathable under it, like cotton-type throw rug without a plastic or rubber backing, an old blanket which can laundered, or a straw mat like this for $3.32. You might even want to use the matt with a old blanket on type: the blanket will absorb any spill, but won't seep thru to the matt.
Vita I ended up getting two beach matts and will use towels, blankets over!

·
Registered
6,498 Posts
I wouldn’t put towels and blankets over it because your puppy will learn that they’re okay to pee on. Then he might have accidents on your beds or towels on the floor in summer or in the bathroom.

Use something he won’t be in contact with in your house or other places you might go to with him. Newspaper is good.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I wouldn’t put towels and blankets over it because your puppy will learn that they’re okay to pee on. Then he might have accidents on your beds or towels on the floor in summer or in the bathroom.

Use something he won’t be in contact with in your house or other places you might go to with him. Newspaper is good.
Oh yes very good point!!!!!! I’ll use newspaper or just see how she takes to the mat until I can find a Lino remnant

·
Premium Member
22,858 Posts
That looks like a great set up, but yeas after thinking about it and reading other people's ideas a remnant piece of linoleum or similar sounds good.

·
Registered
6,498 Posts
This is where we ended up until we find the Lino or vynl that’s contractor paper over the beach mat! My husband said “I am so excited and we still have a week!!!!” I mean yeah pal I’ve done everything for this pup already get ready when she comes!!!
It looks very good ! I’ve never heard of contractor paper. Is this material absorbent or will urine just float on top ? If so that won’t be pleasant...

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
This is where we ended up until we find the Lino or vynl that’s contractor paper over the beach mat! My husband said “I am so excited and we still have a week!!!!” I mean yeah pal I’ve done everything for this pup already get ready when she comes!!!
It looks very good ! I’ve never heard of contractor paper. Is this material absorbent or will urine just float on top ? If so that won’t be pleasant...
Lol you know good point! It asorbs but is thick....I think I’ll be sending my husband for a remnant this week. ??

·
Registered
599 Posts
Home Depot sells a roll of linoleum (about 6x8 as I recall; maybe larger). It can be hard to find, and Lowe's doesn't carry it (or didn't used to). The roll is lighter weight than the big stuff, but sturdy enough for the job. I've used it twice for litters of puppies, along with remnants.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts