Poodle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys!

so unfortunately we have no way of saying hi to our puppy before picking him up.
Anything in particular we should look at for in a standard poodle pup? Both good and bad?

thank you!

·
Premium Member
23,232 Posts
Look for general attributes of good health (bright clear eyes, general liveliness), also evidence of good husbandry (cleanliness of pup and environment) and a nice temperament in the making (curiosity, interest in meeting and being handled by you, nice interactions with litter mates if they are still around when you pick up). I wish you a safe trip and fun with your pup.

Reactions: Vee

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Look for general attributes of good health (bright clear eyes, general liveliness), also evidence of good husbandry (cleanliness of pup and environment) and a nice temperament in the making (curiosity, interest in meeting and being handled by you, nice interactions with litter mates if they are still around when you pick up). I wish you a safe trip and fun with your pup.
Thank you!

·
Super Moderator
5,313 Posts
Definitely meet the dam and sire, if you can! I want to know they're clean, healthy, well-loved and well-socialized. And make sure all your family members are there with you, if possible.

In a puppy I look for one who's curious, but not overly bold. But I imagine the breeder has already made the best pick for your household?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We’ll get to meet the mama but It’ll be us and not our three kids as the pup needs no be picked up 7 hours away👀 And she has already picked one for us-the last brown boy pup. We’ve seen him on videos and he is definitely not the most active one in the litter😜

·
Super Moderator
5,313 Posts
We’ll get to meet the mama but It’ll be us and not our three kids as the pup needs no be picked up 7 hours away👀 And she has already picked one for us-the last brown boy pup. We’ve seen him on videos and he is definitely not the most active one in the litter😜
So exciting! Peggy snoozed pretty much the whole way home in my lap—a 5-hour drive! By the end it got dark and she started getting a little spooked. I wish I'd thought to put her in a covered crate at that point to reduce the stimuli a bit.

Can't wait to see photos of your new little boy. :)

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
So exciting! Post pictures when you get the pup.

I too held Gracie on the way home, she crawled up on my shoulder and perched ther, snoozing and gazing out the window. Here`s a pic of her snoozing on my shoulder.
04AF6064-E62A-4839-91B9-1BF37BB83269.jpeg
I brought a small soft crate to put her in for safety but the breeder was adamant that I hold her on the way home to help with bonding. So, I guess you balance safety with the benefit of that first bonding experience. Gracie has never had any carsickness and rides in the car like a dream. May not be related, but making that first big trip a positive experience probably is important.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts