Poodle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So as everyone pretty much know's I love dogs and love showing dogs. However, Im really torn. I have tried for the last week now to put my love for Poodles on the back burner and try to get back into my Amstaffs. Yes I do love both breeds but Standard Poodles really fullfill what I want in a dog but for me to show them its another story. (the grooming before show's etc)

With me having the show bug Im very torn. I wish sometimes I didn't have the competitive personality that want's to show. Ive been trying to talk myself into agility....however I really want to produce beautiful, healthy, sound, conformationally correct AKC Standard Poodles one day. I just can't justify breeding non show dogs. My husband stands behind me on whatever I choose but he's honestly tired of hearing me contemplate about which breed. The only reason I would get back into Amstaffs is because I have great opportunity to become what my goal is in dogs and I do love them as well. However, I wish I could do Poodle's even more.

I really want to compete with a breed I love (and totally believe in) and be able to eventually breed quality dogs and be successful at it. I love dogs...they are my only hobbie...my only interest other then my family. I really wanted Mikey to become my opportunity into Poodles which he would of been but he was very shy of unfamiliar people which is a fault in the show ring. He was also getting more anxiety around my husband and then my son during the last few weeks. Thats why I considered the family I did...all girls....he loves women. He is doing great with them now which makes me happy.

Anyhow...what does everyone think about my delimma? I would like to hear opinions from the outside. Possible hearing your opinions would help me look at this from another aspect.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Do you really have the time that is required for a show poodle? I am thinking if you don't really then you will be as disappointed with a poodle which isn't quite up to scratch when you get to the ring as possibly your second choice (Amstaff's.)

As you said you are competitive and want to show and breed the best but my understanding is that a poodle in show coat especially a standard is an enormous amount of work, not just on the day but the constant wrapping, banding, brushing and bathing is quite some time commitment.

If you honestly think you can dedicate the time, I don't know your family situation or how much spare time you have on any given day, then I say go for it. Get yourself another standard and give it your best shot. Only you can know in your heart of hearts if this is possible.

I believe that if you want something bad enough you can make it happen. I work full time, run a small boaridng kennel and grooming salon and still maintain my pup in full coat (although not a show coat). It is quite taxing somedays when you get home and finish everything that needs to be done only to then have to bath, clip and dry your furry friend. I am lucky in that I don't have kids and my OH will make tea or do some cleaning up while I am playing with dogs.

Anyway probably not much help :smile:

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your correct about the time issue for sure. Yes, Im a stay at home mom and two kids are very time consuming. I really wanted to make the Standard Poodle showing a go but just thinking about show morning's (minimum 2 hrs grooming prior to show) and my obligations to my family seem impossible.

I think I actually answered my own questions reading back my thread. lol Standard Poodles are a wonderful breed but the life style I want to live with my dogs make up the ultimate decision..... is it practical or not. Im my case it's not practical.

Thanks Blue Fox for your input. I do appreciate your comments and taking the time to help me think my decision out.

·
Registered
912 Posts
I wish I lived closer to my breeder and a large city cause I would love to have a go at the show scene with a standard. Unfortunately we're just too far from anywhere to make a go fo it, travelling 5 hours one way to attend a show is too much for me, plus I wouldn't have a mentor close handy and just don't think I have the grooming skills to make a decent go of it.

That's the price I pay for living in the sticks I suppose!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts