Poodle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Beau is getting a little bit agressive with others. He isn't so much with me. He doesn't offer to bite anyone. He justs barks at them. He bares his teeth at them. Does anyone know what I mean? I can put my hands in his mouth with no problem if he has something in it that shouldn't be there. But I daresay no one else can. I am not talking about an object that you can play tug a war with. I am talking about something that he has taking to eat. He lets me put my fingers in there and never offers to bite me. He knows I am the boss. What do I do about the agression? Is this comon with this kind of dog? My mom's poodle is that way. I can do anything I want with him so I don't consider him that agressive. My mom's poodle rules the roost there. If anyone has any suggestions. I would be so thankful. Debby

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
If I can do this right

I am going to try to upload some pictures of Beau. I would guess that he weighs between 8-10 pounds. He is very lean though. He is so beautiful. Well here goes. Debby

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
My mini dachshund, Juliet, is very possessive when it comes to food, treats, toys if another DOG is around... Any human could take what she has and she will not put up a fight, but if another dog (or sometimes the unsuspecting cats) gets close to her when she has something she considers "hers" she will seemingly become aggressive. In my example, I don't believe Juliet is actually being aggressive because she won't leave her treat/toy and go after the other dog, but she'll hover over her "thing" and growl, snap, yelp; to get the interloper away from her.

If she shows these possessive signs, I calmly walk over to her and "claim" her object. Once she give it up (NEVER a fight with momma!) I take it away and put it up. If she can't have it and be nice, she doesn't get to have it!! Usually, if I'm in the room when she's chewing on something and another dog approaches, she'll stiffen up and look at me out of the corner of her eye (like she's saying, "Uh oh, there's mom... if I growl, she'll take it away!") and then she settles back down.

I'm lucky that Juliet only feels possessive around the other animals and she never argues with the humans in the house - but I'd like it if she'd give up the "MINE" attitude altogether - it's not necessary.

Sorry - long story for the short answer of making sure a dog knows that if he/she gets aggressively possessive over something, the pack leader will come and take it. Also making sure any other human in your home who tries to take something from Beau stays calm and doesn't "snatch" at what they're trying to retrieve. Sometimes, just walking up to the dog and eventually standing on the item the dog is guarding, while having an attitude of justice and "alpha-ness" will make the dog give it up...

Hopefully others will have good ideas and suggestions for you - I'll leave you with the statement that if Beau is actually, truly getting agressive over possessions, it may be necessary for you to find a professional to assist you with that - A possessive dog may be an aggressive dog - and an aggressive dog is a dangerous dog!! Stay safe and be careful!

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
It's not a common problem with the poodle breed; it's a problem with toy dogs in general.

I wish I had a better answer, but like Plumcrazy said, it's all just a matter of letting them know who's boss. Easier said than done for some of us--I'm starting to have similar problems with Teddy, especially when he's found a piece of food on the sidewalk. I've discovered that most of the time, if I pick him up and kind of tilt his face forward just a bit, he will eventually try to shift it in his mouth and drop it. I know that's not the best way, but until I can figure out how to program him, it's the only way that works.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
My Beau is getting a little bit agressive with others. He isn't so much with me. He doesn't offer to bite anyone. He justs barks at them. He bares his teeth at them. Does anyone know what I mean? I can put my hands in his mouth with no problem if he has something in it that shouldn't be there. But I daresay no one else can. I am not talking about an object that you can play tug a war with. I am talking about something that he has taking to eat. He lets me put my fingers in there and never offers to bite me. He knows I am the boss. What do I do about the agression? Is this comon with this kind of dog? My mom's poodle is that way. I can do anything I want with him so I don't consider him that agressive. My mom's poodle rules the roost there. If anyone has any suggestions. I would be so thankful. Debby
It is completely inappropriate for him to bark and bare his teeth at other people either in public or in your home. These are NOT good pet manners and he is being a bully. Is he nasty all the time or is it just when he has something he does not want to give up?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts