Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what to do?

Am i fighting a losing battle to get my puppy to sleep downstairs when every morning I get up and he is on the cold tiles outside the bedroom door?

Do i give in and move his bed up there?

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Sounds like he wants to be close to you.

You may lose the battle your puppy is not crated or secured in an area and protected from getting into anything. If a puppy is not content they get into things eventually. :)

I would never say give up. If sleeping downstairs is what you want to achieve I would start with the set up for a comfy place if you haven't already.

Why downstairs versus upstairs? If he is OK in the hall maybe lay is bed there, if thats OK. He may just like the floor, Olie will sleep on our kitchen and foyer area versus his bed or carpet sometimes. But he is also crated so all dogs go up at night.

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
Dogs have a pack mentality... especially puppies who have lived with a litter since the day they were born...

As others have said, if you crate your puppy where YOU want him to sleep, he'll have no choice and he will get used to it. If you want to make the most natural environment for him, you'd find a place for him to sleep near his pack. From the day Lucy came home, her crate was set up right beside my bed. She's comfortable there and knows that we're nearby, and she's protected from getting into anything while we sleep. Eventually, my dogs all sleep in bed with me, but that won't happen until we're confident that she won't get into trouble while we're sleeping.

Our scenario won't work for everyone - some people just don't want their dogs in the bedroom, so that's when a crate will help with the training process. Once it becomes clear to the dog where his "place" is, that's where he'll stay...

Good luck!!

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
My dogs (all 3) sleep in our bedroom with us. My female spoo sleeps in her open crate on the floor, my Havanese used to be crated with closed door until he was 100% reliable. Now his door is open and he can choose to sleep in his crate or with us. My male spoo, while crate trained, hates it with a passion and he prefers to sleep with my hubby and I on our king sized bed. :) Dogs are pack animals and enjoy companionship. The upside to it is that they sleep in really late, as they don't feel the need to "get to us" in the mornings. On weekends, if we sleep in till 9 or gasp, 10, so will they.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think my hubby will go spare if I let him sleep in the bedroom let alone the bed!

But I think I am going to set up his bed outside the bedroom and see if he prefers it there (the dog of course and not my husband).

There is nowhere downstairs that I can block off and I can't even close the stairs off, so i think I'll print off all your replies and tell the hubby when he gets in from work that Twix sleeps in the upstairs hall or our bed, it'll be an easy arguement when I put it like that :)

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
I'd personally divorce a man who wouldn't let my pets sleep in the bed.

Actually, I did that, although that wasn't the main reason I did it.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
I have my own issues with letting pets in your bed but that's another topic. Ask your husband if he's in his crate (assuming he has one) would it be okay to put him in your bedroom? See my bedroom is has the least amount of traffic so I put the crate in my room by my side of the bed, when I was training the puppy, and when he had nap time, that's where he went.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Crate train him and then its not bad to have his sleep in your room in a crate....that way your still boss but he still learns to be independant yet he's still close to you.
I made sure Mister was fully crate trained but now he just sleeps on my bed with me every night along with my senior mutt....its a good thing i have a queen sized bed lol.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
unfortunatley I can't find a crate. I live in a remote place, with only very limited supplies.

Anyway tried last night with him out on the hall and he settled really quickly and went back to bed after my hubby had woken him on his way to work. So I am happy with how that went for the first night of trying it.

Don't get me wrong I was fully aware of the responsibility of getting a dog but I never expected to have quite so many questions. I just want to do best by him, so I am off onto amazon.com to look for a book that might help.

Thanks to everyone on the forum that takes the time to answer and advise, it really is much appreciated.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Hope you will find a good book - there are many great books about dog training : )) ! You can teach your Spoo anything - they are extremely smart and usually eager to please.

Dogs are same as kids LOL - if you do not teach them to sleep alone - they never will do it by themselves ; ) !

Just one thing - my spoo really preferred hard and cold surface to sleep on ! He had a whole kitchen/dinning room for himself and he always choose to sleep on the tile part of the floor - never on the carpet or rugs. Sometimes he would even go to sleep by the door that led to outside so he will get some "draft" LOL. We were always scared that he will catch a cold or something and tried to make all kind of "nests" for him, but he just wouldn't have it and than we just let him sleep where he liked in that area :) !!!

I also prefer having dog sleep in his crate or in his own place LOL - but we are all different.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
I also would be concerned with the puppy going up and down stairs. It can affect their growth plates.

Could you make an improvised crate, just something that kept the puppy confined to a specific area?
Also, if the puppy is leaving a mess every night, this can fix the problem as they will learn to hold on and go outside.

What about having a crate sent to you? We got ours sent from a city far away for only NZD $20, NZD $80 for the crate itself, and that was a large one.
That was USD $14 shipping USD $57 for a really huge crate. I don't know what prices are like over there though.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
By the way - what size of the crate is the best for a spoo ??? Large or X-Large ???

Nice crates here cost 120 -160 $$ (at least in Petco , CA). BUT, I am sure that much better bargains could be found on the net !!!!

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
By the way - what size of the crate is the best for a spoo ??? Large or X-Large ???

Nice crates here cost 120 -160 $$ (at least in Petco , CA). BUT, I am sure that much better bargains could be found on the net !!!!
I'm not familiar enough with sizes too say anything. But is the dog can turn around in it relatively easy, and is able to lie down comfortably without hitting the edge. Our crate for a Dobermann, which is bigger than a spoo
is 800mm High x 710mm Wide x 1070mm Long
(cannot be bothered converting to inchs)

Also, so they aren't crouching, it is better if they can stand up completely, but doesn't matter too much if their head can't be up completely, but their back must not touch the top.

·
Registered
578 Posts
I fully understand the husband/dog thing. When we got our first dog (a puppy someone dumped on our rural doorstep), he started out being an outside dog. After a few months, this dog had wormed his way into hubby's heart and became an indoor dog. Years later I brought another rescue puppy home and he started out as an indoor dog with limited house access. He also stole hubby's heart (in a much bigger way) and became a bedroom dog and finally (much to my objections) an in-the-bed-dog. Give it some time.

I also believe that dogs need to sleep with their families (not necessarily in the bed though).

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Poolde Lover - what size of crate you use for your spoos :) ??? Or - anybody in the USA LOL - WHAT SIZE IS BEST FOR THE SPOO !??? LOL

·
Registered
578 Posts
I have the 28 x 48 x 33. I have used this for all my fosters. Jackson is 26.5' tall and can stand up in it and has plenty of room to sleep. I do wish i had a slightly bigger one. And you could make a pretty cover for it to match bedroom decor if Hubby objects to it's ugliness.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
I really want to get a Soft Crate for Saffy, but they're so expensive around here. And they would only be good for dog's that don't chew!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts