Poodle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone's poodle ever had an asthma attack? At least that is what it seems like to me - I have asthma. Teddy tries to breathe through his nose and its really strained and sounds just like me when I have an attack - I tried holding his nose so he would open his mouth and breath from there but it doesnt work - he just stops trying - to take him to the vet would take over half hour so I need some good advice - the vet just says bring him in the last time it happened - but I waited and soothed him and kept opening his mouth and he was ok. So they never told me what to do. Any ideas? He is on Theopholyne supposed to be twice a day but I have been just giving it to him in am and he has been fine. Maybe I need to give it twice a day and I will but has anyone had this problem? Thanks
Pam

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
There are occasions where Zulee will do that. I haven't figured out what triggers it.

Anyway, I call her name to get her to focus on me and I say in a calming relaxing tone, "Easy girl, take it easy." She has been taught the command easy (settle), so she understands that she needs to relax.

It takes a couple breaths, but she settles down and starts to breathe normally again.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
I think a reverse sneeze is just that... a sneeze. Some dogs do it and others don't. I don't think it is caused by anything in particular.

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I thought at first it was a reverse sneeze cause one of the minis does that but his is really more like astham - yes they both have allergies - right now on benydrl and fish oil. I think I need to give him his pill at night too. He has some scarring in his airways from having pneumonia when I first got him. I think my vet woudl scold me if he knew I was only giving him the pill once a day - but he has really been fine - its allergy season so I will give it. I just want to know what to do for an emergency lik when I have an attach I have my puffer. I did stroke him and try to keep him calm and it worked so maybe that is all I must do - but if it didn't work....I would freak! because I know how it feels not to be able to breathe. Ginger though I was playing with T eddy and that he was playing - wouldnt you think she would have know something was wrong? go figure! thanks everyone! Hope to hear more ideas.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Here is an ok article on reverse sneezing with some good videos of it. It is really harmless. We dont really have a cure or know why dogs do it. Giving an antihistamine seems to help though.

Reverse Sneezing in Dogs

As for Teddy, there is really not much you can do at home if they are having trouble breathing besides keep them calm. Because of the way their mouths are shaped it is really hard to do a nebulizer or puffer.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Really? I just opened the link too. I had this registure popup that i just closed at the bottom and i was able to see the article and videos just fine.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
I had the same issue with Ponki. Everyone kept telling me it was only a reverse sneeze. But she did it several times a day. I didn’t give her Benydryl because I didn’t think it was necessary as I figured it won’t make a difference if it’s a reverse sneeze. BIG mistake!

I ended up taking her to the vet a couple of days later because she got lethargic and had a high fever. She was diagnosed with an upper respiratory infection, which was caused by her having severe allergies. My vet said because they don’t cough or sneeze out the phlegm it can cause respiratory infections. She was on antibiotics for a week and is all better now. So now when she starts doing that I give her a Benydryl immediately.

I think there is definitely a possibility it could be asthma.

Honestly, I don’t think vets have dealt a lot with pets who have allergies… I think it’s a fairly new concept and probably the result of pollution, today’s dog food loaded with preservatives and who knows what else etc… from my point of view, I think most vets diagnose allergy symptoms incorrectly. But that’s just my experience :)

·
Registered
593 Posts
My cavs (and other short nose breeds) seem to do this a lot tho there's is more palatal caused then allergy caused..when one of my dogs does this I cover their nose and push the nose towards the ground..it helps to open their airway and they usually stop pretty quick.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Wow! Thanks for the link... that's what Tate does after he drinks too much water!

I tend to just pat him and talk to him softly until he stops.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Every once in a while Cosita does it. The first time she had a reverse sneezing attack, I panicked! I threw her in the car, ran her to the all night vet, and raced into the waiting room...I didn't even have shoes on, and it was blustery and rainy outside. The tech kind of grinned, came over to us, sealed her mouth around Cosita's nose and blew. I've never seen Cosita's eyes so wide in my life, and I about died right then and there, but lo and behold, the reverse sneezing stopped, and she didn't charge me for the emergency vet visit. We did have a good laugh about me being like a first time mother though! From then on, whenever she has an attack, I've tried not to think about where that nose has been that day, and just given her a good hard puff. It works every time. I'm sure it wouldn't work with athsma, but for reverse sneezing it sure does!

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
just another option here. My aussie does this but it is NOT respitory based.

his is food allergy based. if he's gotten into something he shouldn't- he'll do this for hours off an on. We were treating it a zillion different ways- it wasn't until i made the food connection (thanks to an old timer vet) that we stopped this symptom. (he had other symptoms including now horrid IBS :( )

1 - 16 of 16 Posts