Poodle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought Lincoln was bleeding when I saw this today, but it's bright red right under the surface of the skin. I don't know if he hurt himself on something today or if he has some sort of rash. There is one spot that resembles a pimple with a head. Check out these pics and if anyone has any insight please let me know- thanks!!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
I may be seeing wrong, but it looks sort of like something Desmond had recently, only with more irritation around it. (I'm sorry, I can't see very well because of the spots lol /fail)
He had four really bright red (blood!!) circular "target" shaped marks right under the surface of his skin, there was a puncture wound in the middle after closer examination. I thought it was a cut or something at first, but it wouldn't rub off. After a day or two, it faded out and became a pretty average looking (but long lasting!!) bug-bite mark. However, his mystery-spots weren't bumpy or rashy looking.

I had brought him in to work to be groomed (and to chill) that week, and he had not been UTD on his flea/tick preventative (oops!), so I'm assuming the new environment coupled with the lack of meds caused him to get bit by a bug I'd never seen before. Another one of the dogs at work got the same thing, and it seems to be some sort of seasonal buggy. The workers said they'd never seen anything like it in their years of experience with dogs.

I've attached a picture, I don't know if they are the same thing. It seems your pup has a lot of irritation on his belly, so they may be two totally different things. I just know Desmond had some for real bright red spots under the surface of his skin and I'd never heard of it before- it scared the mess out of me!

I would for sure keep an eye on it though. If it doesn't fade down in a couple of days, call a vet. How long has it been there? Has he been anywhere in the last few days that wasn't familiar, like a park, store, new doggy friend, etc? Think back to anything new or outdoorsy where he could have gotten a bite/rash.

Attachments

·
Registered
165 Posts
I may be seeing wrong, but it looks sort of like something Desmond had recently, only with more irritation around it. (I'm sorry, I can't see very well because of the spots lol /fail)
He had four really bright red (blood!!) circular "target" shaped marks right under the surface of his skin, there was a puncture wound in the middle after closer examination. I thought it was a cut or something at first, but it wouldn't rub off. After a day or two, it faded out and became a pretty average looking (but long lasting!!) bug-bite mark. However, his mystery-spots weren't bumpy or rashy looking.

I had brought him in to work to be groomed (and to chill) that week, and he had not been UTD on his flea/tick preventative (oops!), so I'm assuming the new environment coupled with the lack of meds caused him to get bit by a bug I'd never seen before. Another one of the dogs at work got the same thing, and it seems to be some sort of seasonal buggy. The workers said they'd never seen anything like it in their years of experience with dogs.

I've attached a picture, I don't know if they are the same thing. It seems your pup has a lot of irritation on his belly, so they may be two totally different things. I just know Desmond had some for real bright red spots under the surface of his skin and I'd never heard of it before- it scared the mess out of me!

I would for sure keep an eye on it though. If it doesn't fade down in a couple of days, call a vet. How long has it been there? Has he been anywhere in the last few days that wasn't familiar, like a park, store, new doggy friend, etc? Think back to anything new or outdoorsy where he could have gotten a bite/rash.
I don't know much about dogs and lyme disease but I do know that marks like that in humans are a sign of a deer tick bite and lyme (I'm a nurse on a cardiac floor and we get a lot of lyme on our floor cause of the cardiac side effects). The bulls-eye like rash, with the clearing center is one of the first signs. Like I said, don't know if that's the case with dogs but it's something to ask your vet about if you haven't already. I know people here have already posted about how bad the ticks are this season so it's something to think about.

Lincoln- I'm also having trouble seeing the rash cause of his spots. It's hard for me to see borders, etc. It almost looks like bad razor burn, was he recently groomed? What about sunburn? Does he lay on his back outside? Does it seem sensitive to the touch. Good luck! Hope you figure it out soon.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Hard to really say for sure because of the spots, but Lincoln's bump reminds me of a horsefly bite I had on my knee when I was a kid.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Birdie, Did you talk to your Vet about Desmond's mark? My husband had a very similar mark after getting bitten by a tick/contracting Lyme disease. I *think* that dogs might get the bullseye too.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks guys, I am keeping a close eye on it for now and we'll see how it looks tomorrow. I am wondering if Lincoln caused these marks himself from licking his skin too much. The marks are flat and smooth. He is on Advantix for about 1 months and will be due for another dose. He did have 3 ticks 1 month ago, but they were not located on his tummy- humm....

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Birdie, those are tick bites! I'd get Desmond to the vet...

Lincoln, I would get him to a vet to. Looks like bites or a rash.

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
Does he lick his privates a lot? Vegas has been doing this lately and it was developing sores, I've been cleaning the area and he's been wearing undies so he can't lick it. Not only are the sores going away, but when he's not wearing the undies he licks the area a lot less.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks

Thanks all fo the help. I think I have discovered what it was. Yesterday Lincoln was being a bad boy. He was leashed up in a "time out." I think the leash was rubbing under his belly while he was barking his brains out. I was playing out front with my son and he was unhappy because he was inside. It looks better today..... oh boy!

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Tick bites??
I looked online and saw some of the exact same marks on other dogs, everyone said it was black fly bites, if I'm remembering correctly. I saw some on humans legs as well all by black flies (or they said so).
This was probably a month ago. Like I said, the red went away after a day, and it left a little bump like a mosquito bite. I'll call the vet to be sure that he doesn't have Lyme, though. That's scary!

·
Registered
681 Posts
Dogs can get lyme disease. Our Chesapeake Bay Retriever contracted lyme disease two years ago. At first, he was fine, lost a little weight, but the antibiotics helped him. Then, all of the sudden his temperament went through a drastic change and he attacked our other dog, who had stepped in between him and my kids. We ended up having to put him to sleep, and the vet did a brain biopsy, and the lyme disease had ended up effecting his brain. It's VERY serious. And, like in humans, if you don't catch it right away, it can get very, very bad.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts