Poodle Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,247 Posts
This week Galen learned, as we are heading out in a walk, to wait at the top of the stairs until I tell him it's ok to go down. The staircase is 10 feet long. Galen's leash is 6 feet long. Therefore, if he charges ahead of me, there is a very real chance he will pull me down the stairs.

Starting a few days ago I made him wait as I started down the steps. He broke and started down after I had taken only a single step. I caught him and moved him back to his place. After a couple tries I was able to go halfway down the stairs with him waiting at the top, so I called out OK to let him know he could start down. We practiced this every day before every walk.

Today I was distracted and started down the steps without asking Galen to wait. As I got 3/4 down I noticed he wasn't following me. I looked up, and the he stood watching me, waiting for my permission to come down.

·
Registered
3,523 Posts
Renn is behaving on walks and no longer barking at people or other dogs. He will go into his sit and stay as they pass or keep on walking. He is also allowing a selected few to approach him and pet him while remaining in a sit. He also can be loose around my husband, and I am not worried about him knocking him over. Oh and he now comes when called in the backyard and will return to come inside the house anytime I ask.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Raven jumped the broad jump in class correctly on Monday! She used to do it beautifully but fell in it one time 2 years ago and has not been willing to do it correctly since. The only way I was able to get her over was run along with her. This week she decided to do it with the verbal cue😊 Not sure about the next time but celebrating this time!

·
Registered
466 Posts
What successes have you had recently with your poodles- big or small?
[/
I am still trying to believe this is real, but Mochi, after almost 5 years of not letting me trim her nails, suddenly lets me trim her nails without a fight! When she was young, I let the groomer trim her nails. Then, I needed to save money so started grooming at home. I quicked her twice and ever after I would have to have my husband hold her in a bear hug and she would still struggle with all her might when I got to the foot that I had quicked her on. The dremel was just as evil in her mind. Anyway, 5 years of this and my husband has an umbilical hernia that is so painful not only can he not hold a squirming dog on his lap, he can't even sit up some days. So last month, I decided it has been too long since her nails were trimmed. First I tried holding her with my legs, which worked but it seemed too traumatic for her and looked like a weird wrestling move in the end. Next, I wrapped her up in a blanket and left two long bits in either side. Managed to get her on her back, which she HATES and held her down with my legs on the bits of blanket, and gave her treat after treat after treat. Then when she was calm, showed her the dremel, treat, turn it on, treat, hold a foot, treat, dremel the nail. SHE JUST LAY THERE!!!!:eek::eek::eek: I did all her nails with a running commentary of what a good girl she was, treat, let her up and more treats and a party.

I didn't think it would work so fast but ever since, I've been able to get her to lay down between my legs each week, only struggle a little when I put her on her back, but as soon as she sees the treat bag, she just accepts and stays until the end when she gets all the treats now. No blanket needed! Chuui never gave me a problem from day one, she sees the dremel and gets excited because she knows there's a treat parade at the end. Mochi doesn't run away like she used to when I pull it out. I am so thrilled! I was worried it would always be a fight if my husband wasn't here to help. So happy she made this breakthrough!:D

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
That's huge BrooklynBonnie!!! I know how hard it is to fight with a dog about nails. I do the one treat one nail method with my moms dog and have seen great but slow improvement, basically turning the sound of the nail clipper into a cue that means treats arrive.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts