Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I often find myself complaining about things Annie is bad at (like squirrels). I am trying to remember to count the successes , and stuff she does well without me trying.

Today was one - I am moving out of my apartment and getting rid of some furniture before I put it all in storage. Had people over today to pick stuff up and left her in my bedroom behind a gate.
I was SO worried she would be annoying and loud. She dislikes being locked behind the gate at the best of times, let alone when there are people. Plus, I am an introvert and had almost no one over when she was a puppy. So I set out a bunch of treats to feed her, etc. Nope. She barked when they rang the bell, then just... stood there, then put herself on my bed for a snooze! By the third group, she didnt even get off my bed, and when they asked to meet her, I actually had to tell her to get off the bed and come greet company when I moved the gate . Good girl, Annie!

What successes have you had recently with your poodles- big or small?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Great idea for a thread, celebrating is important!!

It sounds like your move was much less stressful than it could have been thanks to your superstar!

We have been working on only pottying in one area of the yard, to no success. He much prefers to go on walks thank you very much, which is fine now in the summer, but there’s going to come a time when he will need to use the yard, -40 degree blizzards etc. So anytime he signals or it’s usual potty time, or before a walk we hangout in the potty place for a while so I can hopefully find an opportunity to tell him he’s the best when he goes potty in the designated area. Until last night, there had been no success, he had waited me out each time, even to the point of him falling asleep.

Then last night we were playing in the yard and he took himself to the spot for a pee. May have been coincidence, but I’ll take it!

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good puppy!

If you are still working on it, I found it really successful to teach mine to potty in the yard before our walks. So we would stand there, her on leash, until she pottied, then immediately go for a short or long walk, every time- it might just be 3 houses down and back. She LOVES walks too, so that was a huge reward and ended the "la dee da, I dont care that it is cold and you are in a tshirt, I think I need to sniff more, I dont wanna go in or potty" nonsense.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Yes, it is good to remember the successes. Misha's been bad about screaming his sorrows when I leave him alone lately. Even if my boyfriend is home he will wail. Not really bad separation anxiety, as he doesn't seem to actually get anxious. Just a very dramatic dog and he's not so used to it since covid. But yesterday I left him while I got groceries and gave him a dried lamb tongue when I left. He judged that sufficient compensation because my boyfriend reported that he didn't cry at all. Just ate his treat and then curled up on the couch with bf and went to sleep. Good dog.

I am also happy to report that he hasn't tried to steal my underwear for a while now! Even when he has had the opportunity. That was his longtime weakness.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Successes are so important!

Penny has gotten over loud sounds (thunder, fireworks, loud trucks, etc.). To reinforce it, I continue to give a few treats and/or praise.

She has also mastered her recall while we're at the dog park. I'm relieved I can call her, she'll run over, and we'll walk to the car (unleashed), and she'll hop in with no fuss :)

·
Super Moderator
6,451 Posts
Yay Annie! That's a big one!

I'm currently celebrating our quiet evenings. Since I spent two episodes of Seinfeld clicking and treating for calm (first for elbows down, then only for chin down), she seems to understand better what's expected of her in those tricky hours between her last play session and bedtime. I'm hoping this is a first step towards phasing out her x-pen.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No underwear stealing is an IMPORTANT milestone lol.

That recall at the dog park is really impressive- occasionally when no one else is there I have issues with Annie. I even drive away with out her every now and then! It's like she is saying, hey, stupid human, not done here yet didnt see any friends. Gah. So now we play in the parking lot after we leave the dog park, so she is more inclined to come.

And yes PtP, CALM is a tricky one to master.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Yay Annie and everyone else’s poodle successes!

My spoo brought me a rat rather than her toy at the park. It was dangling by the tail in her mouth but she dropped it when I told her too and left it to run away - so taking that as a win (and she didn’t kill it 😅). And she has been ignoring all rabbits/squirrels/rodents on walks on leash and will offer up a sit when she sees one and then looks at me for direction! No more pulling or trying to lunge at them 🙌🏻

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Yay Annie and everyone else’s poodle successes!

My spoo brought me a rat rather than her toy at the park. It was dangling by the tail in her mouth but she dropped it when I told her too and left it to run away - so taking that as a win (and she didn’t kill it 😅). And she has been ignoring all rabbits/squirrels/rodents on walks on leash and will offer up a sit when she sees one and then looks at me for direction! No more pulling or trying to lunge at them 🙌🏻
Awesome! High five🖐!

·
Registered
732 Posts
Fluffy has not mounted our other dog or attempted to in well over a month! I know it’s kind of a gross milestone, but oh so nice. He only did it infrequently, but... Ew. And we can pass most people now without him pulling at them. As for a recent success... He finally figured out “sit pretty”! He can’t hold the position very long, but I no longer have to guide him as firmly.

And I swear, one day I’ll stop blabbing about her, and I know she’s not a Poodle, but I took Misty down to our local community center. A person in a motorized wheelchair passed us while Misty was in a sit-stay. A few weeks ago, she would have flipped out (I don’t think she’s ever seen a motorized wheelchair before, and she used to be sooo reactive to anything that moves). Instead, she kept her eyes on me the whole time! As the lady passed with a smile her face, she said two words:
“Good dog!”
I felt like slamming the leash down and busting out some moves right there!

·
Premium Member
23,624 Posts
Today I kept eyes up attention despite two packs of barky CKCS at my ring rental place. It started a bit shaky but once Javelin really checked in he stayed with me all the way for the better part of an hour.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts